Copper + truncheon

anyone know if they still carry these? i can recall in the 70s there was a new baton type truncheon seem to recall each copper carried one?. why im asking is iv not seen one being used ever and why not? im sure i read somewhere that at closing time it was quite common to sort out trouble makers with a good old whack .

corij:
anyone know if they still carry these? i can recall in the 70s there was a new baton type truncheon seem to recall each copper carried one?. why im asking is iv not seen one being used ever and why not? im sure i read somewhere that at closing time it was quite common to sort out trouble makers with a good old whack .

These days they have steel ‘expanding batons’ ; Google that and you will see what these are. Basically they extend to about 2 feet long th and lock, but can be telescoped down to about 8 inches to fit in a pouch.
N.B. Not legal to carry unless you are a cop, so I don’t have one (Yet!)

Carry these now…
rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre … 2527146277

British Transport Policeman Wayne Marques managed to hold off 3 knife-wielding terrorists with one for a while…

Did you mean to log into thugnet?

youd think that over the years id have seen someone getting coshed into submission ,but i never have. iv seen folk arrested who hasnt and seen someone tasered . thats why i was posting about it . years ago i once bought a car and in the boot was a truncheon with a leather wrist?strap, im not sure thats any relevance kinda thinking i wish i still had it in my boot,with all these stabbings . then again ,if youre up against a knifeman is the truncheon a leveller

Don’t forget the ball rubbish!!!

Who remembers the rubber torches with the light at 90 degrees to the main body ■■ I do because I got smacked across the snout by an angry copper and he broke my nose, and yes I did behave after that …

Back when I did security in London I was given a truncheon by a copper from the SPG . It was one of the old time specials that had been drilled and filled with lead . The police at the time were just being issued with the side handled batton which many didn’t like as it was very ■■■■■■■■■■ when in vehicles .
It was illegal for me to have the truncheon and was also illegal for police use in its modified state . There was also stun version available ,
an early version of a tazer , a truncheon full of batteries and electronics with a pair on contacts on the end . Very illegal .
The early collapsible baton then started to appear but the weapon of choice seemed to be the D cell maglite .
Target areas were side of knees , elbows and top of arms / point of shoulder .
Nothing was much use against anybody on the latest drug of choice at that time , PCP , angel / space / moon dust . Chop their head off and the rest would still fight you . They felt no pain until the drug wore off .

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Many years ago I had a massive bee fly into my cab as I went around Highbury Corner heading up to the Holloway Rd, I stopped, pulled the handbrake on and bailed out sharpish. A Bobby came over to see WTF I was doing and I told him about the giant bee, he shook his head and asked me if I was taking the ■■■■, I told him that I was completely serious, as a Spurs fan there was no way I would set foot on that filthy ground unless it was absolutely necessary.

Anyway, he took his truncheon out of its holder and got in the cab to deal with the bee, only to jump back out a lot faster than he got in when he saw the size of the thing.

So the old bill in London carried truncheons around then, it was about 1986/7 as I remember the lorry I was driving at the time.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

I have a pre war truncheon in my cupboard , it belonged to my step father who was a special before and during the war . the thing is lethal , hard as iron you could knock nails in with it and it doesn’t mark the wood .If you copped a whack with that you would be down for the count . It’s probably why we respected the police then before the claim lawyers rendered them useless .

I have a pre war truncheon in my cupboard , it belonged to my step father who was a special before and during the war . the thing is lethal , hard as iron you could knock nails in with it and it doesn’t mark the wood .If you copped a whack with that you would be down for the count . It’s probably why we respected the police then before the claim lawyers rendered them useless .

rigsby:

Useless my Arse, In my younger days they were the best thing ever to sort out the Naughtey Boy Lot, I recall one evening at a local dance when a gang of lads from another area appeared in the dance hall where all & sundrie were enjoying themselves when these strangers started to get nasty, Withina few minutes the local Policeman appeared trungeon drawn & the whole lot of thses R.Soles were on the run, They vanished quicker than one could say it and it of course, Bu t its presence says it all, Im an old man now but I would gladley welcome it back , & hopefully sort some of the ■■■■■ we have today making things awfull for older folk as well as the young ones too. Sadley as see it things will only go from bad to worse, Regards Larry.