Bystander CPR

Evening all. An interesting article in the Daily Mail about women being less likely to get effective CPR if they collapse due to fears about being accused of assaults etc.

Would you stop and start giving chest compressions or even mouth to mouth to a woman on her own in the middle of nowhere? I’d be really reluctant to be honest, but really conflicted too. I’d ring the ambulance for certain but I can see it’s a difficult thing.

In my experience having lots of people around is even worse - no one will step in.

dailymail.co.uk/health/arti … rs-by.html

NelsonsCounty:
Evening all. An interesting article in the Daily Mail about women being less likely to get effective CPR if they collapse due to fears about being accused of assaults etc.

Would you stop and start giving chest compressions or even mouth to mouth to a woman on her own in the middle of nowhere? I’d be really reluctant to be honest, but really conflicted too. I’d ring the ambulance for certain but I can see it’s a difficult thing.

In my experience having lots of people around is even worse - no one will step in.

dailymail.co.uk/health/arti … rs-by.html

Bulldust…

The mail always spreads this right wing tosh…

If you are really frightened of helping someone in distress you need to have a word with yourself. Are you scared of women or something? We are all in this together, if you are that scared of helping anyone don’t go out alone mate.

If you think like this you need to sign the official register as a ■■■ pest.

Nobody goes to prison for helping someone in a crash who later dies, ■■■■ are just extra fat.

Just after 3am Boxing day morning last year I witnessed an accident where car came down the embankment, across 3 lanes of the M42 bounced off the barrier and stopped. By the time I processed it, stopped the truck and ran back there was a woman unconscious who given the accident and state of car I thought was dead until I found a pulse. She was wearing dressing gown over nightwear but if she hadn’t of had a pulse I was going to drag her out and start CPR. Never entered my head to be concerned about that sort of thing. Came up on one of my first aid courses and the guy said its nearly impossible to give cpr to a woman without “touching” but these days there is good protection for people attempting to be the “good Samaritan” if they are assisting after an accident.

Well according to this page on the American Heart Association fear of being accused of something could very well explain why women have worse outcomes, it’s not bulldust from the Fail at all:

newsroom.heart.org/news/two-nov … bystanders

newsroom.heart.org/news/men-more … than-women

I think with #MeToo etc it has meant men are more concerned over this. Look at this story from Japan from a few years back:

japantoday.com/category/nationa … trode-pads

He was free to go after questioning but why did it even go that far? Look don’t get me wrong I’m not a jibbering wreck of a man, but I think makes you think doesn’t it?

As a woman, if I’m having a heart attack and I need CPR, I’m not going to worry about you shifting my ■■■■■ around to get the best place to start chest compressions. Crack on, is all I can say.

its not only recently that men have been wrongly accused in scenarios like this.
sorry but i cant help adding this. :slight_smile:
youtube.com/watch?v=v30HUOx6SYk

Could imagine it being more of an issue in America although only for a small selection of the folks. Looks like they questioned 50 odd people which isnt too big a survey.

Bottom line is just like the Japan example, its possible some dickweed will make a complaint but in this situation the police will likely turn up with the ambulance so they can get the full wrath of the law directed at them (hopefully).

I believe in France, not assisting is actually an offence so not sure how #metoo works there.

I think Albion may have stolen the quote of 2018 award! :wink:

trevHCS:
Could imagine it being more of an issue in America although only for a small selection of the folks. Looks like they questioned 50 odd people which isnt too big a survey.

Bottom line is just like the Japan example, its possible some dickweed will make a complaint but in this situation the police will likely turn up with the ambulance so they can get the full wrath of the law directed at them (hopefully).

I believe in France, not assisting is actually an offence so not sure how #metoo works there.

I think Albion may have stolen the quote of 2018 award! :wink:

Firstly I think you’re onto a winner with your nomination for “Quote of the Year”!

The 2nd link show to the American Heart Association shows analysis of over 19,000 ‘out of hospital events’, so is probably substantive?
What I noticed, is that only 37% of victims seemed to receive bystander treatment at all! Irrespective of their ■■■.
I wonder if there is any indication of it being only males who are reluctant to touch a female casualty? Would it be less “awkward” for a female to assist a female?
It certainly shouldn’t be so of course.

There have been reputable studies where people in distress are less likely to be aided in crowded environments. It seems we assume that “someone else” will deal with it. Our personal responsibility may be diluted in a crowd.

There is the law in France:
“Non assistance à person en danger”.
A civil and criminal offence.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk