hoodies

While I do/don’t sympathise/condemn Boris as he has clearly stated that he is/isn’t/is for/against brexit/remain, his anti burka comment could lead to a ban on face/identity obscuring headgear as is imposed in France and other counties.

I hope they do, would also stop the you’ffs wearing them, to hide there face,

Also full face, partially covering restrict your field of vision,

I’m 56…

Which takes me out of the ‘youff’ bracket. I have three ‘hoodies’ and wear them to work and when I’m out and about.

You might as well say everyone with frilly curtains in their truck is hiding something too.

I don’t really care much about the hoody but personally I think the burka should be banned, if you wear a burka you’re telling everyone that you wish to segregate yourself from the vast majority of UK society, if you want to wear a burka go and live in a country where it’s accepted as normal.

As far as Boris Johnson’s comments are concerned, I don’t see what people are getting upset about, the letter box comment, which appears to be the comment people are picking up on, was in my opinion a little childish and would only offend people who want to be offended.

Having said that I don’t know why anyone would be surprised about anything Boris Johnson says :smiley:

it could lead to a lot of embarrassing situations once your interacting with them.
looked what happened to me on holiday…

my mistake.jpg

I don’t have strong feelings either way re the burka or hoodie. What I do have strong feelings about is a distinctly unlevel playing field; if I were to walk into a petrol station/bank wearing a burka nothing would be said, if were to try the same wearing a motorcycle crash helmet all hell would let loose!

the maoster:
I don’t have strong feelings either way re the burka or hoodie. What I do have strong feelings about is a distinctly unlevel playing field; if I were to walk into a petrol station/bank wearing a burka nothing would be said, if were to try the same wearing a motorcycle crash helmet all hell would let loose!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

+1
penultimate post regarding that my good man.
wear a kkk outfit and your racist,wear a burka and its freedom of expression.
wear a balaclava in northern ireland and your dead or soon will be . :slight_smile:

Nope, no ban.

Let the world see how much some people hate everything about the west, presumably not the benefits though :unamused: , if someone looks like Darth Vader i know to avoid having anything to do with them just as they obviously want nothing to do with me.
Hopefully a future govt will put an opt out on my tax column, giving me the opportunity not to contribute to people who have no intention of integrating with nor respecting their host country.

Juddian:
Nope, no ban.

Let the world see how much some people hate everything about the west, presumably not the benefits though :unamused: , if someone looks like Darth Vader i know to avoid having anything to do with them just as they obviously want nothing to do with me.
Hopefully a future govt will put an opt out on my tax column, giving me the opportunity not to contribute to people who have no intention of integrating with nor respecting their host country.

To be fair it’s the ‘motivation’ behind it not the actual freedom of choice of clothing and expression.

youtube.com/watch?v=-xglNHPxpas

The radical Islamic Wahabbist/Salafist etc culture should be viewed and treated for what it is and not be imported here let alone allowed to practice its backward medieval practices on our streets.

A non issue blown out of proportion by the rags/24/7 news.

If people wanna walkabout in curtains let them.
I’m against banning stuff though.

I drive a motorcycle and I think it’s unfair I have to take my helmet off when filling up. I don’t think you should ban the burka though just for equality sake on my part though.

Everyone always wants to ban and outlaw stuff these days…

Edit I also hate how Boris is being labeled as a racist for these comments Islam is not a race…

Juddian:
Nope, no ban.

I agree with Boris, :open_mouth: No Ban, although I’m sure every word he wrote was carefully thought about and not off the cuff remarks. It’s all part of his plan and he his using his opponents furore over the article to get a step closer to leadership of the Conservative party and they’re too stupid to realise. :confused: As much as I’m not a fan of his I’m beginning to admire his guile and cunning.

Banning things because they don’t fit your closed minded view!
That’s the actions of those political organisations who want to police what we say what we think and what we do, regardless of our opinions, think about Grid Girls, (I often do :laughing: ) think about various people who’ve been “no platformed” at Universities because a small but vocal minority don’t agree with their views or even what they perceive is their views, as they are unlikely to have actually listened after they were triggered.

We’ll leave the Burka bans to those lovely tolerant Europeans, not us nasty racist British.
However that doesn’t mean we have to find them acceptable and not take the ■■■■, this Country has a history of religious satire from Chaucer to Rowen Atkinson and nobody should ban that.

The situation described by Maoster,above,was reported in a newspaper this morning.Occurred in Blackburn?

muckles:

You mean a closed minded view of the type of Islamo fascism that would tolerate beating or stoning women who refuse to wear a burqa among numerous other types of submission to Islam or else.You couldn’t make it up.

Carryfast:

muckles:

You mean a closed minded view of the type of Islamo fascism that would tolerate beating or stoning women who refuse to wear a burqa among numerous other types of submission to Islam or else.You couldn’t make it up.

Do they fit the profile of a closed mind?

muckles:

Carryfast:

muckles:

It’s obvious that the burqa among other examples is associated with medieval radical Islamic practices which are meant to subjugate women,often under the implicit if not all too real threat of violence and which therefore has no place within western society.IE either live here under the type of civilised cultural rules which applied in pre Islamic revolutionary Iran for example,or move to a radical Islamic country like Iran,Saudi or Pakistan etc.Calling that view ‘closed minded’ is obviously an oxymoron.

If you ban the Burkha (a religous symbol) then ban the Turban and the outfit that Orthodox Jews wear as they are both symbols of that peoples religion as well? In the fifties and sixties when I was growing up women were wearing the Burkha in Britain and although it looked strange to us there was never a big issue made about it. As usual it has been blown out of all proportion by the media because of one, (admittedly for somebody in Boris’s position), stupid comment and he should have known better really.

Pete.

Carryfast:

muckles:

Carryfast:

muckles:

It’s obvious that the burqa among other examples is associated with medieval radical Islamic practices which are meant to subjugate women,often under the implicit if not all too real threat of violence and which therefore has no place within western society.IE either live here under the type of civilised cultural rules which applied in pre Islamic revolutionary Iran for example,or move to a radical Islamic country like Iran,Saudi or Pakistan etc.Calling that view ‘closed minded’ is obviously an oxymoron.

So trying to cut through another one of your rants, are you saying forcing certain codes of dress on people has no place in a modern tolerant society?

windrush:
If you ban the Burkha (a religous symbol) then ban the Turban and the outfit that Orthodox Jews wear as they are both symbols of that peoples religion as well? In the fifties and sixties when I was growing up women were wearing the Burkha in Britain and although it looked strange to us there was never a big issue made about it. As usual it has been blown out of all proportion by the media because of one, (admittedly for somebody in Boris’s position), stupid comment and he should have known better really.

Pete.

The idea that the streets of 1960’s or even 70’s Britain were awash with Burqa wearing women or Saudi backed mosques is up there with the idea that the new or used car market was awash with punters looking for fwd BMC motors. :smiling_imp: :laughing: :laughing:

Feel free to post any contemporary photographic evidence to back the claim. :wink:

muckles:

Carryfast:

So trying to cut through another one of your rants, are you saying forcing certain codes of dress on people has no place in a modern tolerant society?

In the case of radical Islamic dress code and the obvious motivation behind it ( subjugation of women ) being enforced on UK streets yes.As I said if they want that then zb off to Iran or Saudi.

windrush:

Pete.

I think it’s been an issue in the media long before Boris said what he did, which was actually and article criticising Denmark for banning the Burka.

Also Boris knew exactly what he was saying and the furore it would cause, the backlash against him from the media and those protest groups was what he wanted and they’ve played right into his hands.