Brain stimulation Q2

Everyone has a favorite Poet Laureate and I am sure we could all argue for ever about why our own particular favorite is best, be careful with this one. Who was the first Poet Laureate? What year was the first Poet Laureate appointed? Bit of a two part but good for the brain and also a very interesting bit of knowledge to impress your friends with.

Edmund Spenser 1591

No idea, but there is a strong case for Simon Armitage to be Poet Laureate in my opinion. And George Mackay Brown should have been when he was alive.

Don’t care much for the current one.

I’ve no particular favourite poet. Maybe a favourite poem would be, sorry, I don’t know the title, but the first line is
“There was a young man of Nantucket”?
Too much cant and rhetoric is dressed as art so tries to be immune to critisism. Poesie or doggerel? Little more than personal opinion. The only true yardstick is that of personal, private taste.
And, of course, I favour My taste and My opinion. If I thought my opinion was wrong…I’d change it.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

dri-diddly-iver:
Edmund Spenser 1591

Edmund Spencer was not recognised as a Poet Laureate he was in fact a court poet, it is tricky to establish his role and is easy to think of him as an official. His work The Faerie Queene is a particular favorite of mine but alas he was not the first Poet Laureate. Good research though, 10 /10.

Franglais:
I’ve no particular favourite poet. Maybe a favourite poem would be, sorry, I don’t know the title, but the first line is
Too much cant and rhetoric is dressed as art so tries to be immune to critisism. Poesie or doggerel? Little more than personal opinion. The only true yardstick is that of personal, private taste.
And, of course, I favour My taste and My opinion. If I thought my opinion was wrong…I’d change it.

An absolute classic, “There was a young man of Nantucket” great piece of work and I am sure that many a Poet Laureate has been inspired by such a masterpiece.

UKtramp:
Everyone has a favorite Poet Laureate and I am sure we could all argue for ever about why our own particular favorite is best, be careful with this one. Who was the first Poet Laureate? What year was the first Poet Laureate appointed? Bit of a two part but good for the brain and also a very interesting bit of knowledge to impress your friends with.

Really ■■?.. I bet the vast majority of people couldn’t even name one let alone have a favourite !!.. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
Regards. John.

Franglais:

who’s ■■■■ was so long he could ■■■■ it
that is one of about two poems I know - i will let someone else add the next line

Bluey Circles:

Franglais:

:laughing: :laughing: At last !
We’ve been brought back down to the usual level of intellect on Trucknet. :laughing: :laughing:
The only poetry most know on here (including me tbh) involved a guy called Mr Dumpty. :smiley:

robroy:

Bluey Circles:

Franglais:

:laughing: :laughing: At last !
We’ve been brought back down to the usual level of intellect on Trucknet. :laughing: :laughing:
The only poetry most know on here (including me tbh) involved a guy called Mr Dumpty. :smiley:

The question is did Dumpty fall or was he pushed. :confused: Elf and Safety are still out on that one.

P.S. What is a Poet Lorikeet.

Got to admit i’m not big on poetry, used to know a few rugby songs many years ago but can’t remember them now. They probably wouldn’t count as I couldn’t see a poet laureate reciting them to her Maj, but you never know.
Favourite poem would be " The ballad of Reading goal" by Oscar Wilde.

“I am not very bright but I can lift heavy things” will get a chance of answering.
This is why I answered this question and not yesterdays and my names not Thaddeus.

I really don’t like poetry. The only one I can say I would take to is because of a childhood memory. Under Milk Wood by Dylan Thomas. Is that a poem?

My parents had a dramatisation with Anthony Hopkins on cassette and played it in the car when we drove to west Wales on holiday.

Under Milk Wood is indeed a poem. It was made into a stage performance and I believe a film too.

Freight Dog:
I really don’t like poetry. The only one I can say I would take to is because of a childhood memory. Under Milk Wood by Dylan Thomas. Is that a poem?

My parents had a dramatisation with Anthony Hopkins on cassette and played it in the car when we drove to west Wales on holiday.

The BBC version with Richard Burton as the narrator? is excellent. It’s like Shakespeare’s plays: should not be read as a book, but seen and heard performed.
Happen Will Shagspur is somewhat overrated too.

UKtramp:
Under Milk Wood is indeed a poem. It was made into a stage performance and I believe a film too.

How would YOU define a poem? And differentiate a poem in free form, from badly written prose? Beng told what it is by the author I would consider a cop out!

Franglais:
The BBC version with Richard Burton as the narrator?

I couldn’t remember. It’s been a minute. Was a 13 year old when last heard it so had a google. It was Anthony Hopkins narrating, released in 1988. Had Bonnie Tyler in it. I don’t remember that.

ebay.ie/itm/DYLAN-THOMAS-Und … Sw4CFYrr~G

It was Newquay, Wales we used to go to on holiday in the early 1990s. The locals in Newquay still hated Dylan Thomas in the 90s :laughing: . Probably love him now and are cashing in :laughing:

It isn’t the author that defines a poem to be a poem, the author merely writes a poem which can be open to interpretation by the listener as good or bad. I personally am not keen on Shakespearean plays but I wouldn’t say any of them are a cop out or poorly written because I don’t like them. I do not like modern poetry either… A poem is defined as of writing in which the words are arranged in separate lines, often ending in rhyme, and are chosen for their sound and for the images and ideas they suggest: Now on that basis alone I cannot possibly say it is my own definition as it is what it is. Poor, good or bad is down to interpretation as I have said. There is no good or bad in that respect.

What’s the best truck sat nav to buy?

Definitely CoPilot.

robroy:
What’s the best truck sat nav to buy?

I asked on here for you Rob " everypoet.org/" , but one or two posters told me I was on the wrong forum. :laughing: :laughing: :wink:
Regards. John.