Some idiot reversed into my car and drove off!

Okay chaps silly question here but I’m generally unsure.

So I was parked in tesco carpark whilst I went shopping. When I returned to my car some one had reversed into my parked car and damaged the bumper, smashed the licence plate , paintwork and smashed my front headlight… The car radiator is damaged and the fan has a few blades missing.

I current have 2 years no claims (unprotected) and drive a 2015 seat leon TDI… If I claim on my own insurance would I loose that no claims and go back to the start…? Zero no claims and very high premiums in the almost thoasands of pounds mark?

I’ve been quoted about £800 for a new bumper, radiator, front grill, new licence plate and paint job!

Now my excess is £150 so £650 less but is it worth it? I was the innocent party here and some idiot hit my car and drove off. Is claiming on my Own insurance worse in the long run?

Thanks [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Make a claim to the motor insurers bureau who cover this type of scenario. Part of your premium finances the MIB.

Did you Ask tesco for cctv that day ?

Good luck with getting any help from Tesco, maybe put a notice on Tesco notice board as many shoppers are creatures of habit, £50 reward might help

Yep I asked tesco about cctc, apparently that particularly area of the carpark isn’t covered by tescos own CCTV… Also they made a point of saying it’s not actually their carpark and it belongs to the retail park… I haven’t yet called the carpark people but I doubt they would help me

You need to speak to your insurance company to find out as everyone’s T&Cs are different,on mine you don’t lose on the first claim but then lose 60% of your NCB if you claim again.

4yorks:
Yep I asked tesco about cctc, apparently that particularly area of the carpark isn’t covered by tescos own CCTV… Also they made a point of saying it’s not actually their carpark and it belongs to the retail park… I haven’t yet called the carpark people but I doubt they would help me

Ah yes ,There will probably be a cowboy private parking firm running the cctv ,So probably useless unless you over stayed 5 minutes …No help …

Even if you found the third party would you actually be able to claim off his/her insurance? I was always led to believe (in other words I cannot back this up with fact and can’t be arsed to Google it right now) that you were uninsured on private property and retail car parks came under private ground?

on private land with public access the RTA applies, therefore yes, he is insured.

qwakers:
on private land with public access the RTA applies, therefore yes, he is insured.

You can be prosecuted for drink driving, no insurance and no mot in a supermarket . You need that solicitor who went fishing in Dover [emoji12]

Wheel Nut:

qwakers:

You can be prosecuted for drink driving, no insurance and no mot in a supermarket . You need that solicitor who went fishing in Dover [emoji12]

You don’t need an MoT if your fishing dinghy is a new one.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Franglais:

Wheel Nut:

qwakers:

You don’t need an MoT if your fishing dinghy is a new one.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

That depends on the breaking strain.

I’d report it to the police as a failure to stop for starters, as your insurance might require this to consider not knocking out all your no claims. Police probably won’t be able to do much, but helps keep everything on the right side and occasionally they might be able to get CCTV, although it’s amazing how much supermarket CCTV isn’t working the day you need it.

This also covers you incase the other party at a later point suddenly claim you hit them and drove off. Yes insane, if a serving police officer can do this to me despite 6 other officers not being able to find evidence of a non existence accident, then other scumbags will try anything and you want to make sure you’re on the right side. If you get there first it’s a lot harder for them.

As for no claims, I would talk to your insurance company as you legally need to report it and you don’t have to make a claim. They’ll give you the advice about whether you can keep any of the NCD and whether they do a thing like Direct Line where they’ll cover car park drive off claims. They might even be able to get the CCTV which could mysteriously reappear via their legal dept.

My brother recently purchased an ex demo BMW and the following day it was damaged in a supermarket car park. No witnesses of course and no note left on his screen. Front end replaced plus one headlamp (headlamp alone was over a grand to replace) and he just claimed through his own insurance with protected no claims.

Pete.

Buy a dash cam m8 .

Punchy Dan:
Buy a dash cam m8 .

I have one Dan, Money well spent IMO, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:

Punchy Dan:
Buy a dash cam m8 .

Well I did think I’d read that it could record a bump when your not even in the motor ?

Lawrence Dunbar:

Punchy Dan:
Buy a dash cam m8 .

Not much good if someone smashes into the back of you though …

Punchy Dan:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Punchy Dan:
Buy a dash cam m8 .

Well I did think I’d read that it could record a bump when your not even in the motor ?

I’ve just had a new one Dan , even with the ignition off an impact will set it off on the battery and save the recording . Dave

raymundo:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Punchy Dan:
Buy a dash cam m8 .

Not much good if someone smashes into the back of you though …

Well the one I have came as a pair, I didnt fit the rear one as I didnt fancy where the cable would have to go, Regards Larry.