Final chance in DFS furniture sale

I’m on holiday, so spending my time watching morning TV. …

I thought that adverts had to be truthful? Enhanced maybe, economic perhaps, but I thought outright lying was not allowed?

So how can DFS get away with their permanent ‘last change’, 'final reduction ‘, ’ lowest price ever’ sale adverts, which run on a permanent basis.?

I think it’s a theme of furniture shops, Oak Furniture Land, Harvey’s etc do it and MFI in the past were on sale until they did finally ended with a closing down sale. :wink:

mrginge:
I think it’s a theme of furniture shops, Oak Furniture Land, Harvey’s etc do it and MFI in the past were on sale until they did finally ended with a closing down sale. :wink:

I know it is, but how do they get away with it?
Just idle musings. I think I’ve been off work for to long… :grimacing:

Thanks for letting me know…better get down there pronto!

I brought a sofa from dfs in a sale but have never seen at any other price . They get around it by raising the price for a week or two in a store in the north of Scotland or somewhere else out of the way.

I’ve been watching a bit of daytime telly recently, don’t see to many DFS adverts, :open_mouth: but plenty for funeral plans, (maybe something to do with the demographic of the channels I’m watching, no point buying a new 3 piece suite as your going to die soon, so pay for your funeral in advance :frowning: ) and one that comes on all the time is the Card of Vanquish, which quite frankly has some serious production values for a 30 second commercial for a credit card nobody’s heard of, cast of thousands in period costume, seems to be filmed on location and a Scouse Lord of the Castle. :laughing:

They get away with it because what is in the sales changes from week to week/month to month.

The answer is to trust none of them with their sales gimmicks…for example a Sofa in the sale is £399.99…after the sale it goes back to £900…maybe more…so if they can afford to drop their prices by less than half, that means theyre losing money…are buying in very cheap…or have been ripping us all off for a number of years…after all, there is only so much profit in an item !!

I`ll wait for the closing Down sale and grab a bargin

the nodding donkey:
I’m on holiday, so spending my time watching morning TV. …

I thought that adverts had to be truthful? Enhanced maybe, economic perhaps, but I thought outright lying was not allowed?

So how can DFS get away with their permanent ‘last change’, 'final reduction ‘, ’ lowest price ever’ sale adverts, which run on a permanent basis.?

They do the same in their stores in Spain. We sometimes shop on the same retail park (Carrefour Hypermarket), DFS Costa Mijas always has a ‘sale’ on. What they do is up the price for two weeks in other less used outlets and then pronounce 50% or whatever off.

When Herbert Hardy, a local businessman, started DFS at Darley Dale near Matlock he couldn’t sell furniture on a Sunday due to the trading laws back then. He got around it by selling fruit and veg, you paid (say) £200 for a bunch of carrots and got a free bed with them! :wink:

Pete.

Well, I’ll be 70 in September & I can’t remember a time when DFS didn’t have a sale on!

As said above,they can legally call it a sale if the product has been on sale at the higher price somewhere in a store for more than 14 days in the last 6 months.
So they plonk it instore for £999 for 2 weeks then are free to advertise it at the “sale” price of £399…ridiculous really.