It's my drive-way, not yours!

So, came home Friday afternoon to find a dark blue Toyota Carina parked on my drive-way down the side of my house :open_mouth:

Closer inspection revealed that it was tax-less and had been since the end of last year.

Now my own car tax had run out at the end of February this year, but as I pretty much have free use of the wagon I haven’t bothered to re-insure and renew the tax on my car and have properly declared SORN to the DVLA at this address where my car is registered. No problem there then, but seemingly because my car is sitting here tax-less then it’s a free haven and dumping ground for others to dump their tax-less (and no doubt insurance-less) motors on my patch too :imp:

I get on well with the Asian family next door to me in the non-adjoining house and am appreciative of them putting my wheelie bin out for me with theirs through the week when I’m away etc, so I asked them if they knew whose motor it was. The guy said it might be something to do with the guy living in the house backing onto my own.

Anyway, later this evening there’s a knocking at the door and it’s said guy. He told me it was his car and it would only[/i] be there for two weeks as he “couldn’t park it on the road because the tax has run out”.
I pointed out to him that the drive-way belonged to my property and not his which I had specifically made a point of clarifying with the landlady before I took on the tenancy of the property. He said that instead, he would park his car where mine is and I could park in front of him so that if I needed to go out in my own car then I wouldn’t need to get him to move his.
I thought this was pretty damned cheeky and yet again reminded him that it was private property belonging to my house and was not available for anyone else to park their vehicles on it. He didn’t seem to grasp the idea.
I was at a loss of what to do next as I try to get on with folks and really didn’t want to fall out about it so I agreed that as I didn’t foresee myself wanting to move my own car in the next two weeks that he could park there for the maximum two weeks that he said he needed only. Thereafter I wanted it off my drive-way.
I’m immediately regretting agreeing to this as I know that two weeks down the line it will still be there, tax-less and he still won’t have any intention of moving it and it will be a case of, “just give me two more weeks”, which, in my experience, will still be there after that time too.
I know if it came to the crunch I could probably bell the fuzz up about “illegal dumping on my property” etc to which they would typically reply, “it’s a civil matter, sir”, but I don’t want to resort to this.
Suggestions welcome, cheers. :cry:

try the council.
they should have an abandoned car hotline.

or go and tell him that your car is up for sale and a few would be buyers are coming round to view and drive the car and you need to have your car accessible. if he says he will move it to the back then sy you dont want people to think you are a car dealer.

Or leave a brick handy in the hope that a passing social problem will remove your problem.

Stick a “For Sale” sign on it. :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

Colingl:
Stick a “For Sale” sign on it. :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

:laughing: Cracking idea :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :laughing: :sunglasses:

ROB K, why not just go back to the bloke and say that you have changed your mind , and that you want him to move the car NOW, to keep the peace with him (as you say) tell him that you are worried sick and can not sleep at night ,incase something happens to it while it is on your property,if he still insist for it to stay there for 2 weeks…dont YOU back down ,…really point out that you are really sorry BUT YOU WANT IT MOVING ASAP,and that you DONT want to fall out with him over it ,if he refuses threaten him with the police.

Lynne:
ROB K, why not just go back to the bloke and say that you have changed your mind , and that you want him to move the car NOW, to keep the peace with him (as you say) tell him that you are worried sick and can not sleep at night ,incase something happens to it while it is on your property,if he still insist for it to stay there for 2 weeks…dont YOU back down ,…really point out that you are really sorry BUT YOU WANT IT MOVING ASAP,and that you DONT want to fall out with him over it ,if he refuses threaten him with the police.

:confused: :frowning:

tell the local gypsys they can have it for scrap and tell the owner it was stolen :smiley:

did you tell him you would not be liable for damage or theft whilst the car in on your property ?

give him his 2 weeks then tell him if it ain’t gone he will find it parked on the road minus a window.becuase he will just string you along.

can’t stand people who take liberty’s :smiling_imp:

jon

:question: :question: :question: JONBOY, Why :question: its your drive

If you don’t use your car then scatter some nails :imp: .

Rob

If it’s safe (for you) to do so then get a trolley jack, jack up the back end and push/pull the car into the road ( some friends to help would be useful). When it is safely parked in the road, call the cops as it is then an untaxed vehicle on the road and it is their problem

Jules

take a pair of cutters and cut the handbrake cable and push it off your property,then get the local plods involved. if that fails get the local punks to tourch it. that will get the police attention. :wink:

charge him for parking…go down town, find out how much it costs per hour in the most expensive car park and start charging that from midnight tonight…It will be gone in the morning

Well guess what :question: Two weeks down the line and it’s still here. What’s even more annoying are that his 87 kids are using it as a play thing or summat and are constantly milling round my front door jabbering away at the top of their voices and generally being a pain in the ■■■■.

Time for some action now.

mmmmm i think the MAJORITY of us thought that it would be
ACTION does speak much much LOUDER than words
:wink:

I think ejecting it from your property is the best option, but tell the bloke you are going to do it. Even ask the police if it’s legal to do it if it would make you feel better about doing it. They can advise you without taking action.

Good luck and let us know what happens. :wink:

The sensible thing to do is contact the landlord or lady and request them to notify the cars owner of it’s need for removal it is also the landlord or lady’s responsibility to contact the cops, as it is their property.
But what I’d do is make a quick phone call to my mates in Castle Vale, Birmingham and ask them to sort either the car or the bloke. :smiling_imp: