Car Dealers and Sales

A sensible question. I hope!

Last week, our son, a carer for the elderly and incapable who has to visit several homes a day, several times a day had a non fault accident in his own car which has been subsequently recovered, assessed and written off. He holds business insurance as he is not simply commuting, he also has no claims, protection, breakdown recovery and a courtesy car included.

Now here lies the problem, he is currently in a hire car supplied by the insurance company, the damaged car has gone to the big breaker in the sky and the settlement figure is better than expected in the current market. once payment is made, he only has 5 days to return the hire car.

He wants to buy a new or nearly new car, but cant because the showrooms are closed for the forseeable, we dont really want to buy private without an engineers report or some warranty. Normally it wouldnt be a problem, we would have him signed up on a finance agreement tomorrow, if we could.

Sod the pandemic epidemic!

The insurance company say,“ring the hire company,” the hire car company say “ring the insurance company,” The car dealers say, "sorry we are closed because of the Covid-19 outbreak, please contact us in 3 months. :smiley:

I would be inclined to try and negotiate a preferential extended use of the hire car, unless its a purely courtesy car they might be glad to have some rental income coming in and inclined to offer a good rate.

For buying again, there will be many people in poor financial straits as the weeks go by, so bargains will be more likely in my humble a few weeks down the line because they will be gald to see solvent customers.
Or buy privately, again some bargains might be there to be had.

Some might say this is a mercenary outlook, but someone without any income coming in will be grateful for the cash and far better for your lad to be benefitting rather than some shark car dealer looking to make fast bucks at the expense of people in desperate situations.

I use webuyanycar to keep an eye on the value of my car.
Lets me see what it would fetch in a hurry. If i needed to sell quickly.
Before the lockdown they valued it at £3700.
Now they reckon £2500!
3 weeks later…

That would suggest it’s a buyers market. If they smell blood, so should you.

This lot seem to have appeared out of nowhere

cazoo.co.uk/

Saw a van dropping one off, now I think they are in poster frames by the ■■■■■■■ in the services.

The extra costs of moving stock around to the customer must be paid for somewhere along the line though.

Would a brand dealership allow 24hr test drive on used cars like some do on new?

trevorking1964:
I use webuyanycar to keep an eye on the value of my car.
Lets me see what it would fetch in a hurry. If i needed to sell quickly.
Before the lockdown they valued it at £3700.
Now they reckon £2500!
3 weeks later…

That would suggest it’s a buyers market. If they smell blood, so should you.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
to be perfectly honest mate then unfortunately your dreaming.
the price you see will be almost double as to what you would actually get offered once you bring the car to those leeches and are standing in front of them.
similar to clickbait on youtube,its just the hook to draw you in.
the easiest foolproof way for the private man is to phone your local car auction stating you have an identical car for sale.
ask them what you would realistically return,then take off a few hundred quid for the accurate realtime price.
that is your true real value.

To be fair i have used them before.
Sold my slk to them 2 years ago.
Got the price quoted. Lots of people said i wouldn’t.
I had described it properly though and the car was like new anyway.
That was a £5000 offer.
Had just split with the wife and needed funds.
To be fair, it was £7k retail car on a car lot.
The point is, i got the price offered.

no worries then,lucky you.
ive been around the trade for 30 plus years and ever since these parasites got invented then ive known several who have had dealings with them and also 2 people who worked for them and similar operating companies.
they are just leeches milking those in need.

Get no argument from me there.
£2500 currently for mine is the proof if it were needed.
They can certainly smell blood right now.

Juddian:
I would be inclined to try and negotiate a preferential extended use of the hire car, unless its a purely courtesy car they might be glad to have some rental income coming in and inclined to offer a good rate.

For buying again, there will be many people in poor financial straits as the weeks go by, so bargains will be more likely in my humble a few weeks down the line because they will be gald to see solvent customers.
Or buy privately, again some bargains might be there to be had.

Some might say this is a mercenary outlook, but someone without any income coming in will be grateful for the cash and far better for your lad to be benefitting rather than some shark car dealer looking to make fast bucks at the expense of people in desperate situations.

I can do mercenary. I was bidding on a sheriffs auction site for a repossessed d car,but lost it at the last 2 minutes over a tenner.

Webuyanycar valued my Rover 75 at £300 and that was about a year before the Coronavirus. :stuck_out_tongue:

dieseldog999:
no worries then,lucky you.
ive been around the trade for 30 plus years and ever since these parasites got invented then ive known several who have had dealings with them and also 2 people who worked for them and similar operating companies.
they are just leeches milking those in need.

I even saw a truck on the M42 this morning with “webuyanyphotocopier” down the side, unless I’d hallucinated.