Sacked for having a sense of humour

What is this world coming to…

walesonline.co.uk/news/wale … s-14651081

:unamused:

An outcome anyone would expect, he brought the company into disrepute, equals gross misconduct.

Unusual way of sacking someone by email, though we only have one side of the story here and i suspect the email was just confirming what had been said at the final disciplinary hearing.

Assuming the bloke himself has contacted Walesonline :open_mouth: , in future mate when in hole best stop digging, now every decent employer in the district knows to avoid him like the plague.
Oh, and delete that faceache account too, it appears nothing much good comes of this type of social media.

And that is precisely what is wrong with the world!

Too many Princess Snowflakes in managerial positions.

It looks a bit ridiculous to sack the bloke for that but it would be interesting to know what was in the other Snapchat videos that he posted, as has been said we’ve only heard one side of the story.

But yes on the face of it the sacking is very over the top, especially as he’d agreed to take the videos down.

But after posting a series of Snapchat videos on Facebook, with the latest mocking supervisors for being lazy, Mr Rees found himself in a disciplinary hearing and was fired three days later.

On the evidence presented I’d think an appeal should be successful but management in large companies have a habit of sticking together rather than doing the right thing. Seems way out of proportion.

Juddian:
An outcome anyone would expect, he brought the company into disrepute, equals gross misconduct.

Why shouldn’t he be permitted to bring the company management into disrepute?

Or are workers also going to be given the right to sack management for, in workers’ view, bringing the company into disrepute?

Rjan:

Juddian:

Or are workers also going to be given the right to sack management for, in workers’ view, bringing the company into disrepute?

No no, absolutely right, he should be allowed to say exactly what he likes, ridicule the management, take the ■■■■ out of the boss’s daughter, anything at all and the more public it is the better.
Doing so comes under the heading ‘don’t bite the hand that feeds you’, and anyone doing so can expect the sack (and no references) to follow as night follows day.

If management publicly deliberately humiliates a company, their feet won’t touch the floor either.

Juddian:

Rjan:

Juddian:

No no, absolutely right, he should be allowed to say exactly what he likes, ridicule the management, take the ■■■■ out of the boss’s daughter, anything at all and the more public it is the better.
Doing so comes under the heading ‘don’t bite the hand that feeds you’, and anyone doing so can expect the sack (and no references) to follow as night follows day.

If management publicly deliberately humiliates a company, their feet won’t touch the floor either.

But like I say, what is good for the goose is good for the gander. Do workers get to be the arbiters of what is “disreputable” for the company, and do they get to sack management if they have brought the company or the workforce into disrepute, in the opinion of workers?

The management are not the “hand that feeds”. Workers are the hands that feed management.

I will say that obviously there could be things that go too far - you wouldn’t expect the boss’s daughter to be personally slandered, any more than you’d expect a boss to slander workers’ daughters - but simply making fun of business practices in general (and to be honest I couldn’t see how this video could be considered serious or even incisive) cannot be a legitimate reason to be sacked for “bringing the company into disrepute”. You’ve got another thing coming if you think most management cultures hold workers in high esteem.

Ironically, if the company stood to suffer at all from the video, then it has probably suffered even more now that the video has hit the headlines.

The video was boring .The attacks on the supervisors were probably about right .But one of his supervisors got arsey and took it further … An email sacking ? what cowards…
All In all ,a huge waste of everyones energy . .Including mine watching that drivel video :laughing:

tachograph:
It looks a bit ridiculous to sack the bloke for that but it would be interesting to know what was in the other Snapchat videos that he posted, as has been said we’ve only heard one side of the story.

But yes on the face of it the sacking is very over the top, especially as he’d agreed to take the videos down.

But after posting a series of Snapchat videos on Facebook, with the latest mocking supervisors for being lazy, Mr Rees found himself in a disciplinary hearing and was fired three days later.

I agree there is only one side here and the other videos are not there but having been involved in disciplinary action for social media issues companies take it extremely seriously.

He has brought the company into disrepute which would be enough in itself.

He has agreed to take the videos down but how many times have they been viewed or downloaded? Once something is on the net it is nearly impossible to get rid of. Its not just something he said in the canteen between “the company” the whole world can see it.

There is a very blurry line between “banter” and “harassment” but once it has gone online it is only ever going to be viewed as harassment.

We don’t know what his situation was already. Was he an idiot who had been warned before and ignored it? Or on formal action and this tipped over? I have known people sacked for “relatively minor” things but their previous conduct has left them on a final warning and the only step left is dismissal.

As said I think the email is confirmation of the meeting and outcome, not that he was actually sacked by it.

Finally to agree with Juddian I was management. The rules applied to me also and I know many managers who were disciplined for conduct issues. Personally if I did something that stupid I would be hoping they would let me resign rather than be sacked and I would be keeping very quiet about it

Gross misconduct. Goodbye.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The sadest part of the story is a grown man making stupid videos.