George&Mildred

Wow just reacquainted myself with this Thames tv sitcom from the seventies and what a festival of delight it is.It always seems Fawlty Towers and Fools n Horses get the plaudits in the usual seasonal tributes,rightly so in many respects,but having got the G&M boxset recently off ebay,verily I say unto thee,this has to be the hidden jewel in the comedy pecking order of true,feel good,English comedy genius at it’s total zenith.
I loved it as a nipper but through adult eyes It’s incredible just how awesome and life enhancing it really is.Yootha Joyce(Mildred) radiates,sassy warmth,Brian Murphy ( George)the classic,weapons grade,hapless,hen pecked husband,just hits the button for sheer,flat to the mat,belly laughs,not forgetting the interplay with the Ropers next door neighbour,hyper pompous,Jeffrey Fourmile

I recently got the Comic Strip box set.It’s a pale shadow of what real humour once was all about and quickly found its destiny at the local charity shop.

G&M seriously hits the spot,it’s of its time,certainly,but the wit and timing,is diamond sharp and totally wonderful.Merry xmas all.

Love thy neighbour was a favourite of mine

the 1930’s Brough Superior motorcycle combination George used to ride is worth a fortune!

re your mention of only fools and horses , my daughter and son in law recently had a cuddy load of Australian family to visit. they came across del n rodders whilst looking through the channels available here , its not shown over there apparently . they promptly went out and bought box sets to show their friends over there .

syramax:
re your mention of only fools and horses , my daughter and son in law recently had a cuddy load of Australian family to visit. they came across del n rodders whilst looking through the channels available here , its not shown over there apparently . they promptly went out and bought box sets to show their friends over there .

Kinda makes you proud to come from a land where this type of stuff is created.Sainsburys are rolling out the 70s gems,Liverbirds,Steptoe n son,Reggie Perrin etc in their box set glory,a reminder of when comedy made you contort with laughter,(pre.Michael Macintyre) :unamused: .Been trying to track down a decent Harry Enfield box set,the one that has those Pathe News style riffs with Cholmondley Warner and Grayson and that sketch of Jimmy Hill doing his football punditry while tripping on acid.I remember crawling the floor crippled with laughter at that one.
All I can seem to find is Fast show and Kevin the teen stuff,not the fine body of work Enfield did prior to teaming up with the not as funny,Paul Whitehouse.

George n Mildred is brilliant :laughing:

Certainly is,I think Ann Fourmile,Jeffries wife exudes pure class,but jesus her hairstyle became distinctly dowdy from her earlier foxy look,she had some wonderful retorts to her status seeking hubby.

It’s the subtleties that I love,the scene where Mildred stands in as Jeffries consort in place of his otherwise engaged wife,to a pompous social event.Mildred aqquires one of her more garish,floaty numbers for the occasion,a riot of violent red,with “golden” inlays,then the look of total horror on Fourmiles face when confronted with the vision of his stand in.Priceless.

Must admit I’ve been in the grip this year of chronic boxsetosis,raped and pillaged with Ivor the Boneless across Wessex,then with George the Spineless across Hampton Wick.A very agreeable way to dodge xmas all told.

Last of the Summer Wine I liked also The Young Ones.
Little Britain :laughing:

manalishi:
Certainly is,I think Ann Fourmile,Jeffries wife exudes pure class,but jesus her hairstyle became distinctly dowdy from her earlier foxy look,she had some wonderful retorts to her status seeking hubby.

Must admit I’ve been in the grip this year of chronic boxsetosis,raped and pillaged with Ivor the Boneless across Wessex,then with George the Spineless across Hampton Wick.A very agreeable way to dodge xmas all told.

^^^^^^^^
for “foxy” substitute scrubber when she is in steptoe and son as one of harolds tarts.
pvc coat and face like a city bakeries halloween cake.
it might be the episode when he tries to do her on the water bed,if not that episode its around the same time. class :slight_smile:

manalishi:

^^^^^^^^
for “foxy” substitute scrubber when she is in steptoe and son as one of harolds tarts.
it might be the episode when he tries to do her on the water bed,if not that episode its around the same time. class :slight_smile:

dieseldog999 you need some axle grease on those puter keys :open_mouth:

or a Face like a bucket of frogs eh LOL

Colin in Sweden:
dieseldog999 you need some axle grease on those puter keys :open_mouth:

or a Face like a bucket of frogs eh LOL

not sure what it is,it only happens on here. never a problem anywhere else.
i was going to say she had a face like a welders bench,but in her case i thik a bag of chisels might be more accurate?
hopefully this only posts once. :slight_smile:

LOL The grease worked ok then ?

dieseldog999:

manalishi:

^^^^^^^^

No not Mildred the foxy one…The wife of next door neighbour,Jeffrey!,Saw that episode of Yootha Joyce on Steptoe n son,no great shakes in the looks arena but a wonderful,warm lady nontheless.She died too young sadly with a raging alcohol habit due to her insecurities of being typecast in the roles she was given.No I was referring to Ann Fourmile a real peach of a gal in the earlier episodes,but then descends into a frumpy hausfra over the shows lifespan.

They broadcast George and Mildred on Freeview during daytime .I think its Channel 10. Where are the STAR performers to-day Roy Castle Shirley Bassey .I just don’t see people of that calibre.

If you like George & Mildred go and get Man about the house as George and Mildred is a spin of from it.Bless this house is also from that era.

fingermissing:
If you like George & Mildred go and get Man about the house as George and Mildred is a spin of from it.Bless this house is also from that era.

Sally Tomsett,Paula Wilcox,Sally Gleeson.Nuf said. :smiley:

Any update on Love thy neighbour?

George and Mildred love it can’t beat it, pickled onions in bed lol.

I know when it’s started usually get “we are on” from the living room lol :smiley: