Sounds like carnage today!

Just seen reports on BBC news of multiple incidents, bad weather and delays everywhere!! Glad I am not working today!!

For those that are working, take care and stay safe. Better to be late and in one piece than to rush about and not get there!! For those that have been involved in incidents, hope there are no serious injuries!!

A bit of snow and everything goes ■■■■ up. Its a joke.

When does it get so bad, that people actually prepare for winter. Reported 7cm is nothing, weve been getting that every day for the past few weeks. We just crack on, if you carried on regardless as most in the uk seem to be doing, youd be nobbled by the police and be un insured.

Stay at home if your on summer tyres, you have no hope.

I agree that it is a joke, look at all these other countries that get loads and loads of snow and they still manage to operate, roads are clear, runways are clear, yet a bit of snow in this country and the jobs knackered!!!

Interesting you mention tyres Jim.

I wonder how many lorry drivers have decent suitable tyres on their cars, their cars also suitably winter prepared or of a design that can go anywhere :bulb:

Yet their lorries, in which they have no say are of a design type, ie almost all mid lifts instead of at least a smattering of rear tag tractors which could be routed where necessary, and fitted with (recut and unsuited to the cold) drive axle tyres that struggle to get the thing moving on even a slightly damp road without transferring air.

Those of us in full time work are still being paid whatever happens, let the large companies who don’t prepare either their vehicles premises or approach roads carry on shooting themselves in the foot :smiling_imp: .

Claretmac:
I agree that it is a joke, look at all these other countries that get loads and loads of snow and they still manage to operate, roads are clear, runways are clear, yet a bit of snow in this country and the jobs knackered!!!

Because those countries get it every year and have the money and infrastructure in place.
You’d moan like a little ■■■■■ if you legally had to have and store a set of proper winter tyres to fit for the two days every 10 years we actually get snow.

It’s raining here…luckily my car has rain tyres fitted.
Designed to disperse large amounts of water.

109LWB:

Claretmac:

Because those countries get it every year and have the money and infrastructure in place.
You’d moan like a little ■■■■■ if you legally had to have and store a set of proper winter tyres to fit for the two days every 10 years we actually get snow.

If people slowed down it would help. I drove past 4 accidents on my way back and the number of cars flying past was crazy.

I agree regards winter tyres but I have got some all season cross climate on my car. The difference is huge. I think they should be mandatory for winter and you can run them all year round. Want “summer tyres” then you have to store them

It’s not cold enough for winter tyres

commonrail:
It’s not cold enough for winter tyres

These are all season that you can run all year round. Not full on winter tyres but they are far better than the normal “summer” tyres on my girlfriends car

Never actually seen a “summer tyre”
Do you mean those semi slick type things…fitted to performance cars?

commonrail:
Never actually seen a “summer tyre”
Do you mean those semi slick type things…fitted to performance cars?

No. The “average” car tyre will be classed as a “summer” tyre.

You have full winter ones designed for the more extreme weather.

There is a middle ground classed as “all/4 season”. Not full on winter but has different rubber compound to provide better grip in lower temperatures. A halfway house so to speak. Most also meet the winter tyre requirements if you were to go over to Europe.

An all rounder then.
Seems the sensible option,considering our climate.

commonrail:
An all rounder then.

Yes. If you know someone who has some ask them for a try. The difference is huge

I drive a 4x4

commonrail:
I drive a 4x4

Still need the tyres to grip the road. Though you hopefully have good tyres anyway

In the 11 years i’ve owned it,it has never lost traction…either on the o/e Michelin synchrome tyres or the uni royal rain tyres it now has.

commonrail:
It’s raining here…luckily my car has round tyres fitted.
Designed to disperse large amounts of water.

FTFY

As for winter tyres, it needs to be 7’C or less for winter tyres to be effective.
I fitted my winter tyres (winter conti’s) the day before the 1st snow flurries earlier this month, but they are on a separate set of steel rims which make switching easier. But as it’s not that cold I suspect that they will have to be swooped back soon

Its little more expensive to buy tyres rated for all year use so makes sense to look out for them when you do need new boots, though if you run 20" wheels with 12" wide 30 aspect rock hard elastic bands glued around the edges instead of tyres it’s probably not worth the bother.

M&S means little on its own on a tyre other than referring to the tread pattern percentage of grooves/sipes, for genuine all season tyres rated for cold weather the tyre must have the snowflake and mountain symbol embossed on the sidewall, this doesn’t mean they are pure winter tyres, though many obviously are, you usually find snowflake stamped tyres are M&S pattern qualifying.

mountain.JPG

The usual makers such as Goodyear and Michelin are quite late newcomers onto the genuine all season tyre scene, Vredestein have been doing this for years with the Quatrac range which are good.

Those Uniroyals you use Commonrail (Rain Expert or Rainsport) would probably fly past the snowflake tests so good are they in adverse conditions, i considered them last time but instead plumped for Yokohama G015’s, so far so good, wanted the stronger sidewalls of an AT anyway.

109LWB:

Claretmac:

Agreed LWB109,
Except for the most Northern parts and up in the more hilly areas, most people in the UK might see no more than a dusting of snow if any for several years.
Looking at the weather forecast by the weekend the temperatures will be up to around 10 degrees by the weekend for much of the Country, so are we really supposed to have the same cold weather infrastructure as parts of Austria or Scandinavia that will have months snow and temperatures around or below 0 degrees.

109LWB:

There is a common misconception that winter tyres are only designed for use in snow and ice, they designed to work better than standard tyres in temperatures below 7 degrees, regardless of road conditions, their effectivness has as much to do with the compound as the tread pattern.

commonrail:
An all rounder then.

This is a typical tread pattern of a normal everyday car road tyre in the 1970’s.Combine that with rwd that you could actually steer if it loses traction no problem. :bulb:

classic.michelin.com/var/classic … rousel.png