Brexit again!

I know I know but I will keep this to a specific point.

Has anyone noticed a lack of jobs to the brexit uncertainty? Seems to me its all the same.

Also as hgv drivers do you think we might be able to leverage brexit to demand more money if it turns out we will be even more in demand?

Basically how do you think this is going to effect us.

My personal opinion is assuming no delay on brexit then April 1St will be a good time to be a truck driver on the job market.
I think this because whatever the outcome the status quo will change and any change in law means companies will find opportunities to make money which wasn’t possible before.

Just to repeat this is about how leaving the EU relates to hgv drivers and if it will help us.

The only people who will make money out of Brexit are those that already have it.

If anyone thinks the working man will be better off financially then they’re very much mistaken IMO.

Put it this way… I’ve trimmed all outgoings back and paid off debt and fixed deals (mortgage/energy etc) for as long as I can. That’s how I think it’s going to go.

Also look at how sone of the most ardent Brexiteer people are handling their affairs (Dyson moving to Singapore, Jacob Rees-Mogg opening funds in Dublin so they retain EU access etc). Makes you think doesn’t it.

adam277:
Has anyone noticed a lack of jobs to the brexit uncertainty? Seems to me its all the same.

We’re quiet, but it’s nothing to do with Brexit, it’s production issues. Given that IIIRC,Italy is in recession and Germany is close to, we probably won’t be far behind.

albion:

adam277:

We’re quiet, but it’s nothing to do with Brexit, it’s production issues. Given that IIIRC,Italy is in recession and Germany is close to, we probably won’t be far behind.

Our normal post Xmas import lull hasn’t occured this year.
Some of our clients are stocking up before ‘E’ day. After then I daresay they will be using stocks so we’ll get a dip then.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Franglais:

albion:

adam277:

Our normal post Xmas import lull hasn’t occured this year.
Some of our clients are stocking up before ‘E’ day. After then I daresay they will be using stocks so we’ll get a dip then.

This. If anything its busier, certainly on import stuff or things that can be stockpiled but are brought in from the EU like certain plastic polymer stuff we distribute.

I dare say after that…

Regardless of whether we get a Brexit or not all the signs are there for a downturn, housing market unless in that weird surreal dump London has peaked, it won’t take much of a downturn to see house prices drop significantly, and our economy appears to be based on rising house prices and importing people to give the impression the economy is growing.
If we weren’t building houses and concreting over our once pleasant land like its going out of fashion, nor turning our motorways into death traps by removing the hard shoulder in order to service this unnatural population growth, we’d already be on a downward spiral…anyone noticed just how many tippers there are on the road?

My advice is if you have a good job now, especially if its something to do with staple food or other essential transport of almost permanent requirement, then if i were you i would look after it and keep it.

What Toonsy has done is good common sense, not sure the referral to JRM or Dyson has any merit re this but not getting into any arguments.
Put it this way i wouldn’t be splashing out on the never never on some overpriced too bloody clever for its own good new car, nor maxing me credit cards out on getting ■■■■■■ for 2 weeks in some foreign resort, i’d be doing as he has by being a good boy scout, be prepared dib dib dib.

Juddian:
Regardless of whether we get a Brexit or not all the signs are there for a downturn, housing market unless in that weird surreal dump London has peaked, it won’t take much of a downturn to see house prices drop significantly, and our economy appears to be based on rising house prices and importing people to give the impression the economy is growing.
If we weren’t building houses and concreting over our once pleasant land like its going out of fashion, nor turning our motorways into death traps by removing the hard shoulder in order to service this unnatural population growth, we’d already be on a downward spiral…anyone noticed just how many tippers there are on the road?

My advice is if you have a good job now, especially if its something to do with staple food or other essential transport of almost permanent requirement, then if i were you i would look after it and keep it.

What Toonsy has done is good common sense, not sure the referral to JRM or Dyson has any merit re this but not getting into any arguments.
Put it this way i wouldn’t be splashing out on the never never on some overpriced too bloody clever for its own good new car, nor maxing me credit cards out on getting ■■■■■■ for 2 weeks in some foreign resort, i’d be doing as he has by being a good boy scout, be prepared dib dib dib.

Sorry to clarify the Dyson/Mogg… it’s to do with being prepared. Even ardent Brexiteer folk are doing planning as they see fit.

I think a lot of people have been saving on a individual basis.

Once brexit is done and if it all goes well then I expect there to be quite a lot of people with money to spend.
We had our worst Xmas in a decade according to many retailers so signs point to people saving.

To be fair though Im trying to see the positives in this.
I also won’t be cancelling my 2 week trip to gran caneria in March because of brexit. :laughing:

adam277:

Once brexit is done and if it all goes well then I expect there to be quite a lot of people with money to spend.
We had our worst Xmas in a decade according to many retailers so signs point to people saving.

To be fair though Im trying to see the positives in this.
I also won’t be cancelling my 2 week trip to gran caneria in March because of brexit. :laughing:

We’ll still be pre-Brexit then. April though… :laughing:

Since we started back after Xmas shutdown it does seem quieter than was last year.
Could Be brexit could be numerous other things who knows . Am.just making the most of the shorter days while I can

With most of the major euro countries either in or nearly in a recession it is bound to be quieter we are having to hunt around a lot more for loads out of France at the moment as it is so quiet, the world’s economy is heading for a slow down for various reasons of which Brexit is not one of them however inconvenient that may be to some people’s reasoning

adam277:

Not me, just in case Pound Sterling takes a hit I imported my car from a Japanese auction that deals in Dollars before Brexit :sunglasses:

adam277:
I know I know but I will keep this to a specific point.

Also as hgv drivers do you think we might be able to leverage brexit to demand more money if it turns out we will be even more in demand?

Basically how do you think this is going to effect us.

My personal opinion is assuming no delay on brexit then April 1St will be a good time to be a truck driver on the job market.
I think this because whatever the outcome the status quo will change and any change in law means companies will find opportunities to make money which wasn’t possible before.

Just to repeat this is about how leaving the EU relates to hgv drivers and if it will help us.

Wages on agency - seem to be rising sharply. Those full timers who wouldn’t even look at the possibility of ever working for an agency - won’t have noticed.
If wages within their full time job remain stagnant, then shush! - don’t tap the glass! :wink:

I would agree with your notion that April 1st this year will be an EXCELLENT time to be at least an agency driver, who will always be the front line when it comes to market forces acting upwardly upon a driver’s hourly rate…

If there are riots because Brexit isn’t done by March 29th - then rates might rise even faster - because you’ll be expected to run gauntlets all over the country, it could be said. :open_mouth:

I got made redundant from my full time post last october. I joined three agencies at that time. One gave me zippo work to date.

The other two - were giving me £18ph and £19.48ph respectively. I’ve just chucked in my £18ph agency job, because they wanted me to sign a 1 hour contract to replace my outgoing zero hours contract. This would oblige me to do at least one shift a week for them, meaning I could be forced under contractual obligation to ditch a shift already given to me by the other agency paying the higher rate.
I’ve been flat out so far this year, NO quiet month of January for me. Indeed, the run-up to Christmas only had me doing 2-3 shifts per week. Now it is consistently 40+ hours over 4 or 5 shifts.
I don’t have enough hours left to do 6 shifts in a week as yet, as most shifts are 10-12 hours in length, which suits me fine.
Never been busier! :open_mouth:

…I think I’ll stay on agency for a while now - even if I’m offered full time. :wink:

toonsy:
Also look at how sone of the most ardent Brexiteer people are handling their affairs (Dyson moving to Singapore, Jacob Rees-Mogg opening funds in Dublin so they retain EU access etc). Makes you think doesn’t it.

Dysons HQ move to Singapore involves just 2 job moves, Jorn Jensen, the chief financial officer, and Martin Bowen, the general counsel.

Jacob Rees-Mogg is a partner in Somerset Capital Management but does not make any investment decisions.

It does seem that the media only report what they want you to hear

UK won’t fall out of the EU without deal, I know this for a fact. So not much will change from hgv driver point of view.

Juddian:

For house prices to actually fall as “traded prices” - then there would have to be a build-up of people who desire both to sell at lower prices and/or people who HAVE to sell for whatever reason, most likely “can’t afford to pay the mortgage any longer”.

I would therefore relate any downturn in house prices to (1) People losing their jobs (2) People being offered promotions that require them to move house - actually worth going through all that upheaval for. (3) People that have died since the referendum, which Remainers like to tell us are “all Brexiteers”…

Market forces pushing upwards rather than downwards - include (1) Migrants living here who didn’t get kicked out after all (2) Wealthy Foreigners likely to be currently stockpiling savings in Sterling, only to move it into property once Brexit is done (3) Higher wages leading to more mortgage take-up.

wolves:
UK won’t fall out of the EU without deal, I know this for a fact. So not much will change from hgv driver point of view.

What version software in your crystal ball?
Mine is a bit cloudy concerning events this coming afternoon, so could do with an upgrade into next month’s events.

wing-nut:

toonsy:

Dysons HQ move to Singapore involves just 2 job moves, Jorn Jensen, the chief financial officer, and Martin Bowen, the general counsel.

Jacob Rees-Mogg is a partner in Somerset Capital Management but does not make any investment decisions.

It does seem that the media only report what they want you to hear

Dyson relocated his manufacturing to Thailand because the UK wouldn’t join the Euro, and his electric car business has always been in Singapore. Now the company will pay Singapore taxes too, and when it becomes difficult to recruit European engineers to his English R&D operation, no doubt that will follow.
Meanwhile, he personally will no doubt be happy to continue to accept a small fortune in British farm subsidy each year…I can’t see him relocating that part of his empire.

According to the CM website, Mercedes-Benz is now frantically stockpiling spare parts for trucks in the UK in anticipation of the Brexit balls-up.

Some time ago I spoke with someone at another German truck manufacturer, who said they were looking at the origin of all their components, and were finding alternative sources for those of British origin. He said there was a ‘surprisingly high’ British content in their trucks, but that was obviously going to change if there was a no-deal Brexit.

Could that be the reason for the ■■■/Schaeffler factory in Llanelli being closed?

Oh well, the people of Llanelli mostly voted for Brexit, so I expect they had other jobs lined up anyway.

mrginge:

adam277:

Not me, just in case Pound Sterling takes a hit I imported my car from a Japanese auction that deals in Dollars before Brexit :sunglasses:

Since you had to buy the dollars, I don’t see the advantage. You also now have a ‘grey’ import with all that implies for warranty etc.