Jailed for hate speech or dangerous precedent?

Some views on it from well known people.

Does the court case make this song taken out of context of the film a hate crime?

My personal view on it is it probably wasn’t the brightest thing to do or the best bit of comedy, but really is this what gets somebody put into prison? Will comedians now have to not joke about anything?

Should I get all offended and complain about any comedian who makes jokes about Norfolk people being inbred and having extra fingers and webbed feet?

Why didn’t they jail the pug?

Just confirms to the normal world out there what a laughing stock the UK has become, the only problem is that we who have to live with this crock of shush you know what have to check first to see if it would be ‘appropriate’ to laugh.

Freight Dog:

Not really bothered, :open_mouth: this whole thread is just an excuse to post a show tune. :laughing:

muckles:

Freight Dog:

Not really bothered, :open_mouth: this whole thread is just an excuse to post a show tune. :laughing:

That pug should be doing time. Hard time

Didn’t have you down as a song and floorshow man :laughing: ? Jazz hands!

I’m highly offended with how the Jewish community have hijacked the holocaust to promote their victim status. The Nazis also murdered; Soviet POWs, gypsies, homosexuals, people with disability and political opponents amongst others. These groups are rarely mentioned.

For those who are interested, my grandparents fit into the political opponents group. They saw their associates start to disappear and fled.

Captain Caveman 76:
I’m highly offended with how the Jewish community have hijacked the holocaust to promote their victim status. The Nazis also murdered; Soviet POWs, gypsies, homosexuals, people with disability and political opponents amongst others. These groups are rarely mentioned.

For those who are interested, my grandparents fit into the political opponents group. They saw their associates start to disappear and fled.

Totally agree it’s misrepresented. But would you say it’s the Jewish community themselves or society as a whole that’s perpetuated it on their behalf? I don’t know the answer myself. Do agree it’s totally lop sided though.

The most offensive thing in the Independent article is calling David Baddiel a comedian :unamused:

The video may have been ill thought out but it was clearly intended as a joke, at the start of the video he explains that the video is made to wind up his girl friend who thinks the dog is adorable, he trained the dog to salute to the words “siek hail” not “gas the Jews” but in the video kept saying “gas the Jews”, some people may think it’s a joke in bad taste, but it was clearly intended as joke nonetheless.

You can see the video here

By the way, unless I missed something he hasn’t been jailed, he’s due in court for sentencing in April.

Before anyone reports this post for containing a link to what some people claim is an offensive video, bear in mind it’s posted purely so people can make up their own minds as to whether the video was offensive or not.

tachograph:
Before anyone reports this post for containing a link to what some people claim is an offensive video, bear in mind it’s posted purely so people can make up their own minds as to whether the video was offensive or not.

It’s a sad state of affairs that you even have to write this disclaimer. It’s a sad state of affairs that this was an issue in the first place, it’s a dog raising his paw to a sound. The bloke saying something to do with the holocaust. But it’s a joke. Bad taste? Maybe if you were in the holocaust or your family were. But then you’ve probably bigger fish to fry. I wasn’t and don’t know anyone who was.

Someone making a joke doesn’t suddenly make me view the events of WW2 any less gravely. I think most adults are capable of this. Those that find offence are either creating drama for the sake of attention, or if they actually are offended (and were not involved in the holocaust) are suggesting they’re so infantily minded that a joke might make them view the holocaust differently, and therefore others.

Freight Dog:

Captain Caveman 76:

Totally agree it’s misrepresented. But would you say it’s the Jewish community themselves or society as a whole that’s perpetuated it on their behalf? I don’t know the answer myself. Do agree it’s totally lop sided though.

I don’t know where it’s come from, you’d need someone who knows more about this subject than I do to answer that. I do sometimes feel that history has been rewritten so that only the Jewish community suffered, and that does a disservice to the 7 million non Jewish who also died. But again, I don’t know who/what the driving force behind it is.

Freight Dog:

muckles:

Freight Dog:

That pug should be doing time. Hard time

Didn’t have you down as a song and floorshow man :laughing: ? Jazz hands!

Yep I’m a bit worried, I spend all day imagining senarios where everybody around will suddenly break into a song and dance. :laughing:

Captain Caveman 76:

I think the suffering of the Jewish people got promoted because of the many influential Jews in the media and film industry.
How many US films show a Jewish wedding or Bar Mitzvah as part of normal wealthy people living a normal life.

We commemorate the holocaust, but seem to forget the millions killed by Stalin, or killed by Pol Pot, or in Rwanda. There are far too many atrocities in even recent history, but the focus is very much on one event.

man after my own heart with a dog like that.
i think thats just normal humor and amusing.
i had my english bull terrier do exactly the same anytime i said sieg to him,i said that,he lifted his front leg and then i said heil and he got a treat.
it was repeated all of the poor sods 9 years till he died.
never had a problem with anyone who heard or saw it,not that it would have made any difference to me if they complained or not.
darent say anymore or then inevitable ban will follow,but once again,the white indigenous dude gets crucified.

Freight Dog:

:laughing:

He would have been shot by ze Germans because he didn’t klick his heels together with the salute.While some say almost the entire stock of Alsatians was wiped out under suspicion of working for the French resistance because they couldn’t learn to do that. :smiling_imp:

Seriously it was obviously the offensive wording of the command let alone posting it,not the good laugh of what the dog was trained to do,that’s the problem. :bulb:

Which part of Glasgow is this dog from…The Goebbels?
:laughing:

Freight Dog:

He was only obeying orders!

muckles:

Captain Caveman 76:

I think the suffering of the Jewish people got promoted because of the many influential Jews in the media and film industry.
How many US films show a Jewish wedding or Bar Mitzvah as part of normal wealthy people living a normal life.

We commemorate the holocaust, but seem to forget the millions killed by Stalin, or killed by Pol Pot, or in Rwanda. There are far too many atrocities in even recent history, but the focus is very much on one event.

I think the Holocaust commands most attention because of the premeditated and industrial scale and methods of slaughtering a specific group on nothing more than prejudice. The other events are no less dreadful though. Turks and Armenians could be on the list if it actually happened but according to the Turks it’s fiction. The EU wants Turkey as a member but refuses to hold their feet to the fire on this issue.

Imo that guy is just a complete dumbass ■■■■ whit.
Ok the dog doing the ■■■■ salute after a Sieg Heil command is bloody funny. :laughing:
Using ''Gas the Jews as a prompter? Hmmm .Not so sure.
However whether he should be prosecuted for it, I’m not sure either, but tbh I would have thought his evident level of intelligence should disqualify him from it. :bulb:

I like a joke as much as anybody, but I’ve visited Auschwitz, and the stories of women and kids being gassed, babies chucked in on the people’s heads as the chambers were full, kids still alive chucked in the furnace, subject for a joke? …this guy is a total prick but with an amusing dog. :smiley:

robroy:
Imo that guy is just a complete dumbass [zb] whit.
Ok the dog doing the ■■■■ salute after a Sieg Heil command is bloody funny. :laughing:
Using ''Gas the Jews as a prompter? Hmmm .Not so sure.
However whether he should be prosecuted for it, I’m not sure either, but tbh I would have thought his evident level of intelligence should disqualify him from it. :bulb:

He should be prosecuted for crossing the line but a prison sentence just for being bleedin stupid seems counterproductive for all concerned.It’s a classic case for a sentence of unpaid work in the community in the hope that it might make him come to his senses.If he doesn’t learn from it after that then the courts obviously have the option to take that into account next time. :bulb:

TiredAndEmotional:

muckles:

Captain Caveman 76:

I think the Holocaust commands most attention because of the premeditated and industrial scale and methods of slaughtering a specific group on nothing more than prejudice. The other events are no less dreadful though. Turks and Armenians could be on the list if it actually happened but according to the Turks it’s fiction. The EU wants Turkey as a member but refuses to hold their feet to the fire on this issue.

Trying not to turn this into my despot was worse than yours, because as you say they were all dreadful acts against vast section of people.
Stalin set out quotas of people to be arrested and executed for treason for local officials to meet, if they didn’t meet them Stalin would have them arrested on the belief that they must be part of a plot to overthrow him, so many totally innocent people were executed just because the quotas must be met.
Pol Pot wanted to start a new society, year zero or something like that; the rational for those to be executed was pretty much a calculated process and the process was pretty much on an industrial scale.
Although one of the things I’ve found particularly chilling about how the ■■■■ regime went about the holocaust, was how ordinary the people who sanctioned it were in their pre ■■■■ party existence.
Personally I wonder if the prominence of the Holocaust is as much to do with the fact we heard about it and when it came out the perpetrators were the enemy we’d been at war with for many years, Russia’s was hidden behind the iron curtain and had been our allies and Cambodia was a long way from us and a very different society than the West.
The other thing that worries about what’s happening today is that groups on both political extremes are playing identity politics and it not much of a step from bundling members of society into a group to deciding that group should be targeted merely because of a particular trait.