Sounds like carnage today!

Carryfast:

muckles:

Carryfast:

Quinny:
If we use the RAC (As was) and latterly the Rally Wales GB, no 2wd car has won it since 1980, and that was the late Henri Toivonen in a Talbot Lotus Sunbeam. The following year, Hannu Mikkola won it in the first Audi Quattro. Ironically, Mikkola was 2nd in 1980 in a Ford ■■■■■■. The blue oval last won it in 1979 with the rallying God that is Ari Vatenen, with Dave Richards as his co driver. Richards then went onto run the Subuaru rally programme a few years later.

Sorry to move off topic, but if you want to know about rallying, then ask someone who use to compete/marshal. :laughing: :laughing:

Ken.

Remind us what wheel drive the Lotus Sunbeam was. :wink:

Ah I see now, when it’s a FWD rally car winning races, it’s down to the amazinly talented driver, but when it’s a RWD drive car it’s down to it being a RWD car.

I must be one talented driver then as I’ve driven both RWD and FWD cars in snow and ice over the years and not had any majors issues with either version. :wink:

No it just proved that a talented driver in a good rwd car will get beaten by a talented driver in an as good or even better rwd car.The same as you’ll find that the Mk1/Mk2 ■■■■■■,or possibly Lotus Sunbeam if there are any around,are the weapon of choice among amateur rally drivers not SAAB’s or Minis. :bulb: :wink:

Nor is there any mystery or anything new about old school rwd Fords being good on loose slippery surfaces.Don’t remember the the Mk 3 ■■■■■■ or Mondeo for any notable successes in that regard though regardless of driver.

motorsportmagazine.com/archi … ord-zephyr

So why are 4 of the top 8 cars FWD and the top 2 FWD in EB’s picture, if FWD can’t compete with RWD? Especially as that would be in an era where there were plenty of RWD cars.