Scared in a truck tell your story!

I’ll start this thread with my scary story from 1974, I was on a dodgey night out I parked the truck @ Lymm truck stop and stood by the exit with my tacho box in my hand trying to get down to J2 on the M5, the reason was my 1st born was due any day and I just wanted to get home, anyway I wasnt waiting long and a Volvo F88 pulled up and driver asked where I was going I told him then I jumped in, he was on his way to Cardiff with 20 ton of potatoes well we chatted and chatted and it was hissing down with rain then we came up to J10 on the M6 where the gas tanks are or were ? IKEA there now me thinks the 1st and 2nd lanes were full and we wernt hangging about so the driver went out in the 3rd lane when I looked over at the speedo we were doing 92MPH in the hissing rain I kid you not I was so glad to get out at J2 :open_mouth:

a few years ago knakkered and heading on a quiet night out in the country on a good road sitting around 60ish ( as you do)
a bit of patchy ground mist,not heavy fog cos you could kinda see for miles,but misty enough.
pair of lights coming towards me in the distance,im wondering if its headlights clouded in thick mist,or someone running on sidelights .
the closer they get the more im thinking that theyre driving on my side of the road.
just at the point im thinking they have to be sidelights and theyre definately on my side of the road and im at the point of a 45 ton head on,it dawns on me that im driving through the middle of two black cows standing in front of me.
cold shivers,and flat panic for a few seconds then me buhole stopped twitching.

LOL :laughing: at dieseldog999 :laughing:

I wasnt scared on this trip but…I picked up a trailor in Portsmouth for Norbert Dangley Bits years ago and got an address in Northampton, it was a full load 33 pallets of throat lozengers I kept thinking this is pulling well today fully loaded ? I even stopped one time to check the trailer # was correct it was so off I went again. I got just past Oxford by this time it had gotten the better of me I was convinced I had an empty trailer on, so pulled up in a layby I got some slack in the seal cables and lifted the the side of the canvas up n sure enough it was fully loaded. I got to delivery address and they offerd me a cup of coffee I asked the guy unloading me what the weight was he said oh about 4 ton.

Donkeys years ago, A45 as it was then heading towards Caxton GIbbet, probably about 2am, cool winter night.
I’m batting along at a nice steady 60, Daf 2800 empty tipper trailer, and all of a sudden everything has gone light, superlight, the sky cleared and the temp suddenly dropped and that wet road was now a clear sheet of ice :open_mouth:

Daren’t brake, i’m about half a mile from the Gibbet now and there’s hazard lights ahead at the roundabout, Lord knows how but managed to knock the speed down just enough, and when i got to the roundabout there were lorries in the ditch and others stuck half off the road edge, the blokes there could barely stand up, nothing i could do to help them so slithered off into the night.

The only other time this has happend to me was when I was heading down the M6 towards spaggeti junction on my way to Hatfield fully loaded in a Commer hiline with no power steering, I was in the middle lane overtaking a Whites removal pantecnican when all of a sudden there was an allmighty bang/explosion ? and nothing happend for what seemed 30 secs to a minute I looked at him he looked at me and both of us shrugged are shoulders to each other then my front near side tyre was none exsitent I was on metal :open_mouth: with luck he saw what happend and eased off to let me limp on to the hard shoulder, I saw my life flash befor my eyes that day :grimacing:

something like juddians …winter rural Scotland on a 6wheeler ,narrow roads …in the distance was another one of ours I was catching up quickly (driver in front was giving me the keep it chapping on the 2 way )over a little hump kf road was covered in thick ice ,fields had flooded earlier that week and Gordon B was standing having a leak against his wheels knowing full well I was behind him…im now going sideways continuing to 180 facing the way I come ."telling "Gordon to get moving NOW"well hes spinning trying to move :blush: well I shot past Gordon on the verge backwards on the ice and stopped a fair bit on. :open_mouth: Not a lot was said , glad I was lucky . lesson well learned by me ,about ice road conditions …and Gordon never ran front door for any o us again. a tale from the 80s. Similar story about 15yrs later same company …this time in a RCV a dennis iirc winter again at the top o a switchback down into a valley morning still darkish the crew and myself spot carlights going down the bottom section, ohhh the car made it so can we DUH ….so off we went low gear on the auto box round first corner THEN that sick feeling you get in your stomach the ditches had all overflowed /ran in by farm machinery and frozen .I drove the front intae “the ditch” but all that did was to act like a post as it wwhipped the back end right round and down the switchback I went until the hopper bottomed out on the first switch and it stopped us from flying over the edge about 30ish ft into the field………………………was stuck there 8hrs until I was winched up (not to mention one o the rescue vans loaded with salt came down along side me ). Seems the lights we saw was the farm worker who got stuck and turned back down. Alls fun until I run out o coffee jimmy

a soon as i see these theres usually cause my heart to skip a beat or 3.
always a good cure for constipation. :open_mouth:

scarey stuff.jpg

VOSTAPO.jpg

A few times in Fleetwood woke up scared and confused after climbing into the cab in the small hours with a Kate Moss lookalike only to discover that by 8 o’clock they had morphed into Hilda Hogden, enough to put you off the drink for at least a week :smiley: :smiley:

Mazzer2:
A few times in Fleetwood woke up scared and confused after climbing into the cab in the small hours with a Kate Moss lookalike only to discover that by 8 o’clock they had morphed into Hilda Hogden, enough to put you off the drink for at least a week :smiley: :smiley:

Wot only in Fleetwood ■■? happened to me many times over the years in many ports, UK and Europe !! :slight_smile: but never put me off the drink …

As related to me by my wife a few days ago … she was driving along in the dark and her feet were cold so she put the heater fan on full and directed the air flow into the foot well. A minute or so later she felt something rub against her cheek and nearly bricked it, apparently one of the many empty poop bags we have in all the motors for our ‘daft dawg’ had been caught by the air and flew around her car. She laughs about it now but not at the time …

raymundo:
As related to me by my wife a few days ago … she was driving along in the dark and her feet were cold so she put the heater fan on full and directed the air flow into the foot well. A minute or so later she felt something rub against her cheek and nearly bricked it, apparently one of the many empty poop bags we have in all the motors for our ‘daft dawg’ had been caught by the air and flew around her car. She laughs about it now but not at the time …

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Left grangemouth freight yard for fraserburgh. Nice sunny day. Was wearing tshirt and shorts. Driving up weather turned started snowing. Got to fraserbugh -2. Container got tipped 3 hours later. Weather was absolute ■■■■■■ Used the A952 to shave some time off my journey. Bad idea. Cars lying in ditches blizzard weather.

Was coming downhill absolute ■■■■■■■ myself tapping brakes to keep steady. Unit stated to jackknife. Managed to rescue it after id pooped my pants. Had big hill to climb . Got stuck. Blocked road. Had to wait on gritters coming to dig me out. Was on news telling people to avoid as hgv got stuck. Ended up near on a 24 hour shift. Only time ive had the unit slide away and be pushed downhill sideways for a good 100 yards.

Many moons ago , left Buxton at daft o’clock in an s21Foden artic heading over towards Leek . Got to the Winking Man pub and as usual tapped the brakes to start changing down ready for the big drop down the1in7 Upper Hulme. . Nothing happened , pedal rock hard and speed building up. Too late to think of bailing out so wait until the engine was screaming , throw it into neutral and settle for the ride . Some ride it was too , speedo went off the clock long before the 1in7 hill , all I could was try to keep it straight and not snaking too much . I dread to think what the speed was at the bottom , but it was still doing 60 at the old army camp . I must say , I was quite concerned at the time . Dave