Dual mass flywheels

The clutch release bearing on my Citroen C4 Grand Picasso 1.6hdi collapsed yesterday and when I phoned the local motor factors,it turned out that it has a def. They quoted £125 for the clutch kit and £240 for the dmf.
After looking online I have found dual mass replacement kits which allow you to change a dmf to a solid one. I was just wondering if anyone has used one of these kits and whether it caused any problems.

On any Citroen specific forums are the DMFs noted as being weak or failing early? If so it may be advisable to replace with a solid one, But if not, I wouldn’t.
The change from DMF to solid may not make vibration etc in the transmission that is noticeable to the driver, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t there. The smoothing effect of a DMF makes for a longer life for other components. Difficult to quantify but probably worth the extra. Citroen surely wouldn’t fit a more expensive DMF rather than a cheaper solid one if it wasn’t beneficial?
The extra cost will only be once or twice in the life of the car, so isn’t much in the grand scheme of things.
The 2.0 litre diesel is apparently quite reliable, if the 1.6 is the same, then no need to change it, IMHO.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Franglais:
On any Citroen specific forums are the DMFs noted as being weak or failing early? If so it may be advisable to replace with a solid one, But if not, I wouldn’t.
The change from DMF to solid may not make vibration etc in the transmission that is noticeable to the driver, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t there. The smoothing effect of a DMF makes for a longer life for other components. Difficult to quantify but probably worth the extra. Citroen surely wouldn’t fit a more expensive DMF rather than a cheaper solid one if it wasn’t beneficial?
The extra cost will only be once or twice in the life of the car, so isn’t much in the grand scheme of things.
The 2.0 litre diesel is apparently quite reliable, if the 1.6 is the same, then no need to change it, IMHO.

I’ve not found anything specific about dmf’s so I think I will just go with fitting a new one. As you say,damage maybe being done even though everything seems ok. May as well fit a new one now rather than having to take the box out again in the future.

Fleetwood mick:

Franglais:

I’ve not found anything specific about dmf’s so I think I will just go with fitting a new one. As you say,damage maybe being done even though everything seems ok. May as well fit a new one now rather than having to take the box out again in the future.

Given the time and trouble to drop the box out…yep.
A solid one may cause no problems at all, but if anything did happen you’d be cursing yourself.

I have a Ford Mondeo with the same set up - a 2ltr diesel with 69k miles. The solid flywheel is designed for heavier loads eg. the Transit with cargo on board. The DMF is a softer option designed for cars. Fitting the solid flywheel is an option, but DODGY! Your suspension is only built for car type loads and the ride and especially pulling away would be affected so go for the original set up and check your starter motor too cos it is often stuffed by the wobbly ring gear. Jim.

My 3.5t Movano had a DMF …

Our local garage always fit solid flywheel conversions, none of the customers has ever commented on the clutch feeling any different. I run a Peugeot Partner car and a Citroen Dispatch van, both fitted with the same 2.0 hdi engine. The van has a dmf as standard but the car doesn’t, although for some reason the 1.6 engined version does? :confused:

Pete.