Uninsured cars

Was following a car transported 7.5t this morning carrying a brand new Merc. On the window was one of those 'Another uninsured driver… " sticker.

Got me thinking. If that owner failed to collect or pay the release fee, do they actually crush all uninsured unclaimed cars? Or do they have the right to auction them off?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

I think crushing was / is just in relation to no road tax seizures, otherwise after a certain time (may only be 14 days) vehicles will be disposed of, generally auctioned afaik.

njl:
I think crushing was / is just in relation to no road tax seizures, otherwise after a certain time (may only be 14 days) vehicles will be disposed of, generally auctioned afaik.

I think you’re correct. If vehicle not claimed and release charges paid it will be disposed of. Either auctioned off, or crushed if not of value.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

I was always under the impression that they were crushed. If auctioned off then who receives the money? Is it then profiting from the proceeds of crime? My understanding was that the same as seized illicit booze and ■■■■ they had to be seen to be destroyed to save any potential outcry over the money.

the maoster:
I was always under the impression that they were crushed. If auctioned off then who receives the money? Is it then profiting from the proceeds of crime? My understanding was that the same as seized illicit booze and ■■■■ they had to be seen to be destroyed to save any potential outcry over the money.

I’ve had a quick read on the subject, going on the source here

surrey.police.uk/policies-and-p … procedure/

Most of the way down the section ‘Disposal of Seized Vehicles’ -

It seems that the owner / registered keeper would receive monies left over from proceed of sale after costs for impounding and storage etc have been met.

the maoster:

A difference here may be that the price of booze and ■■■■ is mostly tax anyway? The stuff itself is pretty cheap so no point in flogging it off.
Just a thought.

Franglais:

the maoster:

A difference here may be that the price of booze and ■■■■ is mostly tax anyway? The stuff itself is pretty cheap so no point in flogging it off.
Just a thought.

many years ago I had a second cousin who worked on the clippers at Liverpool docks (customs officer ) . anyway his mother died and a group of us from this neck of the woods went down for the funeral . as the house was to be emptied we were all invited back and if there was anything we wanted just to take it. there was the usual buffet laid on and bottles of (all makes ) of spirits with the offer help your self and what you cant drink (drivers) take away with you . on a coffee table in the corner was a stack of packs of benson & hedges , again take some home if you smoke. when it was mentioned ,nudge nudge wink wink the reply was " it has to be destroyed/ disposed of and that’s what we are doing ………enjoy :smiley:

Barnsley council just crushed a Saab 95 that was used for fly tipping.

knight2:
Barnsley council just crushed a Saab 95 that was used for fly tipping.

Terrible.
Punishment is too harsh.
How else can flies make up their poor pay?

Sorry…

many years ago I had a second cousin who worked on the clippers at Liverpool docks (customs officer ) . anyway his mother died and a group of us from this neck of the woods went down for the funeral . as the house was to be emptied we were all invited back and if there was anything we wanted just to take it. there was the usual buffet laid on and bottles of (all makes ) of spirits with the offer help your self and what you cant drink (drivers) take away with you . on a coffee table in the corner was a stack of packs of benson & hedges , again take some home if you smoke. when it was mentioned ,nudge nudge wink wink the reply was " it has to be destroyed/ disposed of and that’s what we are doing ………enjoy :smiley:
[/quote]
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
they caught me with the usual booze and tobacco years ago and confiscated the lot.
40 cases of tobacco which was 8000 packets was marked down as 10
a pallet of cases of vodka was marked down as 20 cases
and i cant remember what they chopped the beer and wine down to.
it took a right good arguement with that wee scottish prick who was the head customs honcho at the time before they corrected the paperwork and let me have my campervan back as i said i had pic of all the stuff and would take the sheet to the newspaper to show the customs were stealing contraband which didnt go down well between the head dude and the pleb that done me.

Mates 30 year daughter passed her test 11 months ago and just bought her first car for £500 but cost her over £1000 to insure - no wonder so many are driving with no insurance !!

Most new cars siezed for no insurance are normally rentals/dodgy accident claim companies.
Cars being driven by people without being named on insurance.

I suspect they crush a few just for publicity then flog the rest at these police actions, although don’t think the police run them. Since they can claim assets for things like tax evation, then proceeds of crime likely doesn’t apply to gov depts.