Makes me stop and think

I suppose it must be my age,but now and then when I hear on the radio or TV about a singer or actor dying it makes me stop and think.

Mostly because it seems that many of these people are ones I have grown up with,not literally of course,but their career has at some point influenced my life.

For instance,over the past few years the likes of Ian Dury,Robert Palmer,John Entwistle,Adam Faith,Bob Monkhouse are all people I have come to admire over the years whilst growing up.

What untimely death of a celeb has made you stop and think?

Two of my friends parents have died within the last year. Both were in their late forties/early fifties. Both were the nicest people you could meet and would do anyhting for you. Both were heavy smokers. Both died of “smoking-related” deaths.
Damiens Mum, dropped dead of a heart attack one Sunday morning in her living room whilst having breakfast. Left behind a teenage daughter, son in his twenties and a partner.
John’s Dad quit smoking (he smoked 20-30 a day) and died of lung cancer 6 months later. Hows that for tough justice? He left behind a 30 year old son, daughter in her late 30s and a loving wife.

I have just quit smoking!! It’s hard to watch your friends grieving, but I don’t think I could imagine my family suffering like that because of my stupidity. 8 weeks without a ■■■ and still going strong!!!

keep it up lostpup i,ve tried but i got no will power

Managed to give up the evil weed for four years,then fell of the wagon. Too long sitting in a cab doing nothing :blush:

Well done lostpup. I gave up on Boxing Day and still going strong.
If you had to have a ■■■ now, you’d probably be sick anyway so it’s not worth
the effort! Keep going!! Cheers guys from Gearjammer’s better half!

Well done Lost Pup.

I have to say that I am a smoker who would really love to give up but have no will power and i smoke mostly while driving long distances.

A lot of my old friends have died lately and it makes me realise just how little time we have on this world. My Mother died when i was 20, she was aged just 54, my Dad is still alive at 89 years and I left him on Sunday knowing deep down inside that it was probably the last time I will see him alive and he knew it. :frowning: