I didn’t know MAN did cruise ships

Following on from my thread a while back about not knowing MAN did vans, I was watching Mighty Ships on the Discovery channel recently, and it detailed the construction of the Norwegian Breakaway cruise ship. The four engines for the ship were built by MAN and weighed two hundred tons each.

I didn’t know MAN did marine engines. You learn something new every day !

F3EB25DD-F36A-406B-BD2C-379F02860F9E.jpeg

Rudolf Diesel worked for MAN SE long before trucks were even invented.

Started out as an iron works, got into the engineering sector and have pretty much made everything in their time.

AndieHyde:
Started out as an iron works, got into the engineering sector and have pretty much made everything in their time.

Including the engines for the WW1 and WW2 U Boat fleet.

I have no clue what they are, but these machines are also MAN, some forty-years old. Inside the northernmost fertilizer factory in the world at Glomfjord, Norway, where I’m working at right now

milodon:
I have no clue what they are, but these machines are also MAN, some forty-years old. Inside the northernmost fertilizer factory in the world at Glomfjord, Norway, where I’m working at right now

Its a high pressure steam turbine and altenator. Supplying the national grid with electricity.

Is your fertiliser plant making sulphuric acid by any chance?

AndieHyde:

milodon:

Its a high pressure steam turbine and altenator. Supplying the national grid with electricity.

. And I bet there is a boiler there too, burning sulphur to make acid also.
Strange the stuff we know about due to other careers, apart from driving!

Not quite.
The boiler will be fired with good old fossil fuels. During the process of turning sulfur (a yellow rock) in to acid (a clear liquid) it is turned into a gas that must be incinerated in a furnace which creates a lot of “waste” heat. This heat is captured by converting it in to steam and fed in to the steam turbine and made into electricty.

I have done 3 annual shutdowns at a similar plant and to give a perspective of how hot these things are, it takes 9 days and 100000 litres of diesel to get the furnace up to temperature.

Energy can not be created or destroyed, it can only be converted. But it is an insight to how hungry the world will be when we run out of oil.

AndieHyde:

It is inside the acid plant yes.

A pair of 500BHP MAN V12’s ran the transmitter for Radio Caroline when she was at sea. I do have a film of it the remaining one running when we started it for the first time in 14 years, last year…

Twoninety88:
A pair of 500BHP MAN V12’s ran the transmitter for Radio Caroline when she was at sea. I do have a film of it the remaining one running when we started it for the first time in 14 years, last year…

When the weather was good and we were passing I used to drop of a few essential supplies to Caroline after the Marine Offences Bill came into force …

You old devil :slight_smile: flouting the Marine Offences Act, which made it an offence to use a British ship for broadcasting in British waters, OR to supply anything for use in offshore radio!

They make printing presses as well

Twoninety88:
You old devil :slight_smile: flouting the Marine Offences Act, which made it an offence to use a British ship for broadcasting in British waters, OR to supply anything for use in offshore radio!

Knew that full well but didn’t give a toss then or now and would do the same again, but Bradwell is not that far from the Co-op in Maldon … :slight_smile:

Cant remember the name of the ship I had that had a MAN main engine and auxilleries, only knew that because it said so on the engine controls on the bridge, had two engineers and a grease monkey so I never needed to go down the engine room and didn’t want too either … noisy smelly places :slight_smile:

Jeez, imagine how big the steering wheel would be in one of them bloody things!

citycat:
Following on from my thread a while back about not knowing MAN did vans, I was watching Mighty Ships on the Discovery channel recently, and it detailed the construction of the Norwegian Breakaway cruise ship. The four engines for the ship were built by MAN and weighed two hundred tons each.

I didn’t know MAN did marine engines. You learn something new every day !

Is that the same engine as in OVLOV JAYs new truck? Thatll bring a smile to his face! :smiley:

the maoster:
Jeez, imagine how big the steering wheel would be in one of them bloody things!

About the same size as the truck ones… in fact it’s probably ship steering wheels they’ve repurposed for trucks! :laughing:

MAN Engines had a place in Colchester.

I used to deliver to them.

Carryfast:

AndieHyde:

^^^^^^^^^^^^
watch about 5 hours of das boot and you can smell the warm diesel :slight_smile:

dieseldog999:

Carryfast:

AndieHyde:

^^^^^^^^^^^^
watch about 5 hours of das boot and you can smell the warm diesel :slight_smile:

And one of the very best films ever made…