Honda set to shut swindon factory

bbc.co.uk/news/business-47282603

Don’t worry it’s just Project Fear…

We can sell the factory to the Russians, who were keen for us to leave, and they can start building Ladas for us to drive.

Still, at least the 3500 workers directly employed and the thousands more in the supply chain can go on the dole knowing we are free of ‘European dictatorship’ and they can buy bent bananas again.

Leave mans Leave…Leave your job, house, wife, family etc.

Nothing too worry about.
When we finally stop all these EE from coming here and taking our jobs we are going to be paid 2 quids more per hour ( or should I say 2 venezuelan
bolivar more per hour).
Everyone who can starts leaving this sinking titanic, including rich Brexit proponents.

Maybe the empty buildings could be used to manufacture jelly. That way plenty spare backbones can be made available for the remoaners :unamused:

Another section could be used for making tissues to dry their eyes…

Leave does indeed mean leave the United States of Europeski.

terrible news…i’m not hopeful for my job at JLR after brexit either, the car manufacturing industry really is suffering and brexit hasn’t even happened yet!

Sorry to hear that…now the can has been opened to reveal the worms within we need a second vote so we can see if we are still stupid enough to want to eat them.

Probably get ridiculed for saying this but what has this to do with brexit,?

Every single big company that has downsized or gone into administration have all pointed the fingers at brexit.

We all know the car industry is facing a global shift away from diesel and this is having a massive impact.
But it’s easy to point the finger brexit when your a ceo that has invested billion in diesel…
Or look at the retail industry loads of high street shops are going bust is it because of the national shift towards online shopping? Na mate brexit.
Toys r us blamed brexit lol.

Now sure the uncertainty doesn’t help but can we even quantify how much of a impact it’s actually having? Nope.

The mind of most remainers: ’ ceo says brexit uncertainty hasn’t helped’ == brexit causes job losses.
Heck if I was a ceo I would do the same, blame brexit so I can wash my hands of responsibility of messing up.

Just after the EU Japan trade deal was signed …

Well I’m not going to ridicule you Adam, because you are right, the threatened closure of Honda’s Swindon plant is nothing at all to do with Brexit, but the remainaics and very sore loser’s would like everyone to believe all this ‘project fear 10’ BS, it’s even sadder that we don’t have any MSM with integrity and none of them can be trusted and even so called ‘citizen’ journalist’s are pushing out some very dodgy views and personal opinion instead of facts or truth :exclamation:

Regards
Dave Penn;

I got into trouble earlier when I mentioned that BMI has gone bust and they were blaming Brexit, they didnt mention that they are flying their planes half full or in my case half empty.

Is it a coincidence that 2 Japanese car manufacturers have made announcements affecting UK plants since a free trade was signed?

I seem to remember the reason the Japanese wanted car plants in the UK was to gain tariff free access to the EU, they don’t have to do that anymore as they have a trade deal which gives them that and neither manufacturer has said they are moving production to other parts of Europe, despite Nissan having an alliance with Renault they are moving production to Japan.

There is also a global slowdown which will means many companies will be rationalising production and despite the global reach of many companies, when it comes to the crunch they will have a tendency look after their original countries plants first, we of course can’t as we voted for successive governments who believed in the free market, even when household names got sold off too global corporations of many other countries and often the production was moved abroad long before any idea of a referendum, let alone Brexit.

However I do wish our government would sort out how we are going forward with trading with the EU, the uncertainty is causing problems for businesses of all sizes.

I don’t see what the EU turning on diesel has to do with Honda closing its UK factory…Honda has always been pro-petrol and well placed to produce petrol cars.

Here’s what happened, with no political spin.

The Japanese car makers faced tariff barriers exporting to the EU.

To get under the barriers, they needed to build cars in the EU.

The UK was the obvious choice: English being the most widely-spoken western language in Japan.

On top of this, the UK courted the Japanese to open factories in the UK in places where there was a base of skilled but unemployed workers: Swindon (ex railways), Sunderland (ex shipyard) and Derbyshire (ex miners).

The Japanese companies involved always regarded the UK as being their base in the EU.

Now the EU (excluding the UK) and Japan have a free-trade agreement so product can flow seamlessly between the Japan and the EU.

The Uk had decided to leave the EU, and can’t agree with itself under what terms. A few weeks ago, the Japanese ambassador explained very clearly that this was going to call the future of Japan’s investment in the UK into question.

No one should be surprised by this.

The people of Swindon and Wiltshire voted Leave.

If that included Honda workers, they voted to leave their jobs.

More fools them.

How dare you come in here talking complete sense GasGas.

I know…I’m just waiting for the insults to come… :smiley:

Need to check yer fact’s gas gas, Honda have just put out a statement claiming the threat to the Swindon Factory is due to the downturn of demand for all vehicles in Europe and problems in the Eurozone, so unless Honda senior management are lying through their teeth, I’d say it hasn’t got a flying fxxx to do with leaving the EU but more about the EU MAFIA’s restrictive practices and need to control everything and everyone within the cartel.

Regards
Dave Penn;

GasGas:
I don’t see what the EU turning on diesel has to do with Honda closing its UK factory…Honda has always been pro-petrol and well placed to produce petrol cars.

Here’s what happened, with no political spin.

The Japanese car makers faced tariff barriers exporting to the EU.

To get under the barriers, they needed to build cars in the EU.

The UK was the obvious choice: English being the most widely-spoken western language in Japan.

On top of this, the UK courted the Japanese to open factories in the UK in places where there was a base of skilled but unemployed workers: Swindon (ex railways), Sunderland (ex shipyard) and Derbyshire (ex miners).

The Japanese companies involved always regarded the UK as being their base in the EU.

Now the EU (excluding the UK) and Japan have a free-trade agreement so product can flow seamlessly between the Japan and the EU.

The Uk had decided to leave the EU, and can’t agree with itself under what terms. A few weeks ago, the Japanese ambassador explained very clearly that this was going to call the future of Japan’s investment in the UK into question.

No one should be surprised by this.

The people of Swindon and Wiltshire voted Leave.

If that included Honda workers, they voted to leave their jobs.

More fools them.

Everybody is entitled to their own opinion, and that is all it is gas, gas. Until you can back up the majority of your statement with some tangible evidence then we might as well be just chinwagging down the pub. Rhetoric and unsubstantiated claims will always attract those lacking in knowledge of the subject matter but it is very poor journalism when you just aim for the lowest common denominator just to prove your own opinion might be correct even though it is only a load of rhetorical supposition.

Regards
Dave Penn;

Bear in mind, we had a massive global downturn in 2008-9.

Production at Honda stopped. The workers were kept on. Some took holidays, others were paid by Honda to do community work in and around Swindon. Honda was determined to keep the factory open long-term.

The situation in Europe now is not nearly as bad as it was then…yet the factory is closing■■?

GasGas:

Production at Honda stopped. The workers were kept on. Some took holidays, others were paid by Honda to do community work in and around Swindon. Honda was determined to keep the factory open long-term.

The situation in Europe now is not nearly as bad as it was then…yet the factory is closing■■?

But in 2008 Honda hadn’t just got tariff free access to the EU, something which you’ve already agreed has happened and why the factories were built in the UK in the first place.

GasGas:

Why duplicate plants you already have in your home country when you no longer need to because your goods will no longer be subject to import duty? Nissan chose not to make the X-Trail in Sunderland because the main global manufacturing facility and supply chain for X-Trail was already in Japan. The main reason Honda, Nissan and Toyota were in the UK and EU was because any vehicles imported from Japan had a 10% duty levied on them. That levy no longer exists.

Come on Dave. Japan and the EU have just signed a free trade deal. Why would Honda continue to build cars here when there will be tariffs? That’s the complete opposite of the trade deal they’ve just signed hence why they’re out of here.
Makes complete financial sense.