Old mother Shipton

Not something you tend to generally hear a great deal about tbh,but I did some digging on this phenomenon recently and its fairly interesting stuff.
She lived,around I believe, the Tudor period and was born,somewhat deformed and therefore abandoned by her mother to spend her days living in a Yorkshire cave,which has long been a tourist Mecca to this day.She had clairvoyance abilities similar to Nostradamus and wrote many prophetic poems that are fairly mind blowing if you have a butchers.They were written in the knowledge she would be burnt at the stake for witchcraft,so like her contemporary, Nostradamus, they were crafted with a certain ambiguity element but sweet Jesus they seem powerfully pertinent to this very day.

I think the site is crystal or something similar with some interpretation input from various folks.Recommended :wink:

yes I ve been there its in knaresboro. a interesting story and a nice walk along the river. and a even nicer few pints in town at the end of the walk… :slight_smile:

As a child I remember hanging a teddy bear on a rope below the water falling on it, it turned to stone. I think Paul Daniels bought it. (not the teddy bear) but mother shiptons cave. Very fond memories of that place and as you have stated, an interesting history behind it.

yep, petrification, there was a shoe of queen victorias and a hat of john waynes hanging from there also…

And probably a weasel p@ss ,Costa, vending- machine; not too far from the locale.“Got to corporatise this folks”:twisted: They say Ursulas poetry (ms) was ghost written but that’s a claim also made against Will Shakespeare’s body of work,reputed to be from the quills of either,Francis Bacon or Christopher Marlowe.So who knows :unamused:
She was considered dangerous enough by Henry vlll to be declared “witch of York” with a bounty for capture during the Northern Rebellions I read somewhere.

Ah…one of the interpreter’s names just happens to be a certain,Mr Richard Head. :slight_smile:

We went last year, gotta say we were very disappointed in the cave, we were expecting more, a lot more! but it was a nice day, we went to brimham rocks the next day and that was awesome!

stevieboy308:
We went last year, gotta say we were very disappointed in the cave, we were expecting more, a lot more! but it was a nice day, we went to brimham rocks the next day and that was awesome!

Blimey mate what more could you be expecting exactly :unamused: a cave that contained a hag,albeit one with visionary abilities that are frankly awesome?