Dead Strangler

Very sad to hear of the death of the Stranglers keyboard magician Dave Greenfield.A truly wondrous musical cornerstone of one of our finest rock groups of all time.Brutally beautiful music,…Walk on by,Golden Brown,he brought the songs to life I reckon.R.I.P great man. :cry:

Well said Sir!
I saw the Stranglers a good few times from 1977 onwards, they never quite fitted in but they didn’t care, great band, some great songs, a sad loss to real music.

Covid got him apparently. :open_mouth:
I preferred early 70’s to late 70’s and didn’t really like all the new wave/punk type stuff but these were the ones I most remember of theirs.

youtube.com/watch?v=xgzDQwWygAc

youtube.com/watch?v=5MlTg4RNQcc

noisycarl:
Well said Sir!
I saw the Stranglers a good few times from 1977 onwards, they never quite fitted in but they didn’t care, great band, some great songs, a sad loss to real music.

Yes they flew under a punk flag of convenience but differed on account of their sheer talent and originality.That black and white album is the very essence of a dark humoured but intelligent musicality that will never date.Nice&sleazy says it all.

Carryfast:
Covid got him apparently. :open_mouth:
I preferred early 70’s to late 70’s and didn’t really like all the new wave/punk type stuff but these were the ones I most remember of theirs.

youtube.com/watch?v=xgzDQwWygAc

youtube.com/watch?v=5MlTg4RNQcc

Brilliant,a reminder of when rock had balls n brains.Think the heroes clip had Jean jacque Burnell pinching cornwells vocals just to be a little nerd.No mistaking Hugh’s Lou Reed flavoured snarlings.Wish there was a clip of where,“Death and night and blood”,seguaways with “Do you Wanna”, absolutely magestic.

Way I’ve always seen it,there’s 2 types of Rock…Iconic (Lizzy,Zep,Purple,Sabbath) and moronic…(Leppard,Jovi,Whitesnake,Kiss)
I think Hugh n crew were a distinct class apart :sunglasses: I realise they’re still a going concern albeit a nostalgia trip,but a great legacy nonetheless.

manalishi:
Way I’ve always seen it,there’s 2 types of Rock…Iconic (Lizzy,Zep,Purple,Sabbath) and moronic…(Leppard,Jovi,Whitesnake,Kiss)
I think Hugh n crew were a distinct class apart :sunglasses: I realise they’re still a going concern albeit a nostalgia trip,but a great legacy nonetheless.

got to agree with you there mate…my mrs liked the pretty boys in leppard,jovi,and david coverdale :imp: grrr…just nancy boys in my eyes

carryfast-yeti:

manalishi:

got to agree with you there mate…my mrs liked the pretty boys in leppard,jovi,and david coverdale :imp: grrr…just nancy boys in my eyes

Nearly forgot maiden,although I wish I could :laughing: peurile on stilts,they made Saxon look like Crosby,Stills&Nash.

Coverdale was superb as the mk 2 Purples vocalist but he squandered any remote reputational,rehabilitations with all that laughable,MTV era,videoing White snake crapola.Just a good face and voice at the days end.

manalishi:

carryfast-yeti:

manalishi:

Nearly forgot maiden,although I wish I could :laughing: peurile on stilts,they made Saxon look like Crosby,Stills&Nash.

Exceptions proving rules couldn’t really call these nutters nancy’s. :smiling_imp: :laughing:
For me this was as close as punk ever got to early Slade regardless of the anarchic lunacy of the Punk scene which I never got.
This wasn’t a half bad attempt so long it’s played deafeningly loud enough through the super A amp. :wink:
youtube.com/watch?v=VcauCclfytI

carryfast-yeti:

manalishi:

Rubbish,Coverdale in Purple,‘burn’ at California jam '74,whitesnake with Paice,Murray,Moody n Marsden were class act late 70’s early 80’s,even till Sykes was sacked

lynchy:

carryfast-yeti:

manalishi:

Rubbish,Coverdale in Purple,‘burn’ at California jam '74,whitesnake with Paice,Murray,Moody n Marsden were class act late 70’s early 80’s,even till Sykes was sacked

not proper rock bands tho…compared to Motorhead :sunglasses:

lynchy:

carryfast-yeti:

manalishi:

Yep they were a promising band with those personel you name check,and Mel Galleyas well but things started going distinctly south with the latter MTV years with an interchangeable line up razor cheeked,male models,striking clichéd,hackneyed rock god poses with Coverdale overdoing the rock-alpha routine,airbrushed codswallop and zero artistic cred ,in other words,way too much Charlie. :open_mouth: Agree with the California jam,he had a lot of promise back then but I guess his ego wrote cheques,that his talent couldn’t ultimately cash.