Have you seen any nice birds?

Since the lock down, I noticed more birds of prey along the roadside, the other day, I seen whitish owl, the size of a cat, never seen that before, but it is a UK species, I googled it

Probably a Barn owl. Nocturnal mainly but could’ve been disturbed by the overwhelming silence nowadays :wink:

Seen a cracking bird this morning at 6 oclock.

She had her tight sport leggings on running with headphones on.

If it wasnt for the quiet roads i mightve been victim to a head on colission.

Clocked a manx shearwater over the Solent last week,awesome critter and not as rare as i thought apparently :neutral_face: Been putting my new Steiner- binocs through their paces lately,fab brand,those eye-cups make a big difference.There’s been a rumour of a Glossy-Ibis circulating,making it’s second visit to I.O.W and crazily; Hoopee’s have been seen in an asda car-park in TOTTON for petes sake,The national bird of Israel.

No signs of any of those Sea Eagles (did i say owls) ?:oops: ,stupidly introduced a coupla years ago (why not something more sensible like Red-Kites ffs) Think they got bored and vamoosed tbh. :slight_smile:

Fantastic, what annoys me, my dashcam is always just when I want to keep a recording

Last week coming back from fort william, down thro rannoch moor I seen a massive bird of pray, huge, big white tail feathers, couldnt tell u what type it was but it was awesome.

Then sunday going down the m6 just before lancaster, walking along the concrete central reservation were 4 female pheasants.

Yesterday I was parked up at bridge of Orchy, woke up to a heard of dear grazing about 50m off to my left,

Tonymcg:
Last week coming back from fort william, down thro rannoch moor I seen a massive bird of pray, huge, big white tail feathers, couldnt tell u what type it was but it was awesome.

Then sunday going down the m6 just before lancaster, walking along the concrete central reservation were 4 female pheasants.

Yesterday I was parked up at bridge of Orchy, woke up to a heard of dear grazing about 50m off to my left,

Could well have been an Osprey in that neck of the woods,they’re doing well in the breeding stakes happy to say :slight_smile:

Red kites are enjoying a welcome population explosion now that farmers have been educated to the fact that like buzzards they are carrion birds and therefore no threat to their LIVEstock (see what I did there?n :smiley: ) you can see at least 12 breeding pairs of kites on any journey along the A43 from Corby to Stamford. Pleased to see a pair over my house last weekend, so hopefully they’re spreading north as well.

■■■■, got all excited for nothing !!! :cry:

manalishi:
Clocked a manx shearwater over the Solent last week,awesome critter and not as rare as i thought apparently :neutral_face: Been putting my new Steiner- binocs through their paces lately,fab brand,those eye-cups make a big difference.There’s been a rumour of a Glossy-Ibis circulating,making it’s second visit to I.O.W and crazily; Hoopee’s have been seen in an asda car-park in TOTTON for petes sake,The national bird of Israel.

No signs of any of those Sea Eagles (did i say owls) ?:oops: ,stupidly introduced a coupla years ago (why not something more sensible like Red-Kites ffs) Think they got bored and vamoosed tbh. :slight_smile:

i’ve not spotted the Sea Eagles either :frowning: M40 Chiltern’s area awash with Red Kites these day’s :slight_smile:

Noticed for past few days.my windscreen is contestantly splattered with dead insects and flies.

carryfast-yeti:

manalishi:

i’ve not spotted the Sea Eagles either :frowning: M40 Chiltern’s area awash with Red Kites these day’s :slight_smile:

I think we can say the project was a big fat failure tbh,another misguided vanity,ego w_nk by cretins and Pillock’s,the sort of morons advocating bears and wolf re-introduction into Scotland for heavens sake.

Left to it’s own devices OL mother nature provides the answers ,ie the I.O.W is top-heavy with Buzzards that are doing a more harmonious job of keeping the rabbit populace in check than Mixamatosis ever did and in the bargain providing a pleasant visual/vocal payoff,but sea eagles,as has proved to be the case,have duly scarpered to the mainland,doubtless due to the,less than bounteous fish supplies,i would imagine the whole project is dependent on.The Island sheep farmers,to say nothing of the red-squirrel populace must be hail-marying at this ludicrous project fail :unamused:

Always been a casual birder tbh,I wouldn’t go out my way to witness the arrival of some pale looking finch,blow in from its African trip,but sweet Jesus I’d make an exception for the more exotic examples like Hoopees.

I tend to get the best random paybacks when fishing off coast,last year I had a flock of Sanderling’s in my peripheral sight,doing their amazing aerobatic,sea-skimming routine and I became aware that one of them parted from the flock and bizarrely… Stopped midflight :open_mouth: ,except it didn’t… It was interdicted by a roaming Peregrine Falcon that plucked the thing about 2 foot from the water,a seriously,calculated,hazardous manoeuvre by the falcon which probably wouldn’t have gone well if it dunked in the mane. :sunglasses:.When out seeking these avian spectacles,disappointments usually the order of the day I find. :smiley:

the maoster:
Red kites are enjoying a welcome population explosion now that farmers have been educated to the fact that like buzzards they are carrion birds and therefore no threat to their LIVEstock (see what I did there?n :smiley: ) you can see at least 12 breeding pairs of kites on any journey along the A43 from Corby to Stamford. Pleased to see a pair over my house last weekend, so hopefully they’re spreading north as well.

Here’s one I spotted at home a few months back, rare as we don’t normally have birds of prey over the estate.
(Appologies for the quality, he caught me by surprise, and I only had the 75-300 lens on the camera, so had to severely drop the image)

the nodding donkey:

the maoster:

Here’s one I spotted at home a few months back, rare as we don’t normally have birds of prey over the estate.
(Appologies for the quality, he caught me by surprise, and I only had the 75-300 lens on the camera, so had to severely drop the image)

Wow man think you nailed that,a joy to behold,almost moves me to poetry.

Type in Hoopee and Pininterest has some remarkable bird images.
What a paradise this world was meant to be before rampant industrial usurpery was the mo.

Heard my first chiff chaff of the year…this week.
Bugger to spot though.

commonrail:
Heard my first chiff chaff of the year…this week.
Bugger to spot though.

I’ve been hearing a woodpecker in the wood just behind where I live. He’s proving very elusive so far.
I did find a squirrel roost, so I’ll be keeping a close eye on that.