26 year old HGV - to move to Sweden

:confused: Hello.

I’m 26 years old. Currently living in Sheffield.
Been working odd jobs here and there since leaving university. Own my own house etc.
Currently can’t get a job with my degree. Degrees are a waste of money these days, a scam haha.
Passed my driving when I was 19.
I’ve always loved driving, being out on the road, away from people etc.
So, I’m thinking about doing my HGV training to become a driver.
There’s a shortage of drivers due to online shopping, so finding a job shouldn’t be too difficult, especially in Sweden.
I would like to move to Sweden eventually.
There is a shortage of drivers there and I have friends there, can speak some Swedish, always willing to learn etc.
Money isn’t that important, as long as I can afford to eat and live a reasonable life, that will do.
I’m single and it will probably remain that way.

Looking for some advice. Thanks drivers.

I passed my class 1 when i was 21 & single with a plan on going to live & work in America (i have family their) but i met my now wife & didn’t. Fast forward 24 years & 3 children & it’s the one regret i have always had, my wife & children have no desire to move anywhere abroad.
My advice would be get your licence get some experience behind you & go for it else like me you will regret it for the rest of your life, if it doesn’t work out you have lost nothing.
Being 26 is no age I’m still learning stuff now ! Good luck whatever you decide.

Member on here called hutpik moved to where Santa lives so if you put Sweden in the topic title there is more chance he will see it.

As for the age, nowadays I would say it’s relatively rare for 20 somethings to get lorry licences compared to years back, a lot of drivers start in their 40’s from my experience.

Your never too old to learn to drive trucks, but why would you do it? Especially when the pay and conditions faced by drivers are atrocious, add in the cost of learning to drive and the really check soon kicks in.

Truckdriver12:
Hello.
I’m 26 years old. Currently living in Sheffield.
Been working odd jobs here and there since leaving university. Own my own house etc.
Currently can’t get a job with my degree. Degrees are a waste of money these days, a scam haha.
Passed my driving when I was 19.
I’ve always loved driving, being out on the road, away from people etc.
So, I’m thinking about doing my HGV training to become a driver.
There’s a shortage of drivers due to online shopping, so finding a job shouldn’t be too difficult, especially in Sweden.
I would like to move to Sweden eventually.
There is a shortage of drivers there and I have friends there, can speak some Swedish, always willing to learn etc.
Money isn’t that important, as long as I can afford to eat and live a reasonable life, that will do.
I’m single and it will probably remain that way.

Looking for some advice. Thanks drivers.

Just don’t be taken in by hype of the “driver shortage”.

There is no shortage of drivers anywhere, and the only companies who take on new drivers usually have grossly unpleasant conditions or absurdly low pay. Thus the surfeit of experienced drivers would rather sit at home or do something else, whilst the worst employers will see new drivers as fresh meat (which is why they constantly use “shortage” hype to keep the supply of fresh meat coming).

Truckdriver12…

GO FOR IT !!!

peirre:
Your never too old to learn to drive trucks, but why would you do it? Especially when the pay and conditions faced by drivers are atrocious, add in the cost of learning to drive and the really check soon kicks in.

I’m not a sociable person, so I struggle to find jobs.
I enjoy my own company.
Love exploring. Driving around Europe.
Love the excitement of travel, being on the open road, listening to music etc.
I’m a ‘big guy’ - tall and live a messy lifestyle, so ■■■■■■■ into bottles is fine.
I went to university, but I’m not one of those ‘posh lads’ haha. I ■■■■■■■ hate them.

I’ve got some money behind me already, so learning costs are fine.

I’m just sick and tired of the politically correct culture in the world. I wanna escape it all. Tired of being stuck inside all the time. It’s difficult to explain.

do it, loved my time driving in Sweden, and all over Europe, just don’t get a job driving back here every trip, you need to work smarter not harder,

Truckdriver12:
I’m just sick and tired of the politically correct culture in the world. I wanna escape it all.

IN SWEDEN? PMSL :laughing:

My degree was in Physical Geography, so I know maps. I have the map of the UK and Europe in my head haha.
I know where everything is, motorways, towns, villages etc.
I have good spatial skills.

Will that help being recruited?

milodon:

Truckdriver12:
I’m just sick and tired of the politically correct culture in the world. I wanna escape it all.

IN SWEDEN? PMSL :laughing:

Haven’t been there for years, has it gone really downhill or is that just media rubbish?

There is absolutely no driver shortage in this country.

Truckdriver12:
My degree was in Physical Geography, so I know maps. I have the map of the UK and Europe in my head haha.

No. It’s far more than you need, have a look at some of the planks you see driving around and see what you think :laughing:

Seriously though, lots of firms will train you and give you a job at the end of it. Probably not the best ones, but easy way in and good experience. Obviously they will have some kind of clause to get their money back if you bugger off within a year or whatever.

My Swedish friend moved to Ireland to escape his hometown which, in his words had become overrun.
This was a small town outside of Stockholm.

The grass isn’t always greener, they are just as pc as here.

BUT… that shouldn’t stop you if that’s your dream.

Drempels:

Truckdriver12:

No. It’s far more than you need, have a look at some of the planks you see driving around and see what you think :laughing:

Seriously though, lots of firms will train you and give you a job at the end of it. Probably not the best ones, but easy way in and good experience. Obviously they will have some kind of clause to get their money back if you bugger off within a year or whatever.

I have no problem at all with other drivers.

Mr 21 there is a shortage of good drivers, just remember you will be looked upon as just another driver, you need to prove you are a driver, not a steeringwheel attendant, but yes go for it, your single, as you have friends out there, that’s a good starting place to get into somewhere for a job.

Truckdriver12:
I’m just sick and tired of the politically correct culture in the world. I wanna escape it all. Tired of being stuck inside all the time. It’s difficult to explain.

I think plenty of us understand!

You’ll get people who hate the job and people that love it answering you. You certainly are not too old. You may get lucky and get a good job to start with. If you don’t like the job after a few years, you can change again.

Truckdriver12:
Though with no deal Brexit, is there a chance drivers won’t be able to move to Europe anymore?

Who knows what will happen, but before the EU or even the. Common Market existed, people used to go and live in other countries.

Just a few questions.

1. What are the eye sight requirements to pass the medical exam? Are there weight restrictions too?
  2. How do you get a job when you have no driving experience, after getting the HGV license? First step is probably the hardest?
  3. How many years driving experience do you need under your belt before firms in other countries will employ you?

1 Looking at some people on the road,as long as you leave theguide dog at home.
2 The same way we all did,a bit of ■■■■■■■■ and a lot of enthusiasm.
3The same as 2 if they need people.
Edit.Make sure you like Winters.Now -30c and ±30cms snow expected for weekend.