The balcony (40years)

Well 40 years ago, a few blokes held a flash bang party on a The balcony,
How many Tnet members were invited.

bbc.com/news/in-pictures-52460013

Been in many pubs and met many who claim to have been on the balcony but can’t talk about it however, whilst I was managing the Lichfield Vaults in Hereford 20 years ago one of my regulars called Eric was there and confirmed by some of his colleagues.

Nice guy I often wonder if he’s still alive and tipping “Dark and Stormys” down his neck like they were going out of fashion.

Missed it. Puncture on the way to catch The Herald to get there doncha know.

the maoster:

We’re you on your way back from Doha :smiley:

I met and remain friends with a great bloke who picked up the pieces. I don’t mean bits of the balcony window, he introduced a study into PTSD and now runs his own company. Unfortunately this siege affected many people, some of whom have died. He served in Northern Ireland and Afghanistan and saw the damage been done to these lads, 10, 15, 30 years down the line. One guy who was inside the building came from a broken home and joined the army at 15, he was angry, aggressive and an arse. The Army sorted him out, trained him, gave him a purpose and eventually a gun. He was treated for PTSD and left the army angry, aggressive and alcoholic. I supported the soldiers through fundraising and donations.

The SAS were in the building for 17 minutes, many truck stop balcony soldiers are still banging on 40 years later.

it was a week long jolly boys outing on a sunny bank holiday.
no more than another training excersise usilg live ammo.
apologies to all those that got " the dambusters" film interrupted when the acrobatic/firework display started.
theres just no pleasing some people… :slight_smile:

And they are still looking for her :smiley:

the maoster:

What, you too?

I remember it well.I cleared the room that I was allocated of bandits in one minute then got back to the important stuff of watching the snooker on the tele in the room.
Ok the first bit was a lie …
it actually only took me 30 seconds.I was the only one of the crew who chose a tommy gun and was really ■■■■■■ off at being called in and missing some of that snooker match.Bonus points for anyone who can remember the players.

would it have been hurricane ■■■■■■■■ higgins and interesting davis?
they were in their heydays around that time.
its difficult to remember as i got ■■■■■■ at maggies house for a celebration after she berated us for not doing the job properly as instructed ,as although we got told to kill the lot,then we had to leave one alive as the tv cameras were watching and waiting for the double tap on the back lawn. :open_mouth:

I was told similar.They said make sure to sort the good ones from the bad first.But I’d forgot to put the safety on the Tommy and wiped out everyone in the room good and bad before I even knew what was happening.Even one who’d climbed on top of the drinks cabinet they told me after because the Tommy has a habit of lifting when it’s on automatic and they didn’t teach us that in training.

Luckily the Glenfiddich and the tele were both missed in the unintentional hail of .45 bullets.
They were going to call it the May Day Bank Holiday massacre but Liz stepped in and said that would be too embarrassing to the regiment.

Carryfast and Dieseldog , was it you two in that shoot out in Gibraltar many years ago , I can only see the eyes from wearing balaclavas , to this day , the bullet holes are still there ?
And while we are at it , M15 are recruiting , no experience necessary .

i believe we preferred brownings for pistols,and heckler and koch for playing with.
i do stand to be corrected on this though the memory fades a tad over 40 years. :slight_smile:

dieseldog999:
i believe we preferred brownings for pistols,and heckler and koch for playing with.
i do stand to be corrected on this though the memory fades a tad over 40 years. :slight_smile:

You’ll remember it they gave us our choice of weapons in the regiment.I told em to keep the pistol and never trusted that German stuff what a stupid name for a gun.
Don’t ask me what all the rope ladders and going through the windows was all about.I just knocked on the front door and told em I was a plumber and I’d come to unblock the bogs.I had the tommy in my tool bag.
I also had a laugh on the train on the way there when I let off all the flash bangs by all accounts the guard jumped off the train in panic somewhere between Wimbledon and Vauxhall he was never seen again.I knew I wouldn’t need those.Obviously that didn’t get onto the news.

Carryfast:
I was told similar.They said make sure to sort the good ones from the bad first.But I’d forgot to put the safety on the Tommy and wiped out everyone in the room good and bad before I even knew what was happening.Even one who’d climbed on top of the drinks cabinet they told me after because the Tommy has a habit of lifting when it’s on automatic and they didn’t teach us that in training.

Luckily the Glenfiddich and the tele were both missed in the unintentional hail of .45 bullets.
They were going to call it the May Day Bank Holiday massacre but Liz stepped in and said that would be too embarrassing to the regiment.

Glenfiddich? Very much the John Smith’s of Whisky…

Since I’ve been on furlough I reckon I would be qualified to do it today. :sunglasses:
I’ve watched the first 2 series of ‘‘Who Dares Wins’’ and so far 47 episodes of Seal team, and… for the second time :open_mouth:

So I know exactly what a sitrep is. an S vest, a Haho a Helo jump, an exfil., an AAR., an HVT, an Oscar Mike and a WTF. :laughing:
And Maosters gonna flog me his old Army boots.
When I find out what colour the boathouse is, I reckon I’m ‘‘On it’’. :sunglasses:

So don’t mess with me. :smiley:
:unamused: :laughing:

toby1234abc:
Carryfast and Dieseldog , was it you two in that shoot out in Gibraltar many years ago , I can only see the eyes from wearing balaclavas , to this day , the bullet holes are still there ?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
it was only the spaniardos that wore the ballys over there.
to me and my mates it was just a weeks fun in the sun with a bit of live ammo practice at the end.
the only downside was coming back with a tan line around the stab vest. :slight_smile:

good vid in 4 parts starting here.

youtube.com/watch?v=a5nEqXt2wGE

dieseldog999:

toby1234abc:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
it was only the spaniardos that wore the ballys over there.
to me and my mates it was just a weeks fun in the sun with a bit of live ammo practice at the end.
the only downside was coming back with a tan line around the stab vest. :slight_smile:

good vid in 4 parts starting here.

youtube.com/watch?v=a5nEqXt2wGE

Do you remember the the other safety lock accident involving the FAL rifle, a lot of beer and a lot of wiped out monkeys on the rock who didn’t have time to run before they knew what hit em.By all accounts it took decades for their population to recover.

Dieseldog and Carryfast , are you both paid of members of FARC : Revolutionary armed forces of Columbia and did you drive for Pablo Escobar in rigid multi drops around Medellíñ ,Bogotá ?

toby1234abc:
Dieseldog and Carryfast , are you both paid of members of FARC : Revolutionary armed forces of Columbia and did you drive for Pablo Escobar in rigid multi drops around Medellíñ ,Bogotá ?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
they were paying decent trip money for 1 hitters from medellin to tijuana with the backload as bundles of cash but i wasnt interested as they didnt have a decent V8 with a sleeper cab to be doing it in and it was all handball.
even driving on the wire,you would have needed to be on drugs to try running like that. :slight_smile: