Made to take a new tenant contract out

Hi lads and lasses.
We currently rent off Centrick property and as of the 28th of this month out of our 12 month contract.theres a clause in the contract that says it automatically goes to a month by month contract,the 12 month contract states must give 2 months notice of leaving.
Rang the pointy ■■■■■ in the office to say as we are out of contract we are are vacating as we have found somewhere else,he said its a rolling contract with no end date,right said I then why do you charge £110 every 12 months to take a new 12 months contract out if it hasn’t got an end date on it? Errr that’s the way it is he said yeah right.
He said you can go but are still liable for 2 months rent council tax etc,how can they make someone take a month by month if I don’t want it? Spoke to our new letting agents they said its a con by the sound of it,off to the solicitors in the morning.
Anyone else had this?

Jeff.

Essentially, once you’re out of your 12 months contract, you give 2 months notice. It’s better (IMO) than another 12 month contract.
You give notice, or they give you notice. Either way, not giving notice isn’t going to help you.
I’d be wary of what one agent says about another agent, fees or otherwise.

Dav1d:
Essentially, once you’re out of your 12 months contract, you give 2 months notice. It’s better (IMO) than another 12 month contract.
You give notice, or they give you notice. Either way, not giving notice isn’t going to help you.
I’d be wary of what one agent says about another agent, fees or otherwise.

Did you have to give 2 months deposit at the start whatever you gave that’s the notice

We gave 1 1/2 months deposit at the start,have been into Centrick today they said they aren’t moving on it,so looks like we could be moving out end of this month and they aren’t getting the keys back till the 9th of may if we have to pay 2 months rent (£970) to get out the contract.
They said as you hadn’t said you are moving within the final month of our 12 month contract they assumed we are staying and put us on a monthly contract with 2 months notice to which I said we also hadn’t said we was staying which we have until the 28th to say either way.
Don’t see how as after march its a monthly contract but have to give 2 months notice.