Older gruntled members political thread to deviate from othe

As above. Batter in chaps.

Theres a whole sub-forum for general pitter patter though?

I mean just talk on that then dont turn simple questions into political issues as most do. Bla bla bla. Im old and im dying. I remember the war etc.

So dis-gruntled old buggers should just keep their big gob shut ? :confused: :confused: :confused:

I blame the…

Remainers, the Tellytubbies, Jeremy Kyle, US president Jimmy Carter, anyone from Yorkshire, the BBC, anyone who calls it a scone and not a scone, Scunthorpe United and all those who eat Greggs from the wrapper whilst walking down the high street.

yourhavingalarf:
I blame the…

Remainers, the Tellytubbies, Jeremy Kyle, US president Jimmy Carter, anyone from Yorkshire, the BBC, anyone who calls it a scone and not a scone, Scunthorpe United and all those who eat Greggs from the wrapper whilst walking down the high street.

Are you having a laugh?

You guys don’t know you’re born. Auto gearboxes, power everything, cruise control, air-con, comfy beds - you even have heaters.

Santa:
You guys don’t know you’re born. Auto gearboxes, power everything, cruise control, air-con, comfy beds - you even have heaters.

And two windscreen wipers. Two I tell you…

I hate it when my gruntle is dissed.

the maoster:

But that’ cant be as bad as having your member deviated.

remy:
So dis-gruntled old buggers should just keep their big gob shut ? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Absolutely not.

Keeping schtum means Werthers originals will not be consumed. And I love scavving them off our old boys at work :wink:

AndieHyde:

the maoster:

KW.png

AndieHyde:

the maoster:

I am a Dutch translator and I came across the prhase: my gruntle is dissed
Could you please explain what this means?

It’s a play on words. A person can be disgruntled. What the play on words suggests is that in order to be disgruntled a person must first have a gruntle in order to be dissed. It’s a folly, or a simple play on words. This happens obviously in other languages too, in German you can have “warum nichts ?” Which would be answered by “darum nichts ”. A simple play on words.

Hope that helps.

the maoster:
It’s a play on words. A person can be disgruntled. What the play on words suggests is that in order to be disgruntled a person must first have a gruntle in order to be dissed. It’s a folly, or a simple play on words. This happens obviously in other languages too, in German you can have “warum nichts ?” Which would be answered by “darum nichts ”. A simple play on words.

Hope that helps.

Funnily enough a good few of the current English words using the dis prefix were actually words without the dis prefix in times past. So Gruntled may actually been in use a while ago (think possibly centuries) but have fallen out of use. Whereas the Dis prefixed variation has survived.

disgruntled
/dɪsˈɡrʌnt(ə)ld/
Learn to pronounce
Origin

mid 17th century: from dis- (as an intensifier) + dialect gruntle ‘utter little grunts’, from grunt.

!
Yep.
“dis” as an intensifier, not an opposite.
Used as an intensifier of words with negative valence.
disembowel, disannul, disgruntled

I never knew that…but that applies to most things.

Franglais:
disgruntled
/dɪsˈɡrʌnt(ə)ld/
Learn to pronounce
Origin

mid 17th century: from dis- (as an intensifier) + dialect gruntle ‘utter little grunts’, from grunt.

!
Yep.

I read a lot. Perhaps too much! That’s what you get for messing up the excellent education opportunity I was given but managed to screw up. You spend the rest of your life trying to catch up!

Dipster:

Franglais:
disgruntled
/dɪsˈɡrʌnt(ə)ld/
Learn to pronounce
Origin

!
Yep.

I read a lot. Perhaps too much! That’s what you get for messing up the excellent education opportunity I was given but managed to screw up. You spend the rest of your life trying to catch up!

But never stop trying to learn more!
Keep at it. :smiley: