LSE

If the tyre man tells me I need a new tyre I believe him. If the workshop manager tells me I need new brakes, I believe him. They are the experts. But when we read experts opinions on Brexit we are disinclined to believe them? Why so?. eg

“A report by the London School of Economics suggests that food prices, notably prices of dairy products could rise and food supplies could become less secure if Britain leaves the EU under WTO trading arrangements.”

Optimum:
If the tyre man tells me I need a new tyre I believe him. If the workshop manager tells me I need new brakes, I believe him. They are the experts. But when we read experts opinions on Brexit we are disinclined to believe them? Why so?. eg

“A report by the London School of Economics suggests that food prices, notably prices of dairy products could rise and food supplies could become less secure if Britain leaves the EU under WTO trading arrangements.”

Because the tyre man and workshop manager is giving you a diagnosis and a remedy to an obvious problem and fault.
You answer your own question when you use the words ‘‘suggests’’ and ‘‘could’’,… in other words an opinion NOT a fact. :bulb:

If your tyre man had previously given you duff advice you wouldn’t trust them either. Look at what they said would happen just if we voted for brexit.

And whats the problem if food prices go up a bit? I have no problem with that. We are not exactly seeing people starving right now are we. An extra £20 a week on my shopping bill won’t make and difference to me.

The problem with experts is that as sammym says (we agree on something sammy!), is that they are often wrong. We were supposed to be £x worse off immediately after brexit with half a million added to the dole queue, when nothing like that has happened, in fact we have the lowest employment in 43 years. (Yes, argue about the quality of that employment, but that is a separate discussion).

I think people read what they want to read, so if you fancy something a bit different

economistsforfreetrade.com/ … oms-union/

Who is right, I don’t know and I guess that even the experts don’t actually know what will happen and the truth is mundanely that it’ll be a bit bad and a bit good. And most of us will just carry on as before. But that doesn’t sell papers, act as clickbait.

Any report like this has a bias built into it from whoever foots the bill.

He who pays the piper calls the tune

It’s not umcommon to have two reports on the same day, with findings that contradict each other, funded by opposite sides of the argument.

Oh, good stuff, Brexit again.
I’ll go and warm some paragraphs up… :unamused:

Carryfast!, calling Carryfast!, come in please! :unamused: :smiley:

Can of worms here!
Economics isn’t a hard science. It’s more akin to a social science. The same input can result in different outcomes.
If a meteorologist predicts a 75% chance of rain tomorrow, and the sun shines, wrong? The prediction may be accurate although you may find the result contrary.
You’re told a coin has a 50/50 chance of landing heads, and it lands tails. Were you mislead?

And for Albion: experts who are correct in predictions are seldom reported, we assume they are only doing their job. Aren’t those who get it wrong, victims of biased reporting?
Do you have any reports on the accuracy of reports?
:slight_smile:

Are reports biased according to who writes them, and who pays for them?
Can be so, of course. But good reports will show raw data and explain how conclusions are arrived at. Good reports are transparent. A half page report in The Sun, with a pun for a headline, under a photo of a bikini girl rarely meets this criteria!

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Stanley Knife:
It’s not umcommon to have two reports on the same day, with findings that contradict each other, funded by opposite sides of the argument.

I simply don’t believe that kind of thing goes on in politics, or the media or on here…

I have a poll to back myself up, just because I wrote the questions, picked who answered them and summarised the results is of no concern, it’s a balanced approval of my view…

Like I said franglais, I don’t think either extreme is right. If we Brexit, there’ll be a pragmatic middle road taken.

Accuracy is best predicted with hindsight!

The fatal flaw in thinking here (by both sides) is that all the situations are deterministic in the outcome. Let me try and explain:

I’m driving down the road and there is a sign saying there is a bridge which is 12ft height and I’m running at 14ft. It doesn’t mean I have to hit that bridge - it just means there could be a problem depending if I turn off before it or I turn around.

The economy is the same. My ‘company’ recently lost a contract with it’s biggest customer. So I went to the agencies and did a few assessments and got another gig sorted. The UK will do the same - if there will be problems with getting something we go to the world and get it elsewhere. Some things will be better some worst - but it will all work itself out.

I think it will be an exciting time for young entrepreneurs. Heading off to far distant lands and bringing back goods (on containers probably) to sell. Perhaps even see a bit of the super long distance trucking that Harry Monk reminisces about.

Insignificant things are being made significant by certain people in power who have a vested interest. The Irish boarder is simple. We say there is a border and then don’t have a single resource to guard it. I’ve not heard of any international treaty that says that is wrong. However, that solution isn’t on the table as it’s too easy and too convenient.

albion:
Like I said franglais, I don’t think either extreme is right. If we Brexit, there’ll be a pragmatic middle road taken.

If/When we Brexit, you’re right: the extreme cases will most probably be avoided.
But aren’t many predictions of disaster self defeating?
“Look out! You going to hit that wall!”
Swerve. Wall avoided. …

And again you’re right, predictions are the least reliable predictors!

I’ll suggest that excuses offered by some “failed experts”, to explain away those false predictions, beat Charles Dickens for inventiveness.
But Dickens did point to real underlying problems in his society and helped bring about improvements.

(Is that spinning off too tangentially? Even for Bully’s?)

Franglais:

albion:

If/When we Brexit, you’re right: the extreme cases will most probably be avoided.
Swerve. Wall avoided. …

I’ll suggest that excuses offered by some “failed experts”, to explain away those false predictions, beat Charles Dickens for inventiveness.
But Dickens did point to real underlying problems in his society and helped bring about improvements.

If you don’t serve to hit a wall, a crash is 100% guaranteed, you can determine what speed to hit it at. Brexit could take so many forms, we can only make a best guess.

Do you want to resurrect Dickens :laughing:

albion:

Franglais:

albion:

Swerve. Wall avoided. …

If you don’t serve to hit a wall, a crash is 100% guaranteed, you can determine what speed to hit it at. Brexit could take so many forms, we can only make a best guess.

Do you want to resurrect Dickens [emoji38]

I think that Dickins (even in his current state) has more vitality and a better contribution to make than some politicians.

(Supply your own candidates)
Sorry Dickens. Oops

sammym:
The fatal flaw in thinking here (by both sides) is that all the situations are deterministic in the outcome. Let me try and explain:

I’m driving down the road and there is a sign saying there is a bridge which is 12ft height and I’m running at 14ft. It doesn’t mean I have to hit that bridge - it just means there could be a problem depending if I turn off before it or I turn around.

The economy is the same. My ‘company’ recently lost a contract with it’s biggest customer. So I went to the agencies and did a few assessments and got another gig sorted. The UK will do the same - if there will be problems with getting something we go to the world and get it elsewhere. Some things will be better some worst - but it will all work itself out.

I think it will be an exciting time for young entrepreneurs. Heading off to far distant lands and bringing back goods (on containers probably) to sell. Perhaps even see a bit of the super long distance trucking that Harry Monk reminisces about.

Insignificant things are being made significant by certain people in power who have a vested interest. The Irish boarder is simple. We say there is a border and then don’t have a single resource to guard it. I’ve not heard of any international treaty that says that is wrong. However, that solution isn’t on the table as it’s too easy and too convenient.

Re the Irish border and an easy solution. How well do you understand the problem, to offer an easy fix?

What did Richard Feynman say about people’s comprehension of Quantum Theory?

Franglais:

sammym:

Re the Irish border and an easy solution. How well do you understand the problem, to offer an easy fix?

What did Richard Feynman say about people’s comprehension of Quantum Theory?

Having a lot of family in the south, growing up for a number of years in the north (when we still had armed soldiers on the school bus) and having good friends on both sides of the boarder - I know less than some and more than others.

Now tell me how a paper boarder would cause a problem? What international treaties are being breached. The eu would hate it - but wouldn’t finance a land boarder themselves so would have to live with it. A technical boarder if you will - much like my diesel being nicked was a technical crime. The police had no interest, I wasn’t going to risk myself to protect it and the company stomached it.