American school deputy bottles it?

.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-43164634
Did he bottle it ? I’d say he did and I wonder how bad he’s feeling now.

It’s the easiest thing in the world to judge another man after the fact, and the world is full of people who’ll say things like “I’d have killed him if I’d had a gun” . The simple truth is that none of us knows how we would react when the bullets are heading our way unless we’ve been there.

As a soldier in the 80’s and one of “Maggie private army” (that’s the whole of the British army btw) I’ve been at both ends of bullets and trust me it is trouser soiling terrifying, and that’s to a trained soldier never mind a cop/security guard.

It’s a difficult thing to pull the trigger on another human for the first time. The second time is even harder.

He has been sacked but I bet he feels better about that than living with himself for shooting a 19 year old with mental illness

bald bloke:

I’d say he’s feeling pretty bad having been labeled a coward by brave journalists and as we all know the pen is mightier than the sword…

bald bloke:

It certainly smacks of cowardice and we can all crack a wry smile, but in truth he should never have been put in that position in the first place, of being expected on his own with a single handgun to tackle an unknown foe (or number of foes) armed with at least one assault rifle and no other intelligence about the situation.

If he had employed standard tactics of sweeping and clearing the building in a defensive fashion, on his own he may not even have caught up to the assailant. And he probably had no access to standard body armour or regular tactical training. If he had caught up to the assailant he may simply have been counted amongst the other fatalities, or have caused fatalities himself amongst the crowd of students, possibly both.

I don’t think he will be judged harshly in hindsight - on the logic that too much was expected of his role, I think his resignation from it settles the matter.

It doesn’t smack of cowardice to me, the only smile I have is watching Trump make himself look uncaring and incapable