POSH

Port out, Starboard home.
Isn’t it time we had different colours as navigation lights like ships, Red for right and Lemon for left. It would look much nicer [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wheel Nut:
Port out, Starboard home.
Isn’t it time we had different colours as navigation lights like ships, Red for right and Lemon for left. It would look much nicer [emoji12]

I think the sun has got to you and you need to go for a lie down in a padded cell. Lol

Sent from Platform 9 3/4

I thought port was left and starboard was right

Colin_scottish:

You lot have no sense of adventure [emoji14]

Its all that slimming world ■■■■ malc…its clouded your brain…ha ha

Great idea it works on water and in the air so it must be good on the road.Don’t forget you’ll also need a white light in the center on the grille and high up on the back of the cab to see which way it’s turning from a distance. :laughing:

Carryfast:
Great idea it works on water and in the air so it must be good on the road.Don’t forget you’ll also need a white light in the center on the grille and high up on the back of the cab to see which way it’s turning from a distance. :laughing:

And once again Carryfast demonstrates that the Internet may have all the information, but that understanding all that information is not as easy…

the nodding donkey:

Carryfast:

And once again Carryfast demonstrates that the Internet may have all the information, but that understanding all that information is not as easy…

Well fancy that [emoji15]

surley cross channel ferries will have to change with brexit, like right for remainers going over the channel and left for leavers who will obviously be heading to the Scandinavian countries for their hols, and red lights at the back when heading for Britain as the remainers can no longer afford Europe, and the leavers who have never been able to afford Scandinavia,

Nah all those coloured lights would just clash with my french blue poofy curtains. :smiley:

Colin_scottish:

no port left, drank it all

Carryfast, in his infinite wisdom, forgot the fact that vessels under 50 mtr overall lenght do not need the aftermost masthead light but can display one if they do choose to do so …

Colin_scottish:

PORT should be LEFT a few years before drinking.

The last time that I was at sea in a yacht ,well under 50 metres it was, I sent the young lad of to the chandlers for 3 cans of paraffin.I told him to get red stuff for the Port light and green for the Sar"b"d and clear for the stern.

alamcculloch:
The last time that I was at sea in a yacht ,well under 50 metres it was, I sent the young lad of to the chandlers for 3 cans of paraffin.I told him to get red stuff for the Port light and green for the Sar"b"d and clear for the stern.

Must have been under 7 metres if you never had a masthead white light as well and why not get a tin of striped paint at the same time !! :frowning:

raymundo:

alamcculloch:

Must have been under 7 metres if you never had a masthead white light as well and why not get a tin of striped paint at the same time !! :frowning:

It’s a daft rule.Surely it’s as important to know quickly which direction that under 50 metre vessels are heading when approaching head on,as over 50 metres. :confused:

Not a daft rule at all if a proper lookout is being kept, along with all the other aids available like radar, automatic identification system (ais, if fitted) and the reliable mk. 1 eyeball.

raymundo:
Not a daft rule at all if a proper lookout is being kept, along with all the other aids available like radar, automatic identification system (ais, if fitted) and the reliable mk. 1 eyeball.

So what changes in that regard in the case of over or under 50 metre vessels.Surely it’s just as important to maximise the ability of the Mk 1 eyeball to recognise direction changes quickly in the case of vessels approaching each other head on. :confused:

Anyway it’s optional so I’m going to fit the two masthead lights in the normally accepted pattern to go with the green and red side lights on my vehicle. :smiling_imp: :laughing:

POSH of course has nothing to do with navigation and stands for Port Out Starboard Home, which comes from the old days when people used to go to the US of A by ship and was to do with getting a cabin on the sunny side (expensive) in both directions.

Sticking with the USA even the most advanced navy vessel with the most up to date navigation aids can’t dodge a determined skipper with a container boat.

I looked at the container ships track on marine traffic and I’ve no idea where he thought he was going, he did at least two u turns and a complete circle before he hit the navy ship then suddenly decided he needed to be some where else and did a very slow runner. He was never going to get away with that.