Petrol and diesel cars to be phased out within 20 years?

Just caught the end of a news report. Did I hear right that the I C E is to be phased out by 2040?

Yep…!! No word on trucks yet good luck to the next Einstein who thinks a poxy electric motor can pull 30+ tonne worth’…

SouthEastCashew:
Yep…!! No word on trucks yet good luck to the next Einstein who thinks a poxy electric motor can pull 30+ tonne worth’…

Of course they can. I don’t how many tonnes are pulled by electric motors in diesel electric trains. They main problem they need to solve is getting battery technology light enough to make an electric tractor unit the same weight or less than the equivalent range and power of a diesel one.

This will never happen, it’s policymakers spin .
Think of the huge job losses at car factories.
Then the raw material production and supply chains ,end of.
France has promised the end of fuel cars by 2040, but the highest polluters USA and China will carry on.
Cruise ships moored up at ports belch out chimney pollution to power generators .

The middle east oil billionaires will not let it happen.

Expect your electric bills to go up 20000000% to compensate for the building of a ■■■ load of new power stations, wind mills etc and the loss in road tax and fuel tax.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

dancompression:

SouthEastCashew:

Of course they can. I don’t how many tonnes are pulled by electric motors in diesel electric trains. They main problem they need to solve is getting battery technology light enough to make an electric tractor unit the same weight or less than the equivalent range and power of a diesel one.

Also don’t electric motors produce maximum torque from start up and have a flat torque profile, unlike Internal combustion motors that produce most of their torque further up the rev range and have an curved torque profile meaning more gear changes to keep max torque.

Although I think the technology will improve, I wonder if electric motors relying on battery power will be a short term solution.

I also believe that many of these environmentalists who complain about diesel and petrol engined vehicles, especially personal transport, will still complain when we’re driving round in pollution free vehicles, that have full end of life recycling plans,

toby1234abc:
This will never happen, it’s policymakers spin .
Think of the huge job losses at car factories.
Then the raw material production and supply chains ,end of.

Why will there be job losses at car factories and in the supply chain, they’re not talking of getting rid of cars, although I’m sure some would like that regardless of how it’s powered, just changing how that vehicle is powered.

Come on you can’t beat the roar of a diesel truck… Be like sitting in a library if they follow through with this electricity b******

Fuel duty raises around £27 billion PA. The government is not going to just give up on that amount of money. You can expect to be paying that amount and a bit more some other way come 2040. I shan’t have to worry 'cos I’ll be dead by then hopefully.

SouthEastCashew:
Come on you can’t beat the roar of a diesel truck… Be like sitting in a library if they follow through with this electricity b******

It’s a fair point, but things move on, no doubt the operators of Steam truck said similar things when those new fangled internal combustion truck appeared on the scene. :smiley:

cav551:
Fuel duty raises around £27 billion PA. The government is not going to just give up on that amount of money. You can expect to be paying that amount and a bit more some other way come 2040. I shan’t have to worry 'cos I’ll be dead by then hopefully.

Death and taxes the only certainties in life, they’ll find a way of taxing the electricity used for charging the cars and tax you on the miles you drive.

They aren’t ending the ICE you could still use LPG Hydrogen etc.
How many of you have driven an electric vehicle? They are pretty impressive except the weight and range aspects.
I thought this announcement should have been made 9 yrs ago during the economic crisis and funding channelled into developing new technologies. If you accept that diesel and petrol engined cars are ultimately doomed then it makes sense to be the first to perfect the new technologies and become world leaders. Shame we waited for the French to announce it first though.

I can’t help thinking that the electricity companies are going to use this to get public money for upgrading their already failing infrastructure. Since most of the cost of fuel goes to the government anyway in the form of tax,it would make sense to have a nationalised generation and distribution network for vehicle electricity separate to that of domestic supply. It would be nice to see the brakes put on all that money leaving the UK to buy oil, if possible.

dancompression:

SouthEastCashew:

And for the batteries to last long enough to shift a decent payload over that range.

Scania were mucking about with a trial vehicle that had a pantograph, much like a trolley bus or electric loco. Requires wired roads, get under the wires, pan up and away.

Straight electric railway vehicles are far more powerful and lighter than their diesel electric counterparts, but require an incredible external infrastructure to provide the juice.

Electric heavy trucks are, as far as current onboard tech goes, impractical. The weight of batteries to shift a laden wagon will cut the payload to the bone. I’ve seen some light vans in London that look ok, but only suitable for that inner city multi drop or courier work.

DfT have just jacked a load of railway electrification owing to cost and project overruns and ordered new build diesel trains, wait until they have to subsidise road charging infrastructure in car parks, services and at the roadside, and more power generation projects. They’ll do a quarter of what they say will be installed, at twice the price, then cancel it before allowing some new oil burners to be sold again.

One serious issue we seemed to have missed here guys -

With out diesel engines what logo will all the V8 “Super” truckers have on there latest jackets / shirts / caps / keyrings / pants etc etc ■■?

These are real issues that need debating in the house of commons !

With all the fuel stations shut, where will drivers get their 15 minute tacho breaks, with no fuel pumps to block off.
No more pies or pasties.
With the eventual demise of lorries, the anti lorry Nimbies will get their freight delivered by canals, rivers and the horse and cart.

You can imagine the angry call to customer services .
:Good moaning, its Hyacinth Bouquet, not Bucket, I ordered five tons of turf last Christmas, and its not here yet .:
Call centre : Ok Mrs Bucket, delivery eta is two months more, and currently on the Manchester ship canal .:

Captain Caveman 76:
Just caught the end of a news report. Did I hear right that the I C E is to be phased out by 2040?

For starters, 2040 is actually 23 years in the future - so not “within 20 years”. Secondly, the aim is apparently to have no sales of new petrol/diesel cars & vans after 2040. The exact wording has of course not yet been stated (there will be an awful lot of debate before that happens), but I would expect it to be along the lines of no new models after the cut-off date. This would still leave production runs of existing models for another 5-10 years to continue, and after that there would still be another 10-20 years while vehicles already on the road were allowed to die a natural death (and for retail sales of fossil fuels to slowly fade away). So that’s another 40-50 years of petrol/diesel fuelled cars.

Well I for one dont think itll happen. I think theres something in the conspiracy theory that the internal ■■■■■■■■■■ engine could have been replaced years ago but the big oil companies quashed any technology that would affect their profits so I cant see them letting this become a realit

Hydro:
DfT have just jacked a load of railway electrification owing to cost and project overruns and ordered new build diesel trains

Think you’ll find that the new trains aren’t just diesel but can run on diesel and electricity…

dancompression:

SouthEastCashew:

…maybe the 44tonner of the future will be 42.5 tonnes of “locomotive” electric artic combination with a payload of 1.5t - about the same as one of those E-type trailers they drag behind a coach…

This hasn’t been thought out very well though - has it?

If people think their new car they were about to buy is “not going to be legal past 2040” - then guess what? - People won’t be buying new cars any more.
What’s THAT going to do to the domestic car market?

…It’ll do wonders for the 2nd hand car market, mind… But that’s another story!

Winseer:

dancompression:

SouthEastCashew:

…maybe the 44tonner of the future will be 42.5 tonnes of “locomotive” electric artic combination with a payload of 1.5t - about the same as one of those E-type trailers they drag behind a coach…

This hasn’t been thought out very well though - has it?

If people think their new car they were about to buy is “not going to be legal past 2040” - then guess what? - People won’t be buying new cars any more.
What’s THAT going to do to the domestic car market?

…It’ll do wonders for the 2nd hand car market, mind… But that’s another story!

I don’t think many people buying a new car, worry too much about if they’d be able to drive it in 23 years time.