Private car ownership post 2021!

Carryfast:
Strange how a country that is supposedly leaving the EU seems to be subject to its rules.

While the whole premise is based on the choice between fossil fuel or electric when hydrogen fuelled ICE can work fine with no changes needed from cars as we know them.Or for that matter for this to work all classic/older vehicles will obviously also need to be banned.So let’s get this right the EU elites will no longer get access to the S class Merc only EV micro cars and they also intend to trash the Classic and used Car markets not to mention the new large car market ,at the cost of billions.While making the supply of fossil fuels for the civil aviation industry economically unsustainable because it will no longer be sharing the cost of each barrel of unrefined crude oil,for its kerosene usage,with private car users.That’ll work.

Leaving the question of the equivalent costs of electricity v fossil fuel + road fuel taxation on a cost per mile basis.

It’s as much to do with the Paris climate accord the UK is signed up to as well as the EU, these measures are apart of that agreement to get vehicle emissions down.
The affluent will still be driving around in prestige BEV’s as these measures wont effect them, the likes of Tesla,Mercedes,Audi,Jaguar etc are only producing top end expensive EV’s at the moment in the £50K-£100K price range. :open_mouth:

They say they cant make money on mass market cars as there’s no profit margin in them, all major car manufacturers are partnered with Chinese car manufacturers making cars in China and have factories there, It must be the only place left where they can make a profit…for the time being.
BMW are to build car factories in Thailand land now, must be the new China as the labour costs are less.

The old/classic car thing is a nightmare, It will be a huge blow to that industry. I’ve owned old classic cars all my life until I retired and couldn’t do the maintenance and running costs. I read a UK transport cross party piece a while ago that said they would have to close a loophole to stop people using classic cars with worse emissions then the cars now. :cry:
Diesel only trains in the UK face the same thing in the same time period as cars also.

I dare say they will make running pre Euro cat 5 vehicles more expensive in fuel prices to dissuade people from using them.
It doesn’t bode well for motorist or car workers across UK/Europe as there will be a skilled workforce in an industry that will be consigned to history in a decade.
I think I’ll get me a yellow vest from ebay before they’re all gone.