Poor Harry and other boat owners

If the link works any of you with a narrowboat is going to have to run on white diesel not red as the eu has just shafted you.

LINK TO GOV.UK

And still, some want to stay.

peterm:
And still, some want to stay.

And will call those of us who want to leave stupid

Its been illegal to run a pleasure boat on red for some years now but never enforced …

raymundo:
Its been illegal to run a pleasure boat on red for some years now but never enforced …

Not true Pal,you could pay the duty on the red at the boatyard , HMRC approved it and still do for a short while . But it’s looking like boat owners are just about to be shafted.
I wrote and complained about the system being planned.

3 wheeler:

raymundo:

Not true Pal,you could pay the duty on the red at the boatyard , HMRC approved it and still do for a short while . But it’s looking like boat owners are just about to be shafted.
I wrote and complained about the system being planned.

I meant non duty paid diesel, maybe I never expressed it well enough …

Great idea wreck the boat diesel engine market for EU engine manufacturers like Volvo and MTU.Also resulting in a net loss of tax revenues for the government.It’s obvious that electric is the way to go for slow and small type river type use.Bearing in mind that the extra weight of the batteries is nothing like as much of a problem for a boat.

youtube.com/watch?v=UuZS6fpXii0

As for the legality of applying what is clearly meant to be road fuel taxation to boat fuel yet another reason why we should tell the ECJ to do one.

Having said that I thought this rule had already been implemented long ago. :confused:

Meanwhile the other obvious solution but running on LPG assuming something like a Sunseeker presently running with big diesels. :smiling_imp: :smiley:

youtube.com/watch?v=4sx_AxoK7Cc

youtube.com/watch?v=7LQI5q-Hd6o

£5 per gallon they’re avin a larf. :open_mouth: :laughing:

Probably my fault for being on the cusp of buying one!

3 wheeler:

raymundo:

Not true Pal,you could pay the duty on the red at the boatyard

Doesn’t really fix the issue of what is clearly an illegal case of a road fuel specific tax being applied to a non road going ‘vehicle’.What can you expect from an illegal court acting on behalf of an illegal undeclared de Jure Federal state.

Still the remainers call leave voters stupid.

Not remotely an engineer type carryfast, but I’m not sure that even covered in solar panels there would be enough sun to generate enough electricity in winter.

My boat is all diesel, no coal, no gas :unamused:

I dont care what the others say about you raymundo, you sir are a man of distinction.

Troon might prove difficult in NB Elsie Alice though :laughing:

albion:
I dont care what the others say about you raymundo, you sir are a man of distinction.

Troon might prove difficult in NB Elsie Alice though :laughing:

I deleted my post as it would be a bit difficult as no canals there … :slight_smile:

albion:
Not remotely an engineer type carryfast, but I’m not sure that even covered in solar panels there would be enough sun to generate enough electricity in winter.

My boat is all diesel, no coal, no gas :unamused:

In your case do you have just one fuel tank? Looks like fuel for the engine will be higher taxes, but heating fuel won’t? Separate tanks for separate uses and some savings made.
Edit. Been an issue since 2008 at least.
Red Diesel. waterways.org.uk

The way it works is this.

All canalside diesel is red, and it all goes into one tank. At purchase you make a written declaration of what proportion you intend to use for propulsion, and what proportion for domestic (heating water, charging batteries). HMRC expect boaters to declare 60/40, most boaters declare 0/100. Full duty is then charged on the propulsion element.

If this system stops and all diesel is charged at the full rate, I imagine canalside road garages will see a significant increase in red diesel sold into 20l drums.

I doubt anything will change unless you are a heavy user, ie big twin marinised truck engined boat.

As said above the 60/40 split has been around for years, so get your red in cans and keep your car fuel receipts voila 60/40 and the receipts to prove it!

Iirc most EU contries have run their pleasure boats on white for many years and any UK boat visiting their shores with red in the tanks can have hassle.

Plus many boats fuel tanks are huge a thousand or two thousand litres isnt unusual and lots of the bigger craft get very little use (floating caravans mainly) so the fuel in their tansk will be years old and of course will take years to use it all up so they will show evidence of red for many years to come.

As Harry has said, there was room for tax evasion there.

That’s money that could go to our NHS (remember the bus?)

And as we’re leaving the EU in October we can choose to not apply this? Sovereignity and that?

Harry Monk:
The way it works is this.

All canalside diesel is red, and it all goes into one tank. At purchase you make a written declaration of what proportion you intend to use for propulsion, and what proportion for domestic (heating water, charging batteries). HMRC expect boaters to declare 60/40, most boaters declare 0/100. Full duty is then charged on the propulsion element.

If this system stops and all diesel is charged at the full rate, I imagine canalside road garages will see a significant increase in red diesel sold into 20l drums.

OK. So HMRC were expecting all boaters to play ball and not take the Mickey.
If as you say most were evading tax on the fuel used for propulsion, I don’t really wonder about the loophole being closed.
I can see conversion from one tank to two is expensive to do properly, but surely there is no reason it couldn’t be done on new builds or renovations.
Red from cans? If a lot start that won’t there be a few bankside “dippings”? Customs won’t need to invest millions in a high speed cutter to chase you down. [emoji5]
On road vehicles running red illegally they can be confiscated. Does same apply with other modes of transport? Kind of concentrates the mind, gambling tax evaded against your boat?
HMRC Excise Licence 75.
And what of anyone supplying fuel for illegal use? Surely they will have some responsibility?
I’m sure you are 100% honest Harry, but it seems some have been evading taxes for years, and it’s about to end.
Better to take pleasure from the money already saved, rather than moan about having to pay dues in the future, surely?

Typo. Excise Notice 75

3 wheeler:
If the link works any of you with a narrowboat is going to have to run on white diesel not red as the eu has just shafted you.

LINK TO GOV.UK

Maybe a little google search on how the EU has funded canal restoration in the UK may have been prudent before you said the EU had shafted boat owners… :unamused:

■■■■ foreigners sending money over here so we can repair the canals, so we can use narrow boats etc etc

Darkside:

3 wheeler:

LINK TO GOV.UK

Maybe a little google search on how the EU has funded canal restoration in the UK may have been prudent before you said the EU had shafted boat owners… :unamused:

■■■■ foreigners sending money over here so we can repair the canals, so we can use narrow boats etc etc

Not to mention those who in the past have complained about other EU countries, ignoring EU rules that we obey, and they don’t. Now, we seem to be ignoring rules that they do obey.