Driver shortage

Not the usual.
I think the problem will be when the current DCPC expires . Like many mine expires in September '19 .
I hear through the forums that many will not continue when their current DCPC expires.
My ADR expires this month and I had always maintained that I wouldn’t be renewing it . It has not given me much extra work just more aggravation.
The DCPC I was in two minds about but due to health reasons the decision is out of my hands as I won’t be driving anything commercial if I drive at all.
Is the DCPC renewal going to affect your decision to continue in the HGV world ?

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

You’ll find that 99% of those who say they ain’t renewing it also include 98.9% of the people that said they’d never get the dcpc in the first place.
They’ll renew it unless as you say health or age reasons deem it not worth it.

I’m afraid all the B.s Propaganda we see about “Hgv Driver shortages” (Spread by liars tbh) .Will keep training firms and haulage firms going for as long as they are needed .
Most ageing truckers I know now drive vans for pin money .
The shortage is a vile myth to over supply and decrease demand .And we all know what that means…

It all comes down to wages for alot of people. My place pays £10.40 day rate for class 1 and up to 15h days yet the other side of the business van drivers are on over £9ph doing 10h shifts and home every night.

I personally don’t believe we’ve a shortage. ■■■■ wages, long hours and poor conditions like in services ECT… Are the reason people have had enough. The job used to pay well I’m told all the time at my place with some taking home 1k a week now ya lucky to take home £600.

The jobs changed and from all I hear it’s gone to ■■■■.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

None of mine are, but I pay for it, do it Monday to Friday so they get paid and put them in a hotel with expenses. No reason not to do it.

I do think it’s a pile of crap though.

I’m new to this forum & post. Here goes my my rant on the current so called shortage …

I’ve been cards-in & self employed with several transport companies (northwest based) over the last 29 years C1 experience (national & international)
November 2019 is for me possibly the end of the journey.
The current rates (£ notes) is nowhere near as decent as I’ve pulled, as it was in the mid 90s - early part of the millennium.

I’m currently self - employed, between 2 companies, 1 runs national only logistics & the other is reefer temp controlled throughout the northern territories of France, Belg, Holland etc (company names not provided).
The weeks between jan - feb has seen my regulars - loads drop off.
So I decided to go via the agency route (have used several over the years, a few decent, many not so!) depends on the individuals & how to assert yourself, although agencies in my opinion are to many therefore leading to them exploiting drivers (if allowed) and the rates being carved.

As for the claim ‘Drivers Shortage’ Nope, the issue isn’t a shortage drivers, the industry is lacking in decent rates/pay.

Recently I put my feelers out & had a bite back with an offer of C1 night trunking - out from the dizzy heights of North Manchester ST 22:00 (12hr exptd) The rate £10.25
… CRIMINAL. My reply.

For any individuals thinking of climbing into this industry (the expense) conditions etc etc
I’d say; think again.

It’s not personal - it’s how to let the other person know - it’s just not acceptable !