Trucker's Future post-Brexit

Where will our transport industry be at the end of this financial year, what with Brexit due less than a week earlier on March 29th 2019?

I invite the political pundits among you all to propose and speculate the answers to the following black and white questions.
ALL questions refer to what the UK state of play will be on April 1st 2019.

(1) Who will be Prime Minister?
(2) Will Brexit be done by 29th March?
(3) Name some front bench MPs that will have resigned by that point
(4) Where will the Pound be at on the financial exchanges (To the Euro and/or USD)
(5) Will a meaningful vote have taken place by this date?
(6) Which UK-based Haulier will be doing the Best between now and 1st April?
(7) Which anywhere-based Haulier will have gone bust by 1st April?
(8) Will agency going rates reach beyond 2x minimum wage by 1st April? If so, at which client firms?
(9) Will any parliamentary seats have changed hands by 1st April 2019? (anyone resigning, will presumably be in safe seats for that party, so it is a long shot to call any such seats…)

and finally

(10) Will the EU have broken a major UK law by 1st April - or the other way around? by “Major Law” - I mean where a custodial sentence would be levvied upon offending suited person or persons involved…

I’ll start off with my own predictions:

(1) Theresa May will still be PM.

(2) A Hard Brexit will be backdoored by the PM much to the consternation of the majority of parliament.

(3) Keir Starmer will resign, so he can take a pop at Corbyn’s job. Vince Cable will step down as leader of the Libdems and resign his seat. He (Keir Starmer) might actually succeed in becoming leader of the Labour Party of course, in which case he isn’t going anywhere.

(4) The Pound, will dip on March 29th to $1.15 before rallying to close the day back where it started at $1.30. In the days that follow, a short squeeze will force the pound up beyond $1.50, back where it was the day before Leave won the referendum in 2016.

(5) NO meaningful vote will have taken place, because May is bulletproof for another year, thanks to winning a vote of no confidence that cannot be tabled for a second time in 2019 without her express permission, which she won’t give. Any attempt to suspend the Fixed Term Parliaments Act to force an early election, will also fail - because the Tories will vote against it, and a two-thirds majority of the house is needed.

(6) The UK Hauler doing the best - will be John Lewis imo. They are heavily preparing for a sudden, if not hard Brexit as we speak.

(7) The Haulier that will do the worst (imo) - will be a Euro Tramping outfit based in Yorkshire. DHL and Kuhne & Nagel will also struggle among the big boys. I see Canute as being the weakest haulier with presence in the South of England.

(8) ALL major agencies will be paying at least £15ph by April 1st for benchmark “Midweek Nights” and “Right-Through Rates” will become common place as well, I predict.

(9) Twickenham will be won by the Conservatives, should Vince Cable step down. Keir Starmer’s St Pancras seat - will be won by the Greens, I predict, should he actually do the decent thing, and resign as an MP.

(10)
The EU will find the entire UK in contempt of EU law by performing an illegal hard brexit. UK hauliers tramping onto the mainland continent will be the victims of EU-wide shenanigans, such as fining any and all UK truckers for so much as walking on the cracks in the pavement… Loads will be empounded, and vehicles confiscated as well, which the UK will consider as an act of piracy, if not outright war.
Instead of retaliating against EU truckers over here in Britain, we offer an amnesty to EU citizens - and launch a trade war designed to bring down the EU establishment, and force through “regime change”, eventually leading to the break-up of the EU back into it’s member states with their own currency.

Mark Carney, incumbent governor of the Bank of England - will be fired by the first lord of the treasury, which will of course completely blindside him. He’ll be offered an amnesty to “go quietly”. If not - there are charges of industrial espionage, and assisting a hostile foreign power to consider. Brexit cannot complete - until Mark Carney is replaced at the Bank of England. Why? - He works for the EU and IMF rather than the UK and British Electorate - that’s why. Whilst I’d like to see Nigel Farage take over that position, realistically - Andrew Sentance is most likely to get the job.

The above text in blue are my opinions only. I don’t really know anything, and am just making some educated guesses based on what observations I’ve made these past 30 months since the referendum result came in.

Think I’m wrong? - Let’s hear your own opinions in as many areas as possible. I’d be fascinated to see the Left view on all this btw.

youtube.com/watch?v=7GTjRLdtLE4
youtube.com/watch?v=EQGDKw0tTl8

Corbyn has really dropped the ball this time around. May’s spiel - was designed to get past Keir Starmer - and NOT Corbyn, who can be got around by a teenager’s lazy lob…

Congratulations on the first April 1st post of 2019.
Well done in raising our spirits on these sank chilly days.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Winseer:
Where will our transport industry be at the end of this financial year, what with Brexit due less than a week earlier on March 29th 2019?

I invite the political pundits among you all to propose and speculate the answers to the following black and white questions.

(4) Where will the Pound be at on the financial exchanges (To the Euro and/or USD)
(8) Will agency going rates reach beyond 2x minimum wage by 1st April? If so, at which client firms?
(9) Will any parliamentary seats have changed hands by 1st April 2019? (anyone resigning, will presumably be in safe seats for that party, so it is a long shot to call any such seats…)

and finally

(10) Will the EU have broken a major UK law by 1st April - or the other way around? by “Major Law” - I mean where a custodial sentence would be levvied upon offending suited person or persons involved…

(2) A Hard Brexit will be backdoored by the PM much to the consternation of the majority of parliament.

(3) Keir Starmer will resign, so he can take a pop at Corbyn’s job. Vince Cable will step down as leader of the Libdems and resign his seat. He (Keir Starmer) might actually succeed in becoming leader of the Labour Party of course, in which case he isn’t going anywhere.

(4) The Pound, will dip on March 29th to $1.15 before rallying to close the day back where it started at $1.30. In the days that follow, a short squeeze will force the pound up beyond $1.50, back where it was the day before Leave won the referendum in 2016.

(5) NO meaningful vote will have taken place, because May is bulletproof for another year, thanks to winning a vote of no confidence that cannot be tabled for a second time in 2019 without her express permission, which she won’t give. Any attempt to suspend the Fixed Term Parliaments Act to force an early election, will also fail - because the Tories will vote against it, and a two-thirds majority of the house is needed.

(6) The UK Hauler doing the best - will be John Lewis imo. They are heavily preparing for a sudden, if not hard Brexit as we speak.

(7) The Haulier that will do the worst (imo) - will be a Euro Tramping outfit based in Yorkshire. DHL and Kuhne & Nagel will also struggle among the big boys. I see Canute as being the weakest haulier with presence in the South of England.

(8) ALL major agencies will be paying at least £15ph by April 1st for benchmark “Midweek Nights” and “Right-Through Rates” will become common place as well, I predict.

(9) Twickenham will be won by the Conservatives, should Vince Cable step down. Keir Starmer’s St Pancras seat - will be won by the Greens, I predict, should he actually do the decent thing, and resign as an MP.

(10)
The EU will find the entire UK in contempt of EU law by performing an illegal hard brexit. UK hauliers tramping onto the mainland continent will be the victims of EU-wide shenanigans, such as fining any and all UK truckers for so much as walking on the cracks in the pavement… Loads will be empounded, and vehicles confiscated as well, which the UK will consider as an act of piracy, if not outright war.
Instead of retaliating against EU truckers over here in Britain, we offer an amnesty to EU citizens - and launch a trade war designed to bring down the EU establishment, and force through “regime change”, eventually leading to the break-up of the EU back into it’s member states with their own currency.

Mark Carney, incumbent governor of the Bank of England - will be fired by the first lord of the treasury, which will of course completely blindside him. He’ll be offered an amnesty to “go quietly”. If not - there are charges of industrial espionage, and assisting a hostile foreign power to consider. Brexit cannot complete - until Mark Carney is replaced at the Bank of England. Why? - He works for the EU and IMF rather than the UK and British Electorate - that’s why. Whilst I’d like to see Nigel Farage take over that position, realistically - Andrew Sentance is most likely to get the job.

The above text in blue are my opinions only. I don’t really know anything, and am just making some educated guesses based on what observations I’ve made these past 30 months since the referendum result came in.

Think I’m wrong? - Let’s hear your own opinions in as many areas as possible. I’d be fascinated to see the Left view on all this btw.

Corbyn has really dropped the ball this time around. May’s spiel - was designed to get past Keir Starmer - and NOT Corbyn, who can be got around by a teenager’s lazy lob…

Do you ever manage to bore yourself?

What have you been smoking?.. I want some.

Here’s my opinion - brexit cannot possibly happen & the political knobs will do exactly as their masters tell them to, which will be of no benefit to the working class! They (mp’s) are no more then actors… oh, & uk haulage will slide further into the ■■■■ whilst the number of registered licence holders goes up massively!!

Whatever happens - leave, stay or whatever else - be assured that it will be to the benefit of those at the very top and not those at the very bottom like the overwhelming majority of the public.

I think that a deal will finally come out of the back rooms in Brussels. They need us to stay at least semi-detached and a hard Brexit will be as bad for them as it would be for us in the short term. Post Brexit, I think we may well see a queue of Mediterranean countries wanting to follow suit and get out from the German Fourth Reich.

France, as ever, will give in to the mob on the streets and foreign businesses will be looking for a more friendly place to set up shop.

Haulage will happen; goods have to be moved or everyone starves. My guess is that there will be a lot more unaccompanied trailers on the ferries and long queues at the Tunnel, but, as always, truck drivers and operators will moan about it and then deal with whatever hand they are dealt. Plus ça change…

Winseer:

and finally

(10)

1 Probably still May

2 No and probably never in the true sense of the word

3 If Raab and Davis haven’t decided to resign their seats by now then who will and when

4 Irrelevant the pound has always been volatile ever since we became a banana republic with no bananas and no industry and bankers using the fluctuations as a never ending cash cow just like shares.

5 If that actually means article 50 will be extended or revoked yes.

6 As usual the retail distribution sector ?.

7 A lottery among those involved in container transport at least.

8 Why would wages move anywhere in view of the above and the fact that the industry remains crippled by ridiculous levels of industry specific taxation in the form of road fuel duty and VAT levied on that duty.Not to mention productivety limits in the form of vehicle gross weights and dimensions.

9 Not unless Davis at least shows some real decent principles by resigning from the Cons and standing as an independent or for UKIP.As for the rest it’s a remain parliament working to a machiavellian remainer agenda.What’s not to like from their point of view in the form of May clearly having steered Brexit onto the rocks of the choice between remain + or remain.

Who cares, nothing I can do about it and nobody would listen if I could

1. May will still be in place but her eventual replacement will be Sajid Javid.

2. Anyone’s guess.

3. It’s like musical chairs, the only dead cert to still be there is the Home Secretary so he can be shoe horned in due course into the PM’s job, to continue the Kalergi plan goes full steam ahead.

4. At first it will drop but later rally, long term it will rise when we eventually have to raise interest rates as the national debt goes well past £2000billion.

5. Yes the vote will have been taken at the last minute.

6. Own account operators will continue to do well they consolidate their strength by selling on service and product quality, not cost, Hire and Reward will continue to scrape a living.

7. Anyone’s guess.

8. Own account operators will carry on cherry picking, they already pay over the odds via agency anyway because they won’t accept just anyone, plus they take a number of the best agency drivers on every year, which the agency accept without issue due to the enhanced rates they trouser.

9. The present remainers threatening to resign won’t, it’s operation panic now so desperate are they to betray their country.

10. Once the Brexit farce is over, then lots of people could find themselves the subject of european arrest warrant, but they won’t be the establishment which looks after its own, they will be troublesome people who are likely to fight the next battle, fighting against those trying to force a re-entry into the EU and the next stage in Kalergi, the remainers will want known opposition out of the way.

Certain EU countries are starting to already start to lose their nerve on this ‘no more negotiation’ tabled by Brussels.

They are starting to realise that it’s not Brussels that will lose out on this but their own countries.
Also the UK has already committed to not putting a border in Ireland. It’s the EU that are insisting their has to be if a no deal brexit occurs. Dunno if they confirmed it yet but they have been very reluctant to say so far if they will actually put the wall up because the UK has already said it wont.

The only thing I feel confident about predicting is that we will be well and truly stitched up by the limp wristed hand wringers currently responsible for the so called negotiations, who consistently play to the EU’s strengths instead of their weaknesses.

If pushed, I’ll go on to say that the Germans will want more money off us so they dont get left with the ever increasing bill while offloading masses of cars on to us that they cant afford to retrofit effective anti pollution measures to.

The French also will want more money off us, while insisting on the right to keep flooding us with wine, cheese and skilled immigrants (ahem). They will also stick a knife in our backs at the slightest opportunity. So no change there then.

The Spanish will continue their practice of looting out fish stocks, ripping off expats by flogging them dodgy bungalows that havent had the proper bribes paid to the local bent politico’s. Sorry, I mean those built without planning permission. They will also get increasingly asrsey about Gib. Sometime within the next 20 years they will attempt to grab it back by force. The Royal Navy will be helpless to intervene as cuts in the recruiting process will mean a lack of all inclusive black, ginger haired left handed lesbian disabled crew persons. (they will all have been snapped up by the Biased Broadcasting Corporation anyhow)

It will be illegal for the large fleets of Eastern European trucks from 3.5 to 44 tonnes to operate in this country, but as they dont give a stuff about our laws anyway they will carry on as they always do, largely unaffected.

mac12:
Who cares, nothing I can do about it and nobody would listen if I could

Exactly. A bit despairing and defeatist but sums it up quite well.

TheUncaringCowboy:
Do you ever manage to bore yourself?

:laughing: :laughing:
+1

…and yet you still clicked on this thread to be bored yourselves? How does that work?

Stick some interesting speculations of your own up, and act like you’re actually good at mass-debating please, rather than ■■■■■■■■■■■■ for once. :neutral_face:

Juddian:

1. May will still be in place but her eventual replacement will be Sajid Javid.

2. Anyone’s guess.

3. It’s like musical chairs, the only dead cert to still be there is the Home Secretary so he can be shoe horned in due course into the PM’s job, to continue the Kalergi plan goes full steam ahead.

4. At first it will drop but later rally, long term it will rise when we eventually have to raise interest rates as the national debt goes well past £2000billion.

5. Yes the vote will have been taken at the last minute.

6. Own account operators will continue to do well they consolidate their strength by selling on service and product quality, not cost, Hire and Reward will continue to scrape a living.

7. Anyone’s guess.

8. Own account operators will carry on cherry picking, they already pay over the odds via agency anyway because they won’t accept just anyone, plus they take a number of the best agency drivers on every year, which the agency accept without issue due to the enhanced rates they trouser.

9. The present remainers threatening to resign won’t, it’s operation panic now so desperate are they to betray their country.

10. Once the Brexit farce is over, then lots of people could find themselves the subject of european arrest warrant, but they won’t be the establishment which looks after its own, they will be troublesome people who are likely to fight the next battle, fighting against those trying to force a re-entry into the EU and the next stage in Kalergi, the remainers will want known opposition out of the way.

Interesting about Javid… As leader, he might win over quite of a few of the Muslim vote from Labour as it stands.

What is puzzling - is why Boris Johnson seems to have rallied in the betting of late to be right up there as joint favorite now with Javid to “take over from May”…

I like your (8) notion that agencies will be busy distilling all the decent drivers out, and firms might pay the premium - just to save on the process of vetting their own staff otherwise.
It always made me laugh at agencies where they deemed me “not good enough” with my clean licence to get work at one of their fussy clients, but then stick some other bod in there with 6-9 points, only for him to smash the kit up within weeks of starting… “Plenty of Fish in the Sea” - is an argument that now applies to own-account drivers when looking at agencies - rather than the reverse, which was the case in the earlier part of this decade in particular. :bulb:

Winseer:
…and yet you still clicked on this thread to be bored yourselves? How does that work?

Stick some interesting speculations of your own up, and act like you’re actually good at mass-debating please, rather than ■■■■■■■■■■■■ for once. :neutral_face:

:laughing: youtu.be/vCCG2Z9LoVk

I’ll just add that the remoaners preteching that a brexit will result in the end times in the attempt of a second referendum are just making their own position worse.

adam277:
Certain EU countries are starting to already start to lose their nerve on this ‘no more negotiation’ tabled by Brussels.

They are starting to realise that it’s not Brussels that will lose out on this but their own countries.
Also the UK has already committed to not putting a border in Ireland. It’s the EU that are insisting their has to be if a no deal brexit occurs. Dunno if they confirmed it yet but they have been very reluctant to say so far if they will actually put the wall up because the UK has already said it wont.

I don’t think that’s quite correct, mate. Eire and Brussels have both said “no hard border”. The UK has also said no hard border. We also say no border tween NI and the mainland, and none tween Eire and the rest of the EU?
So, as we keep asking how do we seperate the UK, (NI) from the EU (Eire)?
UK equal with NI.
NI equal with Eire.
Eire equal with France.
France NOT equal with UK.

Answer that and you’ll win the Nobel Prize for Topography!

adam277:
I’ll just add that the remoaners preteching that a brexit will result in the end times in the attempt of a second referendum are just making their own position worse.

“When the Lamb opened the seventh seal - silence covered the sky”.

So what was in the box then?

“7 Trump-ets” - that’s what. :stuck_out_tongue:

Winseer:

adam277:

“When the Lamb opened the seventh seal - silence covered the sky”.

So what was in the box then?

“7 Trump-ets” - that’s what. :stuck_out_tongue:

Nah.
“Seven swans a-swimming”