Pay as you go driving!

lancpudn:

the maoster:
An I phone battery lasts me two years approximately before it drops below 85% efficiency. 85% sounds still quite good, but believe me it isn’t. I’d be lucky to get more than 6 hours usual use before it went flat. I can have the battery replaced for around £20. How much would a similar Tesla battery cost me?

No axe to grind either way tbh, just curious as battery life and replacement (and presumably disposal of said batteries) seems to be the elephant in the room.

There are a few companies nowadays that refurbish EV battery packs or upgrade smaller battery packs for larger ones particular Nissan Leaf’s, Crashed leaf’s in scrapyards are in great demand by these guys who buy them all up, There’s a company in Holland who manufacture an electrical component piece of equipment to make a 40Kwh battery work in a leaf that had a 24Kwh battery pack for a fraction of the price of a new main traction battery pack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bY66PGpR7jk&t=94s

What’s the weight of the 40 kwh battery v the original 24 kwh and what’s the design weight of the Leaf ?.
40 kwh x 16p + road fuel duty + 20% VAT + the cost of the battery pack.
As opposed to around 5 gallons of petrol. :unamused: