Diesel v Petrol

I know this is a bit off track for a lorry thread but apparently the Government are about to penalise diesel car users because diesel is now a dirty fuel which is causing damage to the atmosphere. Wait a minute didnt they tell us that petrol was the evil fuel not so long ago and put car tax up accordingly. The majority of car drivers (me included) have switched to diesel for efficiency and in my case I couldnt afford £490 a year road tax. So does everyone switch back to petrol, doesnt adblue work, are we in for compensation for being miss lead ■■■■??? I had a 2.5t petrol Volvo which like George Best enjoyed a good drink , so Im getting hammered at the pump with tax then paying £490 a year tax on top, now they are saying petrol is cleaner than diesel (no ■■■■ Sherlock) so where does this leave motorists. Who is it that makes all these decisions , do they sit there scratching their heads thinking what can we do next :wink:

In the motoring section of our local rag this weekend they are blaming the Blair government for promoting diesel over petrol, something else for Bliar to shoulder!

I’m sticking with diesel - as long as I can afford the tax.
I like diesel engines, I understand them and I like driving a diesel. Before petrol was the villain, now it’s diesels. For how long till they come up with another money making scheme?
Stuff 'em, I’m sticking with diesel. My car, a Dacia, gives me 60mpg and that suits me nicely.

David

Legislated obsolescence of vehicles again, IE it’s a scrappage scheme. I bet there has been an increase in the funding of research into the damage caused by diesel fumes in the past decade. In previous years, petrol will have been the focus. Take all the research into account, and you will conclude that:

1. Some emissions cause some health problems.
  2. Vehicle emissions is a small percentage of the total, as a result of successive legislative campaigns.
  3. The emissions of the vehicles of 50 years ago cannot have been that bad, otherwise today’s old people would not be so numerous. Therefore, modern vehicles might as well stay as they are.

The banks run the world, and it is in their interests for us all to make and scrap cars etc. as quickly as possible. MPs are not engineers, so they can’t argue.

Hey Ramone and David, its all business to fill up the treasury, they need need money that’s all.
You have to pay more for old diesels and so on, but they are exported, is the sky beter there, didn’t they have to be recycled, no but it makes business and again tax and work.
As you said times ago it were petrol cars with leaded fuel, now it are diesels.
But is diesel now cheaper in England as petrol ■■? If I fdrove in the '70’s and '80’s it was opposite there weren’t mutch diesel cars and a lot fuel stations didn’t had even a dieselpump.
I stay with diesel as long as I can, and don’t go anymore to the forbidden cities. But yes we can buy a expensive ticket
to go in to do shopping, and so will my 20 years old car be as clean as a euro 6, damned :imp: :smiling_imp: :imp:

Eric,

Hey, same as asbestos it causes cancer ok i don’t know i’am not a doctor.
But why have they let continue using it till the 2000 years if they knew just after WWII that it was poison
from papers out German researchers ■■?
And now begins to oblig to do lots of nieuw roofings because of asbest is in the old corrugated concrete sheets.

If they want to begin to clean the air (sky climate) then they have first to half population on earth, the more people the more developing countries the more pollution. Bying a new car and moving the old to pour countries means even more pollution, and so is it and will be staying in future.

That are my personal thoughts, (maybe a bit cruel said but reality)

Eric,

All the major cities have an airport now . No account is taken of the pollution caused by constant flights in and out by planes that measure their fuel consumption in tons rather than litres . I don’t suppose it suits big business and airlines to have it mentioned .

David Miller:
I like diesel engines, I understand them and I like driving a diesel. Before petrol was the villain, now it’s diesels. For how long till they come up with another money making scheme?
Stuff 'em, I’m sticking with diesel. My car, a Dacia, gives me 60mpg and that suits me nicely.

David

+1. Oh, and Happy Easter David! Robert

rigsby:
All the major cities have an airport now . No account is taken of the pollution caused by constant flights in and out by planes that measure their fuel consumption in tons rather than litres . I don’t suppose it suits big business and airlines to have it mentioned .

Ha ha , I remember a few years back Prince Charles was promoting rain forest preservation in Brazil and how we shouldn`t be using aerosols and how damaging jet engines and cars were for the ozone … then he left in his chauffeur driven limo back to the airport to board his private jet . I thought that climate change was caused by evolution not people driving V12 Jags.

robert1952:

David Miller:

David

+1. Oh, and Happy Easter David! Robert

Exactly what is more understandable about diesel than petrol engines and how can something which produces more power,with more refinement,not possibly deliver a better driving experience.Bearing in mind it’s also an unarguably cleaner burning fuel.Let alone if LPG is added to the equation in the case of commercials. :confused:

The problem in this case is that the government’s agenda is more about raising tax and maybe even removing the freedom of choice between Internal Combustion v Electric in the longer term.Than persuading people to use cleaner fuel by just rightly selectively,hitting diesels.While penny pinching luddite diesel users are just giving the government more ammunition to hit all of us. :bulb:

Yes lets shift the goal posts again, keep us peasants on our toes.

No problem decimating forests for biomass of course, and don’t forget those bird and bat slicers that add such beauty :imp: to what was once a lovely British landscape, handily those who sold the rest of the country are making a mint out of subsidies for having the things on their land, kerbloodyching.

It’s the latest instalment in the emptying of your wallet saga, that is all.

My oldest friend worked as a scientist at ‘A Government owned vehicle research establishment’ all his working life and twenty years ago they conducted tests on the problems diesel powered vehicles were doing to the environment. His team reckoned they were deadly in congested areas and contributed to many health problems, the report was submitted and they were told to just hush it all up.

I run a diesel engined Partner and also a Dispatch van, I don’t believe that a petrol engine was an option in the Dispatch anyway and the petrol engined Partners have problems enginewise.

Pete.

windrush:
My oldest friend worked as a scientist at ‘A Government owned vehicle research establishment’ all his working life and twenty years ago they conducted tests on the problems diesel powered vehicles were doing to the environment. His team reckoned they were deadly in congested areas and contributed to many health problems, the report was submitted and they were told to just hush it all up.

I run a diesel engined Partner and also a Dispatch van, I don’t believe that a petrol engine was an option in the Dispatch anyway and the petrol engined Partners have problems enginewise.

Pete.

vans.honestjohn.co.uk/van-top-1 … trol-vans/

Juddian:
Yes lets shift the goal posts again, keep us peasants on our toes.

No problem decimating forests for biomass of course, and don’t forget those bird and bat slicers that add such beauty :imp: to what was once a lovely British landscape, handily those who sold the rest of the country are making a mint out of subsidies for having the things on their land, kerbloodyching.

It’s the latest instalment in the emptying of your wallet saga, that is all.

It’s clear that the government is taking advantage of the justified and long over due backlash against the unnecessary use of dirty diesel,as part of a totally different agenda.Which is all about a cynical taxation grab and creating captive markets for the big business agendas whether nuclear or so called ‘renewable’ energy providers.In this case the end game probably being eventually forcing road users into smart metered fuelled EV’s by removing the choice of all Internal Combustion engines regardless.

Bump

Bump

Just got rid of my horses and now am feeling this may have been a tad premature as there is no tax to pay at all, get some hosses is the answer chaps and the only contamination they cause is maybe some crap deposited on the road now and then, Buzzer

Carryfast:

windrush:

Pete.

vans.honestjohn.co.uk/van-top-1 … trol-vans/

Petrol option only on the new model post 2006 vans, mine is the older 2.0 HDI version. Fiat did offer a choice of two petrol engines in the similar shaped Scudo, Peugeot and Citroen did not.

Pete.

Then, maybe shall we see such trucks back on our roads, like this 1933 Delahaye, powered by a 90 bhp 6-litre petrol engine. Moreover, no nuclear-produced electricity to operate the petrol pump, just elbow grease! It should match the most ut-to-date environmental requests!

Buzzer:
Just got rid of my horses and now am feeling this may have been a tad premature as there is no tax to pay at all, get some hosses is the answer chaps and the only contamination they cause is maybe some crap deposited on the road now and then, Buzzer

What a fine turnout.I’ve had a bit to do with 'osses with my grandad being a bit of a dealer ( a spit on the hands and luck money chap ) That’s where I got my sales training from.Eric Barker had a couple of Shires and they were good for the garden
But will be having petrol trains,ships,tractors,racing records and cruise liners ?
Ask your M.P. He or She won’t know what Diesel is T…s

Tony