Robbing Council

Not really a truck related question,
but I know I will get a lot more sense out of you lot than I ever will on Facebook
our local council is Eden district council in ■■■■■■■■
they only collect their own branded blue bin bags from the kerbside once a week.
we can put out as many as we like
but they will only replace two… and just roll them up and chuck them on your drive or path…
so if you need more , or your replacements go missing on a windy day you can go to the council and get replacements for the princely sum of £1.40 each.
this seems to be an unfair tax . i have had a quick look at other council websites to see if they charge, but can’t find very much info…
Now I am asking you wonderful people to let me know which council area you live in , and any charge you might have for bags…
I would like to be able to name and shame our lot…

I worked on and off the bins for a few years and you get the bill for anything over what the council have allocated you. In the area I’m in now you can buy another bin and that’s a one off payment but when it was bags you were always billed as you’re not really paying for the bag but the extra collection.

You must consider yourself lucky that they don’t limit how may bags they will collect…
Better than our lot anyway.

Try these at 11p each…
ebay.co.uk/itm/100-Flat-Top … ac48be8e64

In East Yorkshire and South Derbyshire they don’t use bags and won’t take them away, we have a fleet of wheelie bins in various livery designed to confuse.

Like the old fashioned cars, the bin lorry has a man walking in front with a red flag inspecting the contents of the bin.

If it’s tin it doesn’t go in
With the leaves and grass
Paper & plastic for one bin
Or it costs us lots of brass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darkside:
You must consider yourself lucky that they don’t limit how may bags they will collect…
Better than our lot anyway.

Try these at 11p each…
ebay.co.uk/itm/100-Flat-Top … ac48be8e64

no good … they are printed bags with council name all over them… they wont take anything else

in Manchester if you cant close bin lid properly and theres a jobsworth on that day. they put a sticker on it and refuse to empty it…

also not long ago we had our grey bins for general rubbish replaced by a smaller slimline model.
can get 3 bin bags in it if your lucky.

must of cost the council £thousands to replace the bins. not sure why they replaced them .
and slolwy now your seeing rubbish flytipped . and man in van taking it away for a fee . and disposing of it for you.

so council give us smaller bins to save money etc. yet in next min the cost there paying to clear up the rubbish thst been dumped has risen its false econnomics.

Dover district council have a similar system for business office waste, only to go in council supplied coloured bags at £1 each . If you don’t leave rubbish out they investigate you . You are not allowed to place office waste in the recycling bins yet 95% of office waste is paper that can be recycled.
I live in a small block of flats and we have the small upright wheely bins in a communal area ( no recycling as we don’t have room for them ) the bins are barely adequate in size for our rubbish and overspill bags are left behind , then they decided to go to collections every fortnight instead of weekly . The size of the bins or quantity wasn’t changed with the inevitable result . Complaints to the council refuse section had little effect . An email with photos and a hospital report with the official paperwork for a case of compilo bacteria ( a notifiable disease) sent to Environmental Health had an immediate effect and we are back to weekly collections.
As many will know most council departments are run by idiots but you can defeat them by using their systems against them and being savvy with legislation and council rules and regulations .
It is very satisfying to give the local authority a poke in the eye .

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

so it seems that our council is the only one in the country to charge for household rubbish sacks…

Think Eden is one of the few councils who still do bags for household. I know Keswick went wheelie bins probably 20 years ago, and south ■■■■■■■ were also wheelie bins for years. Here we’ve got wheelie bins (main waste & recycling) emptied every other week, not sure when they went from bags but few can remember bags.

I remember the ones in Penrith when they switched to those special bags would often tie them to the fence or tie 2 together to make them heavier, but not 100% reliable. Most of the time they’d give you 2 new bags regardless of how many you put out. Sure they were 70p back then too.

As for who to blame - the EU and whichever government was in charge (I lost track) as they decided councils had to pay for every ton of waste not recycled so they cut everyone down to 2 bags. Technically you are being done over as you get more than 4 bags per wheelie bin (2 weeks worth).

I assume they still have the tiny recycling black boxes where the lids fall off in the wind at 3am? There was a time another local company took everything under the sun for recycling, then the council shafted them by starting their own which only took about 3 types of items…very clever Eden Council!

trevHCS:
Think Eden is one of the few councils who still do bags for household. I know Keswick went wheelie bins probably 20 years ago, and south ■■■■■■■ were also wheelie bins for years. Here we’ve got wheelie bins (main waste & recycling) emptied every other week, not sure when they went from bags but few can remember bags.

I remember the ones in Penrith when they switched to those special bags would often tie them to the fence or tie 2 together to make them heavier, but not 100% reliable. Most of the time they’d give you 2 new bags regardless of how many you put out. Sure they were 70p back then too.

As for who to blame - the EU and whichever government was in charge (I lost track) as they decided councils had to pay for every ton of waste not recycled so they cut everyone down to 2 bags. Technically you are being done over as you get more than 4 bags per wheelie bin (2 weeks worth).

I assume they still have the tiny recycling black boxes where the lids fall off in the wind at 3am? There was a time another local company took everything under the sun for recycling, then the council shafted them by starting their own which only took about 3 types of items…very clever Eden Council!

Best answer… thanks

Our local council which is the Moray conning council have just introduced a £36 per year charge for emptying the garden refuse bins once every three weeks, and they have increased the time interval for collection of the other bins as well . I wont be paying it for sure. I have bought two ride on lawn mowers over the past few years to cut the grass at the back of our house and the beach which has picnic benches but was no fun for anyone as they thought fit to cut the grass only about three times per year, wonder if I should chuck them a bill now ■■?

Ours, Derbyshire Dales, takes as many black bags as folk leave out up to a point. Recently somebody in our locality left fourteen bags out by a tree and they were taken (but under protest) simply because there was no proof as to who had actually left them! :confused: It hasn’t happened since though. Many properties are unsuitable for wheelie bins as they have steps so they have to use bags, however I don’t think the council actually provide them? I do know that many areas are now charging annually for garden bins, it hasn’t happened here yet but surely will eventually.

Pete.

windrush:
Ours, Derbyshire Dales, takes as many black bags as folk leave out up to a point. Recently somebody in our locality left fourteen bags out by a tree and they were taken (but under protest) simply because there was no proof as to who had actually left them! :confused: It hasn’t happened since though. Many properties are unsuitable for wheelie bins as they have steps so they have to use bags, however I don’t think the council actually provide them? I do know that many areas are now charging annually for garden bins, it hasn’t happened here yet but surely will eventually.

Pete.

Our local council collect the garden and food waste every two weeks as part of the normal refuse collection then once a year if your are a rate payer you can collect a free bag of compost from the council in return for your recycling effort over the year, not a massive amount but at least your efforts are acknowledged