Military capacity

“…Meanwhile, Gen Sir Nick Carter, the new head of the armed forces, was asked on the Today programme about reports that the army was being put on standby for a no-deal Brexit - which could see troops help deliver food, medicines and fuel.”

Does the military still have a large capacity in terms of vehicles, organisation, drivers and manpower to do this job? I never see their vehicles and convoys on the road these days.

See them every day on the A1 near Catterick heading south

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Optimum:
“…Meanwhile, Gen Sir Nick Carter, the new head of the armed forces, was asked on the Today programme about reports that the army was being put on standby for a no-deal Brexit - which could see troops help deliver food, medicines and fuel.”

Does the military still have a large capacity in terms of vehicles, organisation, drivers and manpower to do this job? I never see their vehicles and convoys on the road these days.

When push comes to shove the military will all was come through even if they have to call on the reserves, every military vehicle in the MoD is tracked so they can call on all unit/regiments for vehicles and storage is no problem

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don’t remember anything like that needed before 1973.

Which then can only either translate,as in the remote possibility of remainer May being forced by Mogg etc into leaving the EU then she and her remainer rabble will retaliate by creating artificial chaos and declaring a state of emergency and imposing martial law on the country until she gets her way.

Or the EU will try to impose a pointless ‘blockade’ on any state intending to leave the zb pile. :unamused:

After the Good Friday agreement and more recently the cessation of hostilities in both Iraq and Afghanistan the military in the name of austerity launched major cutbacks in manning and equipment levels. Earlier in Whitehall a military spokesman went on record to say "well there’s only me and my mate Kev left in the army now, we do however have a Land Rover and a Green Goddess so we are more than ready to tackle head on any problems arising from a no deal Brexit.

Probably.

the maoster:
we do however have a Land Rover and a Green Goddess so we are more than ready to tackle head on any problems arising from a no deal Brexit.

Lets get this right.They are saying that the EU will put us under a blockade which will supposedly stop supplies of food,medicine and fuel which we are supposedly totally reliant on the EU for.While we’ve obviously got a situation of over supply among the civilian domestic logistics industry providers but which obviously makes no difference anyway if the stuff supposedly isn’t there to stock and move.In which case even if we had a situation of loads of redundancy in the forces Logistics providers that fixes any of that how when the problem isn’t one of logistics anyway.Really can’t believe how gullible the Brit public is regarding remainer May’s bs which is clearly a veiled threat to impose martial law on the country if we don’t back down and let her and the rest of the remainer scumbags get their way.

As for the forces surely we’d expect them to make a statement that they would defend the country’s decision to leave the EU,which includes the option of retaliation regarding any attempt by the EU to blockade the country,rather than playing along with May’s stupid games.

I can see it now, Army truck parks up overnight in a layby in Kent…

Nimby comes along nasally voice “You can’t ‘Fly-park’ that here move along you smelly vagrant!”…
Driver charges weapon “Pardon mate?”
Nimby “Uhh nothing, carry on, would you like a flask of tea or some sandwiches?”

:smiley:

During the firefighters strike (Top blokes every single one, richly deserving a pay rise and better conditions) I had the opportunity to watch a cyclist overtake me, on a slight hill, as I was heading to a chip pan fire in me Green Goddess, bells clanging,
:open_mouth: .

Carryfast:

Which then can only either translate,as in the remote possibility of remainer May being forced by Mogg etc into leaving the EU then she and her remainer rabble will retaliate by creating artificial chaos and declaring a state of emergency and imposing martial law on the country until she gets her way.

Or the EU will try to impose a pointless ‘blockade’ on any state intending to leave the zb pile. :unamused:

I’d have thought you’d remember that prior to 1973 we had a trade agreement with the Common Market (as it was) thanks to our membership of EFTA. Current EFTA members (such as Switzerland) also enjoy trade agreements with the EU (as it is now).

If we leave without agreement, then we won’t. It’s really very serious.

See below from the FTA:

FTA, the UK’s leading membership association representing the logistics industry, has warned the government’s Brexit negotiators to prioritise the negotiation of aviation and road access agreements with the European Union, if all traffic and trade between the UK and the Continent is to keep moving after 29 March 2019.

“Discussions on the future Customs arrangements between the UK and EU appear stalled, but the Government needs to move on and prioritise separate agreements on international road transport and aviation to allow truck and planes to keep moving between the UK and EU after Brexit," says James Hookham, Deputy Chief Executive of FTA, which speaks on behalf of more than 17,000 UK logistics businesses.

“Leaving the Single Market means an end to the automatic rights for trucks to drive and planes to fly between the UK and the EU27 countries. The UK will also lose automatic access to the flying rights contained in EU aviation agreements negotiated with other countries, including the USA.

“This will be catastrophic for businesses trading with the EU, regardless of the Customs and Border issues. Yet no decision has been made to provide the logistics sector with the reassurance we need that this matter is being dealt with so that the country can keep trading effectively in the event of a No Deal exit next March.

“Should the UK leave the EU without an agreed air deal, and with the country no longer part of the EU’s aviation partnership, planes from 44 countries around the world would not be legally permitted to arrive or depart from the UK. This could be disastrous for businesses of all sizes which rely on just in time deliveries via the UK’s airports which connect them to the rest of the world.

“To compound the problem further, without a road transportation deal, the UK could only have access to between 140 and 1,000 permits each day to allow British lorries to travel to and from the Continent. When you consider that up to 10,000 lorries pass through the Port of Dover alone daily, you can see that this number is woefully short of the required total. Without an agreement which facilitates frictionless movement of vehicles between the UK and Europe, there is a very real prospect of severe road delays on both sides of the Channel, and, ultimately, a significant threat to the UK’s complex supply chain on which we all rely, from both a business and a personal point of view.”

GasGas:

Carryfast:

I’d have thought you’d remember that prior to 1973 we had a trade agreement with the Common Market (as it was) thanks to our membership of EFTA. Current EFTA members (such as Switzerland) also enjoy trade agreements with the EU (as it is now).

If we leave without agreement, then we won’t. It’s really very serious.

See below from the FTA:

FTA, the UK’s leading membership association representing the logistics industry, has warned the government’s Brexit negotiators to prioritise the negotiation of aviation and road access agreements with the European Union, if all traffic and trade between the UK and the Continent is to keep moving after 29 March 2019.

“Discussions on the future Customs arrangements between the UK and EU appear stalled, but the Government needs to move on and prioritise separate agreements on international road transport and aviation to allow truck and planes to keep moving between the UK and EU after Brexit," says James Hookham, Deputy Chief Executive of FTA, which speaks on behalf of more than 17,000 UK logistics businesses.

“Leaving the Single Market means an end to the automatic rights for trucks to drive and planes to fly between the UK and the EU27 countries. The UK will also lose automatic access to the flying rights contained in EU aviation agreements negotiated with other countries, including the USA.

“This will be catastrophic for businesses trading with the EU, regardless of the Customs and Border issues. Yet no decision has been made to provide the logistics sector with the reassurance we need that this matter is being dealt with so that the country can keep trading effectively in the event of a No Deal exit next March.

“Should the UK leave the EU without an agreed air deal, and with the country no longer part of the EU’s aviation partnership, planes from 44 countries around the world would not be legally permitted to arrive or depart from the UK. This could be disastrous for businesses of all sizes which rely on just in time deliveries via the UK’s airports which connect them to the rest of the world.

“To compound the problem further, without a road transportation deal, the UK could only have access to between 140 and 1,000 permits each day to allow British lorries to travel to and from the Continent. When you consider that up to 10,000 lorries pass through the Port of Dover alone daily, you can see that this number is woefully short of the required total. Without an agreement which facilitates frictionless movement of vehicles between the UK and Europe, there is a very real prospect of severe road delays on both sides of the Channel, and, ultimately, a significant threat to the UK’s complex supply chain on which we all rely, from both a business and a personal point of view.”

Exactly what sovereignty did we have to give up and compromise on to trade with the ‘Common Market’ countries as a member of EFTA before 1973 ?.

If leaving the single market supposedly means no automatic right of access to EU27 roads then how do Iranian trucks get access to the EU ?.With the win win in our case that would obviously mean an end to East Euro third country operations here and therefore obviously more opportunities for UK hauliers in the UK-EU transport market as part of that.

As for Switzerland ‘enjoying’ trade agreements with the EU.You mean like the EU refusing to recognise a Swiss referendum vote to withdraw from EU immigration rules and then imposing them on the Swiss government against the will of its people using the blackmail of sovereignty for trade.

As for access to air transport routes exactly which part of the EU single market or any bs EU dictat is Japan or New Zealand a member of/subject to ? and if not by the FTA’s logic how does JAL or Air New Zealand fly anywhere within Europe or the USA or EU and how do US aircraft fly to/from Japan or for that matter how did BEA or BOAC fly within/over the ‘common market’ or to/from the USA before 1973 and Air France,Lufthansa and Pan Am and TWA get access to UK airspace ?.Here’s a clue it had and obviously still has zb all to do with EFTA or the EU. :unamused:

I think you are confusing leaving ‘with a deal’…under which current arrangements could continue, and leaving without one, in which case all current arrangements would no longer apply.

At the time of the referendum, there was no suggestion that we would leave without either making new agreements to cover international trade and travel or allowing the existing ones to stay in place while new agreements were negotiated.

No deal means just that…no agreement, and hence no international trade.

We produce about 60 % of the food we need to feed ourselves: 30 years ago that was 74 %.

If we exit without a deal, then the NFU reckon that by August 7 of next year, we’ll have run out of food.

There is scope to rebalance UK food production, by example taking out barley grown for brewing, malting and animal feed, and planting wheat for milling instead, but it’s already too late to do this. The crops which are being harvested now are the ones that will have to last us until next autumn.

Think about the recent panic when a few fat idiots couldn’t buy KFC…then magnify it by about a million times and you’ll get an idea of the times ahead if we do a no deal Brexit.

On air travel, as it’s not covered by WTO rules, it would just stop.

Here’s the Telegraph…which normally bangs the drum for Brexit

telegraph.co.uk/travel/news … -aviation/

and here’s another from a reputable source…

centreforaviation.com/analysis/ … nes-380522

Here’s a possible reason why many of the super-rich might want a no-deal Brexit, and are keen for poor people to go along with it

ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/b … rective_en

GasGas:
I.

There is scope to rebalance UK food production, by example taking out barley grown for brewing, malting and animal feed, and planting wheat for milling instead,

How dare you even suggest stopping the production of barley, my Famous Grouse depends on it … :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

GasGas:
I think you are confusing leaving ‘with a deal’…under which current arrangements could continue, and leaving without one, in which case all current arrangements would no longer apply.

At the time of the referendum, there was no suggestion that we would leave without either making new agreements to cover international trade and travel or allowing the existing ones to stay in place while new agreements were negotiated.

No deal means just that…no agreement, and hence no international trade.

We produce about 60 % of the food we need to feed ourselves: 30 years ago that was 74 %.

If we exit without a deal, then the NFU reckon that by August 7 of next year, we’ll have run out of food.

There is scope to rebalance UK food production, by example taking out barley grown for brewing, malting and animal feed, and planting wheat for milling instead, but it’s already too late to do this. The crops which are being harvested now are the ones that will have to last us until next autumn.

Think about the recent panic when a few fat idiots couldn’t buy KFC…then magnify it by about a million times and you’ll get an idea of the times ahead if we do a no deal Brexit.

On air travel, as it’s not covered by WTO rules, it would just stop.

Here’s the Telegraph…which normally bangs the drum for Brexit

telegraph.co.uk/travel/news … -aviation/

and here’s another from a reputable source…

centreforaviation.com/analysis/ … nes-380522

Here’s a possible reason why many of the super-rich might want a no-deal Brexit, and are keen for poor people to go along with it

ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/b … rective_en

Strange how the NFU are actually calling for a larger share of the domestic food market over unnecessary imports in that case.

You also seem to have ignored the inconvenient questions concerning how do Iranian trucks get access to the EU and how does Air New Zealand and JAL get access to Europe etc and what’s the difference between hard Brexit UK and Japan and New Zealand’s not to mention Iran’s position in that regard.

It’s all typical remainer project fear bs.As for moaning about the super rich elites supporting Brexit when you’ve got zb Blair and Cameron and Branson among others all on your side you couldn’t make it up. :unamused:

raymundo:

GasGas:
I.

There is scope to rebalance UK food production, by example taking out barley grown for brewing, malting and animal feed, and planting wheat for milling instead,

How dare you even suggest stopping the production of barley, my Famous Grouse depends on it … :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Oh wait.This doesn’t fit the the remainer script. :laughing:

cereals.ahdb.org.uk/exports/exp … arket.aspx

nfuonline.com/misc/press-cen … -campaign/

In all seriousness…a major export earner for GB plc outside of the EU is whisky. If we have to convert barley fields to wheat fields then that will impact on our whisky exports to Japan and the USA…assuming they will still import them post-Brexit.

Still, with Boris & Co in charge, what can possibly go wrong?

“If leaving the single market supposedly means no automatic right of access to EU27 roads then how do Iranian trucks get access to the EU ?”

They’ll have an ‘agreement’…or a ‘deal’ for the hard of thinking.

If we leave without a deal, Iranian trucks will have access to the EU’s roads, but ours won’t.

Still, Im sure everything will be fine. We’ve just got to trust the man in charge of negotiations to do a good job.

What’s that you say…oh, not even the Prime Minister who appointed him trusts him and has had to take over herself in an attempt to salvage something from the wreckage.

But apart from that, it’s fine. We’ve gone from £350 million extra a week for the NHS to cancelling police leave and mobilising the army…but I’m sure there’s nothing to worry about.

Carryfast:

raymundo:

GasGas:
I.

Oh wait.This doesn’t fit the the remainer script. :laughing:

cereals.ahdb.org.uk/exports/exp … arket.aspx

nfuonline.com/misc/press-cen … -campaign/

I think the NFU have changed their tune since 2013 my friend.

And as the AHDB link says, markets such as Spain and Portugal are important for British farming, (and will be closed to British growers in the event of a no deal Brexit).

So, it fits perfectly with my argument that no deal will be a disaster! Thanks for posting them.

GasGas:
“If leaving the single market supposedly means no automatic right of access to EU27 roads then how do Iranian trucks get access to the EU ?”

They’ll have an ‘agreement’…or a ‘deal’ for the hard of thinking.

If we leave without a deal, Iranian trucks will have access to the EU’s roads, but ours won’t.

Still, Im sure everything will be fine. We’ve just got to trust the man in charge of negotiations to do a good job.

What’s that you say…oh, not even the Prime Minister who appointed him trusts him and has had to take over herself in an attempt to salvage something from the wreckage.

But apart from that, it’s fine. We’ve gone from £350 million extra a week for the NHS to cancelling police leave and mobilising the army…but I’m sure there’s nothing to worry about.

So why can Iran,as a sovereign country obviously not part of nor subject to the rules of the EU single market,get a ‘deal’ but supposedly not Brits under exactly the same conditions ?.You also didn’t answer the question exactly what sovereignty did we have to compromise in that regard as a member of EFTA before 1973.On that note you do remember the requirement for bilateral quota permits and the advantageous position that created for the UK road transport industry compared to the East Euro free for all which applies now.Nor did you answer the question how do Japan and New Zealand as sovereign states just like pre 1973 and post Brexit UK get access to the EU and US airspace but we supposedly can’t.

No remainer May always had control of the agenda just as remainer Cameron intended.Which is why more than two years later we’re still an EU member state,with May having deliberately stalled and sabotaged Brexit,with the economy still subject to the austerity required to compensate for our massive EU contributions and trade deficit.

As for the NHS it’s obviously so much better,from your point of view,to go on giving the cash to the EU instead and the situation of Brit jobs for EU workers and having scumbags like Juncker and Tusk and their unelected Eurocrat elite cronies telling us what to do with the help of their UK puppets like Blair and May. :unamused:

Iran has got a deal because it is prepared to negotiate one with the EU. The ‘no deal’ faction in the Brexit camp don’t think we should have a deal with the EU because we shouldn’t negotiate with them.

Access to airspace for international journeys is again negotiated. The UK’s current access to international airspace has been negotiated through the EU. We have to do a deal where we can keep ‘our’ proportion of the EU’s allocation otherwise it could just be divied up between the remaining EU member states.

As a sole actor, it would be unlikely that the UK could negotiate a good deal internationally as it can as part of the EU. The new deals we may negotiate would probably see us having to give up better slots at Heathrow etc.

We have to get a deal with the EU…no deal = chaos.

GasGas:
Iran has got a deal because it is prepared to negotiate one with the EU. The ‘no deal’ faction in the Brexit camp don’t think we should have a deal with the EU because we shouldn’t negotiate with them.

Access to airspace for international journeys is again negotiated. The UK’s current access to international airspace has been negotiated through the EU. We have to do a deal where we can keep ‘our’ proportion of the EU’s allocation otherwise it could just be divied up between the remaining EU member states.

As a sole actor, it would be unlikely that the UK could negotiate a good deal internationally as it can as part of the EU. The new deals we may negotiate would probably see us having to give up better slots at Heathrow etc.

We have to get a deal with the EU…no deal = chaos.

We certainly are prepared to negotiate on exactly the same basis as Iran’s or Japan’s relationship.IE trade and access without strings related to sovereignty in any way shape or form.It’s the EU which is obviously applying double standards in that regard in applying the blackmail of sovereignty for trade.So I’ll ask you again why is it that Iranian trucks can have access to EU roads and the EU transport market without the need to compromise their sovereignty but Brits supposedly can’t ?.Or for that matter how does Air New Zealand get access to European airspace without the need to be subject to EU free movement rules or any other bs EU dictat but the Brits supposedly can’t ?.IE exactly what bs reason are you relying on as to why we supposedly can’t negotiate and have exactly the same access as them in exactly the same situation as them of being a totally sovereign non EU member state ?.

No surprise that so far you’ve avoided the question and just repeated the same old bs as your remainer mates like Blair.When it’s clear that any breakdown in negotiations is all about the EU’s intransigence not ours.In it being them who are obviously not prepared to accept the secession of any EU state,especially a tame cash cow like us,and applying discriminatory sanctions against us specifically accordingly to discourage us and any others.Supported by their Federalist quislings like you here who are then laughably blaming the Leave side for it.So zb em the only alternative is obviously then a case of if they really want a trade war then give the scumbags one.Which we can only win bearing in mind our 50 billion Euro trade deficit with Germany alone.The problem then obviously being that instead of that you know that you’ve got your remain plant May running the show to suit the remain agenda and you know it.Which is why your lot can get away with repeating your same old project fear bs based on nothing more than the sinister belligerent threats and posturing of the EU Federalist scum like Juncker etc that you obviously idolise. :unamused: