Containers. *Warning contains Brexit*

If you’re fed up with Brexit look away now. This isn’t about the right/wrong debate either.
We do mostly Euro work but some UK backloads. Mostly tauts, no container work ourselves.
A lot of the export stuff we do is from countries outside of the EU. It arrives in containers from the US, South America, China and other places. It is deboxed, and warehoused in the UK. The companies we pull for then redistribute this stuff into Europe. All good for UK docks, container drivers, warehousing and Euro drivers.
One of our customers has it seems, renewal of lease on their premises up for renewal. They are now apparently intending to move into the EU mainland. If they need to cross the channel it’ll be a lesser number of trucks importing into the UK rather than larger numbers exporting. It would appear they won’t commit to a long lease when they simply don’t know what will be happening here over the next few years. The boxes going into EU will be more expensive to ship we’ve heard, but that is a known cost, not an unknown one.
Not a huge number of UK jobs lost, but that won’t please those affected.

I’ve mentioned no names as I can’t find any supporting news on the net yet. We do have another customer in similar position, so that’s worrying too.
The companies have head offices outside of the UK.
If they move out, and post Brexit life goes smoothly, will they go through the expense and upheaval of relocation to move back? If there is a significant operating cost saving they might?

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Our current government doesn’t contain Brexit, so you’re automatically excused for posting anything else that is preported to have brexit - but doesn’t. :unamused:

On that note, I’d like to state that there is some betting going on that Theresa May will be gone in the next 48 hours. :open_mouth:

Winseer:
On that note, I’d like to state that there is some betting going on that Theresa May will be gone in the next 48 hours. :open_mouth:

£20 she stays, because they’re all spineless ■■■■■ who couldn’t or won’t do the job anyway!

In answer to your last question, I suppose there’s a chance that they might if the UK can retain access to the Single Market via a Norway-type deal.
This was what Rees-Mogg was advocating both before and in the immediate aftermath of the Brexit vote.
It does however come at a price…their club, their rules and they set the subscription fee.

I reckon May deliberately threw away her majority last year - to bring the wider party into check.

No they “dare not remove her, for fear of triggering another election, which we know at present - the Tories would likely lose”.

Not entirely accurate, as the most likely result is Labour gain a handful more seats, the Tories lose a handful more, and either/or Libdems rebound a bit on behalf of Remain, whilst UKIP rebound a bit on behalf of Brexiteers.

If the Tories lose more seats than Labour gain - then it stands to reason that UKIP are likely to pick them up.
If Labour gain more seats than the Tories lose - then the Libdems and SNP will be paying the bill for the Tories not picking them up.

The betting seems to be that Mogg can trigger a no-confidence vote, and support Boris to be “crowned” as new PM. The price on Boris being next PM has shortened from 25-1 a month ago to 9-1 as of now.

GasGas:
In answer to your last question, I suppose there’s a chance that they might if the UK can retain access to the Single Market via a Norway-type deal.
This was what Rees-Mogg was advocating both before and in the immediate aftermath of the Brexit vote.
It does however come at a price…their club, their rules and they set the subscription fee.

It’s Canada +++ or “NO Deal” by this point.

“Norway” was pulled up at the last…

mardybum:

Winseer:

£20 she stays, because they’re all spineless [zb] who couldn’t or won’t do the job anyway!

^ This especially pretend Brexiteer Raab.

There won’t be any Brexit. May’s plan all along was to spend 2 years negotiating a deal, get a crap deal at the last moment which she knows ■■■■ well will never get through parliament and when it gets voted down she’ll say “well I did my best” and then give in to the 2nd referendum brigade, remain will win, article 50 will be revoked, we’ll stay in the EU and the arguments will go on for eternity. May and her useless government will be consigned to history at the next election and replaced by Corbyn and his even worse government and the country will be even more ■■■■■■ than project fear have been saying.

Winseer:
I reckon May deliberately threw away her majority last year - to bring the wider party into check.

No they “dare not remove her, for fear of triggering another election, which we know at present - the Tories would likely lose”.

Not entirely accurate, as the most likely result is Labour gain a handful more seats, the Tories lose a handful more, and either/or Libdems rebound a bit on behalf of Remain, whilst UKIP rebound a bit on behalf of Brexiteers.

If the Tories lose more seats than Labour gain - then it stands to reason that UKIP are likely to pick them up.
If Labour gain more seats than the Tories lose - then the Libdems and SNP will be paying the bill for the Tories not picking them up.

The betting seems to be that Mogg can trigger a no-confidence vote, and support Boris to be “crowned” as new PM. The price on Boris being next PM has shortened from 25-1 a month ago to 9-1 as of now.
Betfair Exchange | Best Odds Online, Back and Lay Betting

That seems like a good summary of the situation.

The only question is whether the turkeys (Tory MPs in marginal seats) would vote for Christmas.

Let’s get this right there are numerous existing container ports on the European mainland but we’re supposed to believe that loads of boxes are landed in UK that are destined for Euroland.That trade will now supposedly be threatened with the loss of all the supposed cross channel container traffic.Meanwhile in the real world how many containers ever run between UK-Euro using ferries and why would any Euro container shipper export or import via UK whether we’re in the EU or not. :unamused:

It’s even less believable than the need for a hundred foot high wall and machine gun posts built across Ireland.

As a question. How much unstuffing of containers in the UK is for onward shipments into the rest of the EU?
If it’s a messy Brexit, wouldn’t this work be at risk?
Any reliable figures out there?

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

The Cabinet “one-on-one” talks going on this morning…

Here’s the play TM might be making:

“Look guys and gals, you need to let this deal pass you so that mainstream Parliament can vote it down, like they all say they are going to do anyways. That way, and ONLY that way - can I force through a hard Brexit as a result of this deal being rejected by the vast majority of parliament at that stage, including yourselves for letting it reach the stage where “parliament gets their meaningful vote” - only possible if you wave it through NOW.”

Here’s the problem with this:

Libdems: 12 seats, 12 Remainers.
Labour: 262 seats, 249 Remainers.
Conservative: 318 seats, 160 Remainers.

This “cheqeurs deal” is nothing more than REMAIN with knobs on.

This so-called “We’re gonna reject it!” threat from wider parliament…

Guess what?

Once the Brexiteer about-to-be-fooled (maybe?) cabinet people wave it past them to the rest of Parliament to vote on…

421 Parliamentarians suddenly change their tune - and vote FOR the deal, including people like William Hague, who are chomping at the bit to get this passed onto the rest of the house of commons “for a meaningful vote”…

421 votes - is easily a majority vote for this REMAIN deal, and it will SHELVE any further attempts to kick-start Brexit before March 29th comes and goes - with “nothing happening”.
They will bite her hand off to pass this deal, and “cheqeurs” then detonates as the “overturning of Brexit” once and for all, never to be asked of the people again, and not even a general election called.

By then, it will be too late to save Brexit, and Theresa May has already decided that she’d rather serve the EU and Parliament and Herself rather than the People, the Conservative Party, and her Office.

I hope I’m wrong, but unless our Brexiteer heroes stand up and take one for the team one by one - I can’t see how May can survive another 48 hours in her job, if it all goes wrong for her, and her cabinet see right through it, and reject it out of hand so that Parliament does NOT get to overturn Brexit - ever. That would mean a Hard Brexit possibly as early as Christmas under a new Brexiteer PM of course.

Oh goody! The dream is still alive - but gasping for breath now… :open_mouth:

Margaret’s Falkland victory could be Tezzas Waterloo defeat

Tbh I hear this regarding every sector.

If everyone is gonna move to EU over this then wont a new UK based company just move in and undercut them?
I know companies don’t like uncertainty but it also presents opportunities so I suspect most will wait until any deal made is done before making any costly decisions.

Carryfast:
Let’s get this right there are numerous existing container ports on the European mainland but we’re supposed to believe that loads of boxes are landed in UK that are destined for Euroland.That trade will now supposedly be threatened with the loss of all the supposed cross channel container traffic.Meanwhile in the real world how many containers ever run between UK-Euro using ferries and why would any Euro container shipper export or import via UK whether we’re in the EU or not. :unamused:

It’s even less believable than the need for a hundred foot high wall and machine gun posts built across Ireland.

Can I suggest you read the OP again?

He’s saying the boxes are unstuffed in the UK and some of the contents is then shipped to the rest of the EU in normal trailers by British hauliers.

Brexit would be likely to reverse this process…ie the containers landed in the EU, and some of the contents shipped to the UK by foreign hauliers.

GasGas:
Can I suggest you read the OP again?

He’s saying the boxes are unstuffed in the UK and some of the contents is then shipped to the rest of the EU in normal trailers by British hauliers.

Brexit would be likely to reverse this process…ie the containers landed in the EU, and some of the contents shipped to the UK by foreign hauliers.

Yebbut without Brexit, once cabotage restrictions were removed there wouldn’t be such a thing as a British haulier.

wing-nut:
There won’t be any Brexit. May’s plan all along was to spend 2 years negotiating a deal, get a crap deal at the last moment which she knows ■■■■ well will never get through parliament and when it gets voted down she’ll say “well I did my best” and then give in to the 2nd referendum brigade, remain will win, article 50 will be revoked, we’ll stay in the EU and the arguments will go on for eternity. May and her useless government will be consigned to history at the next election and replaced by Corbyn and his even worse government and the country will be even more [zb] than project fear have been saying.

^ That’s closer to the Cons end game than Winseer’s Canada v No deal and the LibDems will probably surge on the remain vote at the expense of the Cons.To the point where a Cable/Starmer alliance is probably a bigger possibility than the Cons winning another election.Which ironically would suit the Con remainers like Clark and May better and has probably been May’s plan from the start.As for UKIP it has a mountain to climb in trying to turn the aggregate based Leave vote into a decent amount of seats in parliament.Make no mistake the next General Election will just be a rerun of the EU referendum vote which will be far more difficult for Leave to win.

When realistically the Brexit argument should have long ago evolved and moved on to Federal v Confederal Europe as opposed to bothering with the no hoper UK parliamentary electoral system and the resulting rabble it inevitably lumbers us with.As for Farage’s idea of so called ‘Brexit’.What has it got us other than a non binding referendum and ditched loads of UKIP MEP’s in the process in favour of handing the agenda to an in house alliance of LibDim/Lab/Con Euro Federalists like May,Starmer,and Cable.

Franglais:
As a question. How much unstuffing of containers in the UK is for onward shipments into the rest of the EU?
If it’s a messy Brexit, wouldn’t this work be at risk?
Any reliable figures out there?

Who needs such unbelievable figures when logic says that stuff bound to/from the Euro mainland to/from around the world doesn’t generally if ever go via the UK and why would it.On that note the annual cargo tonnage moved through Rotterdam and Le Havre is 440 million and 74 million tonnes respectively.While Marseille handles 85 million tonnes.Under what circumsatnces would shipping through a UK port be a better option.

No surprise you’ve now gone for the convenient but just as unbelievable scenario of container work being combined with UK Europe road transport operations because even Stevie Wonder could see that there’s obviously not many UK container operations which use UK ports for Euro container movements.Is there no end to the remainers illogical imagined non existent project fear scenarios.

Indeed…now we are out of the EU we will have no veto on cabotage within the EU…and the eastern nations in the EU may well demand that the UK opens its borders to their trucks in return to the UK having continued access to the single market for its financial services.

France and Germany took a stand against the cheap eastern hauliers by, for example, insisting that their drivers were paid at least the national minimum wage for the country they were driving in and stopping the taking of full-length weekend rests in the cab. Sadly, the UK didn’t give them the backing that it should have done.

Most of the things that went wrong between the EU and the UK were the responsibility of the UK…for instance there is free movement of labour in the EU, but the UK extended that to the free movement of benefit claimants to the UK.

Then the UK opened its borders to citizens of the Accession Nations before they had even joined the EU…the rest of the EU was restricting their borders even after those nations joined.

Both those things were done under New Labour…it was admitted that they wanted to attract the kind of people who would vote Labour to the UK.

Gerrymandering on a massive scale.