Most pointless things on cars

Ok this is a rant…
Just bought a new car, not my choice of car, the wife wanted it, its a SUV cross over pretending to be a real car but isn’t
I can forgive the 1 litre 3 cylinder engine because its turbo’d so is a bit peppy once you get the revs up

what I cant forgive is some one thought its a good idea that as you turn the steering wheel it will illuminate in that direction- yes it has a light that will turn on as you turn the wheel.

I am pretty sure that I don’t need a light to show me where the kerb is . If I don’t. I shouldn’t be driving.

Whats worse there is no way of turning it off its got to be one of the most pointless things ever fitted to a car as standard

1 roll of black insulating tape or a steering wheel glove…job done. :wink:

Day light running lights that only light the front what a waste of time

nick2008:
Day light running lights that only light the front what a waste of time

Ive often wondered that…why not just have all side lights come on and full headlamps with just 1 turn of the dial? And…why do these super bright DRLs dim when you turn the sidelights on? As for those static cornering lamps as mentioned by Rikki, mine has these (Mondeo TXS) and after driving the wife’s old nail (Fiesta) which doesn’t, I’d rather have them, especially round the country lanes…some people drive cars and with adaptive front lights and don’t even realise it!

automatic lights and wipers, the day i can’t tell if its dark or raining i’ll mince down the nick and hand me own licence in

drl’s, ok so a bit brighter side lights wouldn’t go amiss, but some of these things are blinding, and are they getting increasingly camp or what, ditto the wavy weird rear lights

whilst on the subject of lights, why just because someone has rested their foot slightly on (Mercedes i’m looking at you here) the brakes, does there have to be 5 million watts of ultra bright red leds immediately searing your retinas, if they did but know it these far too bright lights are making their car more vulnerable to being hit up the arse, because you cannot tell the rate of deceleration involved nor see anything in the field due to being blinded by these things, the ultimate bling fail

huge wheels with rubber band tyres, not only do you feel every blemish on the road, they cost a fortune unless you buy rubbish tyres, they are easily damaged as are the wheels and they’re useless in the snow, and when fitted to vehicles such as proper 4x4’s that should have loads of rubber around a sensible wheel they look awful

i have every sympathy with anyone forced to suffer these new cars when they would rather have something else, there is not one car currently sold in Britain i would want to buy, if they aint ■■■■ ugly they’re even uglier still

The ‘ding’ when the outside temp goes down to 4 degrees

Rikki-UK:
Ok this is a rant…
Just bought a new car, not my choice of car, the wife wanted it, its a SUV cross over pretending to be a real car but isn’t
I can forgive the 1 litre 3 cylinder engine because its turbo’d so is a bit peppy once you get the revs up

what I cant forgive is some one thought its a good idea that as you turn the steering wheel it will illuminate in that direction- yes it has a light that will turn on as you turn the wheel.

I am pretty sure that I don’t need a light to show me where the kerb is . If I don’t. I shouldn’t be driving.

Whats worse there is no way of turning it off its got to be one of the most pointless things ever fitted to a car as standard

I live out in the sticks, and find the corner lights useful when maneuvering. No reason they should work above 20mph though, and no reason they shouldn`t have an option to be turned off. Could they not be turned off in the main computer by the dealer when in for service?

I do question the idea of “scrolling” indicators.
When a light flashes up brightly straight away, surely that`s more noticeable than a light that illuminates gradually?
Surely a plain on/off is more noticeable than a scrolling light??
Fashion before function unfortunately.

Juddian:
automatic lights and wipers, the day i can’t tell if its dark or raining i’ll mince down the nick and hand me own licence in

drl’s, ok so a bit brighter side lights wouldn’t go amiss, but some of these things are blinding, and are they getting increasingly camp or what, ditto the wavy weird rear lights

whilst on the subject of lights, why just because someone has rested their foot slightly on (Mercedes i’m looking at you here) the brakes, does there have to be 5 million watts of ultra bright red leds immediately searing your retinas, if they did but know it these far too bright lights are making their car more vulnerable to being hit up the arse, because you cannot tell the rate of deceleration involved nor see anything in the field due to being blinded by these things, the ultimate bling fail

huge wheels with rubber band tyres, not only do you feel every blemish on the road, they cost a fortune unless you buy rubbish tyres, they are easily damaged as are the wheels and they’re useless in the snow, and when fitted to vehicles such as proper 4x4’s that should have loads of rubber around a sensible wheel they look awful

i have every sympathy with anyone forced to suffer these new cars when they would rather have something else, there is not one car currently sold in Britain i would want to buy, if they aint ■■■■ ugly they’re even uglier still

With regard to the “blinding brake lights” of the Merc’s, i’ve found this with the Audi’s too. Far,far too bright and very annoying!

Car drivers these days are,Well I cant say want I want to say, But most of them drive on their brakes , And drive in a straight line when on roundabouts plus a lot of them using their mobile phones. Where I live which is very close to two schools the parents collecting their kids have no concideration for the residents like myself who need access to our homes all the time, Some of these persons who cause all these problems dont give a toss IMO, Regards Larry.

Indicators…judging by the amount of drivers who can’t use them correctly.

My Merc will tell me when I should take a break with a message on the screen, again bloody germans telling me what I should and should not do … Just remember who won the war KRAUT !!! :slight_smile:

DonutUK:
Indicators…judging by the amount of drivers who can’t use them at all .

Modern video dash boards that require you to scroll through a list of options to pick a radio station instead of quickly pressing a pre-set button. This means you have to take your eyes off the road for far longer than is safe as the display invariably requires you to scroll through more than one screen before you reach the radio page.
Regarding headlamps, my car has active headlamps that automatically dip the beam & turn slightly on sharp bends & I love 'em

I’ve got a merc (oh get me :smiley: )and it has DRLs on the front and the amount of times I’m sat behind people and they start to turn their fog lights on and off in a attempt to inform me that I have my front fog lights on is getting boring now,they ain’t fog lights and I can’t turn them off :smiley:

All these plastic 4x4s bug me. They’re never going to see anything more off road than Sainsbury’s car park, and that’s for the best because that’s about their limit. So why buy one? You may as well get a tattoo on your forehead saying “I wish I had a ■■■■■”.

I like the headlights that light the paths up, especially in the countryside, automatic dip is good too, you can try to beat the lights, plus it makes you look further than your bonnet

On my car when you turn the wheel either way a light will come on to lightup the blindspot, quite handy realy especially in the dark … :slight_smile:

Dunno about pointless but IMHO outright dangerous:

I didn’t know until a couple of days ago that (some but we know others will follow) new cars with lane departure warning can interfere with the steering to joggle the vehicle back on the track the cars says you should be on :open_mouth:
Between that and automatic braking they can stick these new cars up their jacksies.
If i want to drive up a tree i’ll bloody well point it mesen.

The most pointless thing really is where they put head light and tail light bulbs .
Gone is the day you pulled off a rubber sock pulled off the connector pinched the wire spring clip that held the bulb in place all with easy access .
Now you need to take half the car apart :unamused: