Demise of Flybe

I don’t know what some will say about Flybe going out of business but personally I think it is a crying shame because although I am opposed to nationalisation for the sake of it, and always have been, ( BRS for instance) the bulk of Flybe’s routes were a public service and never were fully viable as they served sparsely populated far flung areas in the UK which I believe fall into the category of “Connectivity” which seems to be the latest “buzz” word. So this is Boris’s first ■■■■ up letting Flybe go down the tubes. What he should have done was to have ■■■■■■ off those greedy ■■■■■■■■ Virgin and Stobart and, there is still time, nationalise the airline and also cut the £26 Airport tax to zero which is a diabolical tax which doesn’t help one bit. But if my suggestion of nationalisation is a “non starter” lets just see if that greedy ■■■■■■■ O’Leary or Easy Jet step in and keep the ex Flybe routes operational ! Some ■■■■■■■ hope !!! So Boris never mind all the BS you spouted at GE time get it sorted ! I hope this post will not be consigned to Bully’s either by mistake or intentionally ! Cheers Bewick.

Bewick:
I don’t know what some will say about Flybe going out of business but personally I think it is a crying shame because although I am opposed to nationalisation for the sake of it, and always have been, ( BRS for instance) the bulk of Flybe’s routes were a public service and never were fully viable as they served sparsely populated far flung areas in the UK which I believe fall into the category of “Connectivity” which seems to be the latest “buzz” word. So this is Boris’s first [zb] up letting Flybe go down the tubes. What he should have done was to have [zb] off those greedy [zb] Virgin and Stobart and, there is still time, nationalise the airline and also cut the £26 Airport tax to zero which is a diabolical tax which doesn’t help one bit. But if my suggestion of nationalisation is a “non starter” lets just see if that greedy [zb] O’Leary or Easy Jet step in and keep the ex Flybe routes operational ! Some [zb] hope !!! So Boris never mind all the BS you spouted at GE time get it sorted ! I hope this post will not be consigned to Bully’s either by mistake or intentionally ! Cheers Bewick.

Stobart are in trouble anyway aren’t they ?

Well until this morning Dennis I had never heard of Flybe but (apparently) they have been bailed out in the past and still failed so in my way of thinking, and not having a business head on my shoulders, they will not improve in the future? Same as any other business to my way of thinking, it either makes money and survives or closes down. Maybe that’s wrong, but what do I know! :unamused:

Pete.

Bewick:
I don’t know what some will say about Flybe going out of business but personally I think it is a crying shame because although I am opposed to nationalisation for the sake of it, and always have been, ( BRS for instance) the bulk of Flybe’s routes were a public service and never were fully viable as they served sparsely populated far flung areas in the UK which I believe fall into the category of “Connectivity” which seems to be the latest “buzz” word. So this is Boris’s first [zb] up letting Flybe go down the tubes. What he should have done was to have [zb] off those greedy [zb] Virgin and Stobart and, there is still time, nationalise the airline and also cut the £26 Airport tax to zero which is a diabolical tax which doesn’t help one bit. But if my suggestion of nationalisation is a “non starter” lets just see if that greedy [zb] O’Leary or Easy Jet step in and keep the ex Flybe routes operational ! Some [zb] hope !!! So Boris never mind all the BS you spouted at GE time get it sorted ! I hope this post will not be consigned to Bully’s either by mistake or intentionally ! Cheers Bewick.

Agree with you Den, a good company, doing a great service, Liz has been using then for years back and forth from France / Southampton, convenient and cheap, it’ll be the ferries from now on.
When her dad died, she had to keep cancelling and rebooking flights, about 4 times, when we rung to ask if it was possible to get some money back in the circumstances, not only did they refund all payments, they gave her the cost of the cancellations free, a new ticket back from the UK, and sent her flowers with a condolence card…as I said, great company, with excellent staff, who we both feel sorry for. Another good company gone, along with so many others.

Flybe can be likened to Caledonian McBrayne who run ferries to and from the Western Isles and they could never operate at a profit so require subsidising and IIRC the Company is actually owned by the Scottish Government so why can’t kind a ownership be applied to Flybe ? and to make matters worse both Exeter and Southampton airports are also in imminent danger not to mention Belfast City airport and the IOM which will be at risk if the problem is not sorted PDQ. Cheers Bewick.

i could have flown with flybe up to 10 times a year.
i went to book one earlier today from belfast to east mids and see that its just a dead page.
ceased trading,end of.
needless to say easyjet have adder £100—£150 instantly onto every single decent flight to all uk airports with most of them to everywhere sold out up to a week in advance…thank you for your greedy pirating sleazyjet.
no doubt the ferries,coaches and trains will hike the price to follow now. :cry:

Bewick:
Flybe can be likened to Caledonian McBrayne who run ferries to and from the Western Isles and they could never operate at a profit so require subsidising and IIRC the Company is actually owned by the Scottish Government so why can’t kind a ownership be applied to Flybe ? and to make matters worse both Exeter and Southampton airports are also in imminent danger not to mention Belfast City airport and the IOM which will be at risk if the problem is not sorted PDQ. Cheers Bewick.

It would be better to allow coaches to use the same untaxed fuel as aircraft.Suddenly loads of more fuel efficient ‘connectivety’ and more jobs. :bulb: :wink:

Well sad they are gone especially as my son had paid for a flight to Manchester to run in there marathon in support of Great Ormand street hospital and will almost certainly lose the cost of the fair but then again in the past ten years they have lost money in eight of those allegedly so they have had notice that summit was not quite right and no one came up with a remedy, smacks of the government getting involved when all the banks went belly up and that was 2008 and the tax payer still has not got its money back so for that reason I don’t agree with bailing out by the government.
Someone will almost certainly get involved with a new service and I suspect that when the affairs are dug into we will find a CEO and high ranking directors on stupid high salaries and not performing there job detail plus the loss of revenue taken by the appointed liquidators which will make your eyes water.
As for Stobart I think they got too many fingers in too many pies, my motto stick to what your good at and make a good job of that, nothing like a busy fool to come to a rapid end, Buzzer.

Believe the demise started some years back. Ambitious CEO and directors at the time thought they could become a major player, went public to raise cash and bought jets they could never fill and cost much more to operate. Left them with a fleet of new jets on order that they had try and offload as they couldn’t use them and took a hit. Then they repeatedly re- branded which meant costly redesigns and repainting of aircraft etc. Don’t think the 3 “saviours”, Virgin,Stobart and the hedge fund really knew what they wanted to do and had conflicting ideas of the future strategy. Probably also thought there was a quick quid to make in disposing of some assets and rationalisation. In the end the top dogs over the years have got to walk away with the bonus etc intact and go on to wreck their next victim and the workers are left to worry about meeting the bills. Lesson should have been learn from what was successful and stick to it with occasional refinements. Bewick you no doubt remember how someone came in, promised the world, and then after you left went on to wreck your and other successful companies because they thought they knew best and had thoughts of big £ signs and payouts.

to me they were in trouble when they started broadcasting the safety announcements at the start and end of every flight by using some mealy mouthed southern english voiced ■■■■■ with a speech impediment of a lithsp.
if they couldnt get that right then it dont say a lot for the company as a whole.
you might think that to be the voice of flybe that represents the company you could use someone that speaks normally.
obviously wont be able to hear her again,but christ she was irritating.

Well at least the Post has stimulated some debate and my ‘two Penarth’ was aimed at why can’t the Flybe operation be run as a social necessity and subsidised because by the sound of it Flybe could never be operated as a stand alone profitable Airline because of the sparsely populated areas it served. So surely if Boris’s claim that he will “level” up the whole of the UK Flybe should have been an integral part of the “plan” ! just look what has happened to Northern Rail---- they have been nationalised in an attempt to sort out the problem. If ultimately it is just going to be a case of “if any service cannot run profitably” tough !! If this being the case I can see the UK becoming more urban centred and the regions will continue to suffer and consequently wither ! Interesting times ahead for Boris I believe ! Cheers Bewick.

Bewick:

Well there we go Lads ! consigned to the TNUK dustbin !! and here was I thinking it was a transport connected thread ! seemingly not ! Bewick.

Bewick:
Well at least the Post has stimulated some debate and my ‘two Penarth’ was aimed at why can’t the Flybe operation be run as a social necessity and subsidised because by the sound of it Flybe could never be operated as a stand alone profitable Airline because of the sparsely populated areas it served. So surely if Boris’s claim that he will “level” up the whole of the UK Flybe should have been an integral part of the “plan” ! just look what has happened to Northern Rail---- they have been nationalised in an attempt to sort out the problem. If ultimately it is just going to be a case of “if any service cannot run profitably” tough !! If this being the case I can see the UK becoming more urban centred and the regions will continue to suffer and consequently wither ! Interesting times ahead for Boris I believe ! Cheers Bewick.

‘Level up the UK’.Yeah right like turning yet more of Surrey into yet more of London.While the North remains a barren waste land.The Northern Nimby’s would want it even if Bozo was the real deal.

I’ve been looking at moving away and found a place in a nice part of Herefordshire away from the flood planes.Luckily on a bus route that actually runs regularly.But 1 1/2 miles from a stop in either direction. :unamused: So no car for whatever reason means being stuck unless a long walk on a main route with no pavement.

Bewick:

Bewick:

Well there we go Lads ! consigned to the TNUK dustbin !! and here was I thinking it was a transport connected thread ! seemingly not ! Bewick.

To be fair planes ain’t trucks or even buses.Not many airports in ■■■■■■■■■■ Bozo wants to spend cash then more bus routes and convenient stops are what’s needed. :unamused: :wink:

Bewick:

If ultimately it is just going to be a case of “if any service cannot run profitably” tough

Isn´t this what drove the Beeching report in 1961 and subsequent decimation of the railway network? Obviously British Railways was nationalised and Flybe not but you can see the consequences that can result from removing “local” services. But do you nationalise everything that serves a purpose to a comparative few?

Bewick:

Bewick:

They don’t like us and our stimulating conversation Dennis that’s two threads just demoted and who the hell is doing this, its a vendetta me thinks and is unfair as if no one posts on a thread it finds its way into the realms of the deep the natural way but there is light at the end of the tunnel for you me to start up a new transport venture with me in the South and you in the North with plenty of old airports to operate from :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: make it big and buy out TNUK then we can call all the shots, Buzzer

Flying is an expensive and destructive means of transport, made only partly viable by the lack of taxation on aviation fuel. There are plenty of successful companies, flying from small(er) airports. If a few people cant use what amounts to a private jet to get about a bit quicker, at great expense to the environment, that’s no great loss. The idea that their convenience must be played for by taxpayers money, is ludicrous.

Well Buzzer thee and me are now living in a Society that is becoming increasingly alien to our values and the way we were brought up! Take for instances the ■■■■ storm that is being brought down on Priti Patels head at the moment, it stems from the jumped up Civil Servants that have ,over the years, grown too big for their shoes and it is they that truly believe they run our Country. Just look at the close shave we have had to finally get to leave the EU ! Almost to a man the whole Civil Service ran an undercover guerrilla operation to thwart our leaving. So now after we have got a large Conservative majority which no doubt ■■■■■■ off the Civil Service they are now trying to bring down a legitimate representative of the People ! Those Areosols should pay attention to their title which has the word SERVANT in it ! I say good on you Priti stand your ground and don’t take any ■■■■ of those ■■■■■ I am confident that from Boris down to the likes of us you have our 100% support and it will be tragic if the “Sir Humphreys” win !
I doubt there is much we can do on TNUK to make a point occasionally because the Mods are so PC you and I only have to blink and we’'ll get censured or blown out ! But we can only continue to try eh! Cheers Dennis.

Interesting.
Tax payers money subsidising a rail or bus system is one thing. Using it to subsidise an air link when there are alternatives is quite different IMHO.
And subsidising a loss making private operation that is paying out dividends to shareholders! We hear how privatisation is meant to be the saviour of us all, no evidence of that here.
Linking Exeter or Edinburgh by air isn’t the same as linking an island. If the well off with holiday homes want to spend less time on the road, and more in their 2nd homes, should tax payers aid them?
As Windrush and Daleman noted, this firm has been in trouble through poor management for ages. Apparently on 80% of their routes they were the only carrier…
A monopoly, and it wasn’t paying!

Both Virgin and Stobart refused to put any more money into Flybe,they knew it was a lost cause,I think the government has done the right thing by not baling out an already ailing,loss making company.

David