Think of the children .

With signs on the motorway road works of "My Daddy works here " and new 20 mph limits in residential areas, with pictures done in crayon, done by kids, to tell us to slow down, but I have never seen kids playing in the streets for 20 years .
It used to be normal to kick a ball around and other games on the pavement , such as Hopscotch or conkers .

When I were a kid back in the early to mid eighties I lived in a small surrey village called Ockley that had the A29 running straight through it and boy was it straight (old roman road) we used to bugger off down the woods or down to the huge local village green
no problems what so ever

Blue estate, i hope that you were wearing your hiviz back in the good old days, and if you ventured near a quarry, that you dressed like you have been Tangoed in bright day glow work clobber, but the the point you made that nobody got hurt, nobody got maimed for life or got killed .
I grew up on a dairy farm and swallowed cow muck that splashed up from the yard scraper.
Drank raw milk full of lots of bacteria and cow muck .

Another issue is the amount of signs in the UK, the whole place is swamped with them, telling us all what to do when and why, and telling us what not to do .
Ever tried driving in to a builders merchants when the sign says wait outside until called in, and see them get their knickers in a twist .
No other lorry in the yard, but they will then put you in the naughty corner and make you wait for an hour .

Smart motorway signs, they are covering drivers with cotton wool so you are not allowed to think out of the box, we drive like robots obeying the signs that transpire to a non event .

Go to Romania or Bulgaria, you will see ADR chemical tanker drivers , stood on top of the tanker with no safety harness, safety hat, goggles or glasses, or full PPE, he will wear cut off shorts, sandals or flip flops and a wife beaters vest .No hi viz .

blue estate:
When I were a kid back in the early to mid eighties I lived in a small surrey village called Ockley that had the A29 running straight through it and boy was it straight (old roman road) we used to bugger off down the woods or down to the huge local village green
no problems what so ever

I pick up bricks from Ockley every now and again,shouldn’t think it’s changed much at all.

I lived there for about 5 years too back in early 2000.

bobbya:

blue estate:
no problems what so ever

I pick up bricks from Ockley every now and again,shouldn’t think it’s changed much at all.

Apart from a lorry driver couldn’t afford to buy a house there now due to it being in commuter belt