syria [Merged]

Winseer:
Isopropyl Alcohol is perhaps THE safest of the non-drinkable alchohols.

I couldn’t help bursting out laughing as I parsed this sentence. It left me wondering whether the correct interpretation was analogous to “sewage water is perhaps THE safest of the non-potable waters” (comically juxtaposing the amount of emphasis on its safety despite the punchline being that the thing is totally unsafe in its most usual capacity as a beverage), or whether it meant “isopropyl alcohol is perhaps THE safest of the alcohols, but distasteful as a beverage” (evoking the image of someone who knows far too much about swigging aftershave when he runs out of gin). :laughing: :laughing:

Then again, it’s been said I have a unique sense of humour… :laughing:

I have to suspect that we are now being “Price conditioned” to expect the announcement in the next few days that "There is no evidence of Chlroine being used (which Assad has, of course) but extensive evidence that Sarin has been used, albeit somewhere else in Syria, rather than Douma. Assad has already been inspected for Sarin, both possession (doesn’t have) and ability to manufacture (doesn’t have) or supplied from abroad (doesn’t have)

I think the narrative is already shifting. There were references tonight on Question Time to the fact that Assad had used chemical attacks on previous occasions (despite the fact that Assad has previously complied with the steps that the UN took in response).

I think as well there is often an assumption that dictators like Assad are similar to Hitler controlling all aspects of the war from his bunker, and that they have a well-ordered war machine (as is typical when a state conducts a foreign campaign).

For a regime like Assad’s that is fighting an internal war, and has remained in power by the skin of its teeth and has come back from the brink in such a bitter and messy civil war, I’d be surprised if there is such a degree of military control at the very top, and that there isn’t a risk of colonels or even much lower levels making autonomous decisions to use chemicals that have come into their possession, without their being any central direction or permission to do so.

Obviously, in such circumstances, it’s not even reasonable to blame Assad personally for his lack of control (either control and discipline over his own forces, or control over the weapons and caches that he had at the outset of the war) - because it is the disorder and general lack of control that is precisely his problem in Syria.