Keep Britain trading

Bare with me…

As we are preparing for a no deal Brexit, and the possible chaos around Dover, we have been assured that Britain has many other ports, eager and ready to deal with the shipping from other countries from around the world. This is true.
I am currently sat in one of these many ports. It is heartening to see the enthusiasm with which the docks are re-instating the “good old days” of empire, now that we are on the cusp of “taking back control”…
Work doesn’t start until 0800… work finishes at 1600. And I assume that there will be some breaks fitted in somewhere as well…

I’m looking forward to the first proper wildcat strike…

Nostalgia. Makes you all warm and fuzzy, don’t it?

the nodding donkey:
Bare with me…

As we are preparing for a no deal Brexit, and the possible chaos around Dover, we have been assured that Britain has many other ports, eager and ready to deal with the shipping from other countries from around the world. This is true.
I am currently sat in one of these many ports. It is heartening to see the enthusiasm with which the docks are re-instating the “good old days” of empire, now that we are on the cusp of “taking back control”…
Work doesn’t start until 0800… work finishes at 1600. And I assume that there will be some breaks fitted in somewhere as well…

I thought the EU was all about better conditions for the workers and improving the work life balance along the lines of the French model and ideal.

But obviously you’re all about a Tory remain of the type Thatcher supported.As opposed to a Labour Brexit like Benn and Shore and Hoey were all for.

Carryfast:

the nodding donkey:
Bare with me…

I thought the EU was all about better conditions for the workers and improving the work life balance along the lines of the French model and ideal.

But obviously you’re all about a Tory remain of the type Thatcher supported.As opposed to a Labour Brexit like Benn and Shore and Hoey were all for.

You ascertained all that from what he wrote? Genius.

the maoster:

Carryfast:

the nodding donkey:
Bare with me…

God Maoster , you just declared ’ Carryfast ’ to be the world’s second stable genius after Trump -

the nodding donkey:
Bare with me…

I honestly think the world does understand how lucky they are to have us!

There won’t be chaos at Dover, my mate in the pub said it is all fake news.

If (when) it does all go belly up when (if) we leave, you do understand it will be the fault of whinging remoaners like you (and me) for not believing in the project, not a lack of planning, nouse, finance or work ethic?

Darkside:

the nodding donkey:
Bare with me…

I honestly think the world does understand how lucky they are to have us!

If (when) it does all go belly up when (if) we leave, you do understand it will be the fault of whinging remoaners like you (and me) for not believing in the project, not a lack of planning, nouse, finance or work ethic?

At least you mate in the pub knows what he is talking about.next time you see him buy him a pint on me

the maoster:

Carryfast:

the nodding donkey:
Bare with me…

It seems obvious and doesn’t take a genius to realise that he was moaning about workers doing an 8 hour shift and not a 15 hour one.You know like the EU says is good for truck drivers to work.While it’s equally obvious that he wasn’t moaning about the employers not employing 2 or 3 shifts of 8 hours each.He was more interested in making sure that we stayed with Thatcher’s work ethic than a return to 1972.

If it quacks like a Tory Thatcherite Tory Remain duck and looks like a Tory Thatcherite Remain duck it’s a duck.While the Remainers laughably try to tell us that it’s only Brexit which can be a Tory Brexit.Remain is supposedly all about what’s good for the workers.Yeah right.

Carryfast:
It seems obvious and doesn’t take a genius to realise that he was moaning about workers doing an 8 hour shift and not a 15 hour one.You know like the EU says is good for truck drivers to work…

It was the EU that limited truck drivers to 15hrs, not demanded that they do 15hrs.

But don’t let a few facts get in the way of your argument.

Reef:

Carryfast:
It seems obvious and doesn’t take a genius to realise that he was moaning about workers doing an 8 hour shift and not a 15 hour one.You know like the EU says is good for truck drivers to work…

It was the EU that limited truck drivers to 15hrs, not demanded that they do 15hrs.

And the EU wanted drivers to work 48 hours per week. But we know how that ended up and because of who

Reef:

Carryfast:

In the knowledge that ‘employers’ would take it as a green light to ‘demand’ 15 hours.As opposed to a definite red light which a 12 hour minimum daily rest would have provided.

On that note exactly what is it that the OP is moaning about,if not workers doing an 8 hour shift and being prepared to strike over the issue.As opposed to if the employer wants more hours then employ more people doing another shift.

Carryfast:

Reef:

Carryfast:

In the knowledge that ‘employers’ would take it as a green light to ‘demand’ 15 hours.As opposed to a definite red light which a 12 hour minimum daily rest would have provided.

On that note exactly what is it that the OP is moaning about,if not workers doing an 8 hour shift and being prepared to strike over the issue.As opposed to if the employer wants more hours then employ more people doing another shift.

Carryfast, your problem is that you, like a proper Communist, can only discuss in either dogma, or heated attacking contra argument.

I (that is, the OP), moaned about the mismatch between us drivers, working 12+hours a day, (some starting stupid o’clock in the morning, some working still when the population has gone to sleep), and those that we rely on to be able to do our job working hours that make it difficult for us to do our job efficiently.

I agree, and most places have such a shift pattern, that there should be multiple 8 hour shifts, to facilitate transport to either maximise by double shifting trucks, or let tamper drivers start and finish early, or later.

I have another little nugget to feed you, but I’ll leave that till later in the discussion. :grimacing:

the nodding donkey:
Carryfast, your problem is that you, like a proper Communist, can only discuss in either dogma, or heated attacking contra argument.

I (that is, the OP), moaned about the mismatch between us drivers, working 12+hours a day, (some starting stupid o’clock in the morning, some working still when the population has gone to sleep), and those that we rely on to be able to do our job working hours that make it difficult for us to do our job efficiently.

I agree, and most places have such a shift pattern, that there should be multiple 8 hour shifts, to facilitate transport to either maximise by double shifting trucks, or let tamper drivers start and finish early, or later.

I have another little nugget to feed you, but I’ll leave that till later in the discussion. :grimacing:

Yeah right.First you were moaning about dock workers doing an 8 hour shift.Now you’re saying that you weren’t moaning about that you were actually moaning because truck drivers don’t generally get the luxury of same.In which case what was your other moan about ‘wildcat strikes’ all about ?.As I said seemed like a Thatcherite rant to me and didn’t see any moan by you about the employers not employing more workers to provide more 8 hour shifts on the job.Remind us which side she was on at the last referendum on the subject.

While FYI it is possible to be militant working class Nationalist not Communist.But keep going you’re doing a great job of showing the hypocrisy of Remainers saying that we can only have a Tory Brexit as opposed to the Tory Remain which Thatcher campaigned for and got.

chrisdalott:
And the EU wanted drivers to work 48 hours per week. But we know how that ended up and because of who

48 hours max per week doesn’t exactly seem consistent with the minimum daily rest regime.