More Police tractor units on the way

21 March 2018

New ‘supercab’ tackling dangerous driving in Midlands

· More than 600 driver offences recorded in first two years in the West Midlands
· New unmarked cab now set to patrol motorway network

A new HGV ‘supercab’ is taking to Midlands roads as part of a unique initiative to tackle dangerous driving on England’s motorways and major A roads.

Highways England has announced plans to fund three new unmarked HGV cabs, including one based in the Midlands, after a single one used by police forces across the country was used to help catch over 4,000 dangerous drivers in its first two years.

The new cab will patrol motorways and main trunk roads and has been fitted with wide-angle cameras to capture unsafe driving behaviour. It also has a derestricted speed limiter which means it can travel at speeds up to the national speed limit, and flashing lights have been installed for use by police forces in an emergency.

The cabs allow police officers to film evidence of unsafe driving behaviour by pulling up alongside vehicles. Drivers are then pulled over by police cars following behind.

The launch comes a year after the government doubled the penalty for drivers caught using their phones at the wheel. Motorists now receive 6 points on their licence and a £200 fine – up from the previous 3 points and £100 fine.
Image removed by sender. Supercab 3

Richard Leonard, Highways England’s Head of Road Safety, said:

“This is all about improving safety on Midlands roads. Highways England has been funding a single cab for the past couple of years and we’ve been impressed with the impact it’s had. Over 4,000 dangerous drivers have been pulled over, with police action ranging from verbal warnings to prosecutions.

“We’ve found that the vast majority of drivers are sensible behind the wheel but a few have got into bad habits, or are simply ignoring the law and putting themselves and others at risk.

“We’ve therefore decided to fund two extra unmarked HGV cabs, including one based with police forces in the Midlands, to continue to target dangerous driving on England’s motorways and major A roads, improving safety for everyone.”

In total, 28 police forces across England have taken part in the HGV cab safety initiative since it began in April 2015, pulling over 4,176 drivers in relation to 5,039 offences in its first two years.

In the West Midlands, 576 drivers were pulled over in relation to 634 offences.

More than 300 of the drivers who were stopped in the West Midlands were illegally using a mobile phone while driving, despite the latest statistics showing that mobile phone use is a factor in an average of two deaths on the roads every month.

More details about the law on mobile phone use are available at www.gov.uk/using-mobile-phones-when-driving-the-law.
Ends

NOTES TO EDITORS

Highways England is the government-owned company responsible for modernising, maintaining and operating England’s motorways and major A roads.

Real-time traffic information for England’s motorways and major A roads is available via its website ( www.highways.gov.uk/twitter.

Issued by Highways England.

Kerching!

To be honest I don’t think Anyone really cares.
There to busy watching the prat in front on his phone than what plod is doing in a super duper tractor unit .
It not even news

Next

What about coach drivers then…?

Puts things into perspective when listening to Vine’s R2 show today.
Emergency 999 calls taking up to a month in some cases for a Police response. :open_mouth:
Excuse was undermaning,… yeh because they’re poncing around in a ■■■■ tractor unit. :unamused:
■■■■ Mars Bar/coffee Police…all they’re ■■■■ good for. :smiling_imp:
Ask Beaver he knows. :laughing:
(That reminds me…are we still allowed to criticise the Old Bill :neutral_face: :smiley: )

I was behind a police car on the M6 the other day. He would speed up to well over 80 (no blues and two’s), to get up to a bunch of cars, slow down to 65-70 for a bit, then speed off again at over 80. He did this repeatedly. He later pulled some lads in a little focus.

If he were anyone else, he would have been done for speeding and dodgy driving !

Considering the standard of driving in their cars - i wonder how well they will drive the trucks !

And on a side note - figures show that they are costing the tax payer thousands in recovery costs because they keep putting the wrong fuel type in their police vehicles !!

I wonder if they know that you can hook a trailer onto the back and do something useful.

Eric Rambler:
I wonder if they know that you can hook a trailer onto the back and do something useful.

Yeh they put 40’ trailers in lay bys (thus taking a space up) advertising the fact that they KNOW it’s a Truckcrime hot spot area, and to take responsibility yourself for it as they are too busy. (aka Can’t be arsed)
It saves them doing any actual ‘‘PROPER POLICING’’ :bulb:

robroy:

Eric Rambler:

Yeh they put 40’ trailers in lay bys (thus taking a space up) advertising the fact that they KNOW it’s a Truckcrime hot spot area, and to take responsibility yourself for it as they are too busy. (aka Can’t be arsed)
It saves them doing any actual ‘‘PROPER POLICING’’ :bulb:

A total waste of tax payers money, What the ■■■■ do they expect to achieve, Ive watched them on TV, Even if they get money from fines, I doubt it would cover the cost of the whole opperation, Plus if drivers have been naughtey boys, So ■■■■■■■ what, They are out there to earn a living, Plus some of the R,Soles at their delivery points who dont know the arse from their elbow who unload or load these motors, Who IMO Dont give a ■■■■ about the job, They are the ones IMO Who should have to smarten up, Well thats what I think & firmly belive , Ive driven motors from the 50s, It was bad then ,But now its worse & as far as can see it wont get any better, Im off to the Club for a few Single Malts, Regards Larry.

I must be the only old age pensioner wagon driver who thinks like this , Surely the must be some one out there has some serious thoughts on this matter, Regards Larry.

Certainly you’re not Larry.
There must be real competition for that job among the coppers. Tool around all day, never even get out of the vehicle, well apart from the regulation visits to McDonald’s, and never having to even speak to, never mind confront the nasty men. Heaven!
I shudder to think of what chaos the Wombles will be able to cause if they get to buy some as well.
But I can’t understand why they need to spend the extra money to have 3 axle, air suspended,top of the line tractors. Surely a nice, million mile, Ford D1000 would do just as well?
David

David Miller:
Certainly you’re not Larry.
There must be real competition for that job among the coppers. Tool around all day, never even get out of the vehicle, well apart from the regulation visits to McDonald’s, and never having to even speak to, never mind confront the nasty men. Heaven!
I shudder to think of what chaos the Wombles will be able to cause if they get to buy some as well.
But I can’t understand why they need to spend the extra money to have 3 axle, air suspended,top of the line tractors. Surely a nice, million mile, Ford D1000 would do just as well?
David

Hi David, I think an old clapped out 30s, Bedford would have been better for them, Of course the ■■■■■ that drive these modern day motors Have a good job & when they retire they will most likeley have a bonnansa pension to see them good when they retire, Regards Larry.

I wouldn’t mind a job driving one of these about…

“Overzealous” would be the understatement of the year of course! :smiling_imp:

Ive read a article on the new speed limit rules, And as I can remember in the old days there was a 10% allowance, But the law is now being changed , So if a driver is doing 1 MPH Above the speed limit in force he will be done for speeding, What about speedo accrucey, If Im correct speedos dont allways show the correct speed plus tyre wear must be concidered where true speed readings are concerend, More ■■■■■■■■ for drivers to put up with, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:
Ive read a article on the new speed limit rules, And as I can remember in the old days there was a 10% allowance, But the law is now being changed , So if a driver is doing 1 MPH Above the speed limit in force he will be done for speeding, What about speedo accrucey, If Im correct speedos dont allways show the correct speed plus tyre wear must be concidered where true speed readings are concerend, More [zb] for drivers to put up with, Regards Larry.

I think that speedos will always read higher rather than lower.
So anyone going over the limit will have a reading of above the limit.
Check any speedo, car or truck, against a satnav type reading, and the car truck will always be higher.

OK, we may have tried to squeeze a bit more out by making allowances for inaccuracy, over-reading etc, but that’s about to end it seems.
Just because we’ve “got away with it” previously, doesn’t mean it’ll continue.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk