More Hopeful News

Well, it is for some of us who have being feeling a little underwhelmed with the way things have been going lately.
cnbc.com/2020/07/13/million … overy.html
I doubt many owner drivers or hauliers would be expected to join in, certainly no drivers, but it looks good to me.
I’m sure there are others equally wealthy, who feel very differently, but nice to know nor all the rich are totally selfish.

So to help the “poor” people these wealthy people want to be taxed more?
Why do I smell a virtue signalling rat?
This is another case of people going look at me, I really care about what ever minority group or cause is flavour of the month, but mostly, please twitter brown shirts I’m not one of those nasty capitalists so please don’t turn on me.

Surely if they were genuine in their wish to help, they could save time and money and bypass whichever government collection service they’ve signed up to and spend the money directly to help people. Maybe they could build new studios, finance massive movie productions, invest in their factories, invest in research, these things will provide jobs for ordinary people and for those still left behind in the economic wasteland, maybe donate to charities, support foodbanks, (creating more jobs in the food industry) finance hospitals and other care services, (creating even more jobs) especially in countries without free healthcare at the point of delivery. But I suppose that would involve actually having to spend money instead of getting browny points without doing anything and then blaming governments.

I do disagree. Easy to knock and mock by using the old ‘virtue signalling’ trope.
By saying this out loud they may shut up other belly-aching rich people who think that ‘trickle down’ is a valid argument. Those who bleat and try every (■■■■■■■■■■■■) trick to keep their cash.
Nothing wrong with poor or average income earners to call for higher taxation is there? So why be cynical if a wealthy person calls for the same?
Governments are (or should) be better at spending or indeed investing cash than any, inevitably, biased individual. Better to put it in the pot rather than in a well intentioned, but ill thought out vanity project.
Are they getting a rosy glow from behaving honourably? I hope so, and I see nowt wrong in that.