RIP, Mohamed Ali 'The Greatest'

After all the celebrity deaths so far this year, now The Greatest has joined them.

RIP Muhammed Ali.

An ambassador and a great character.
RIP

youtube.com/watch?v=W4IKMX-5JLk

17.35-

This was posted on another forum I visit, and I really can’t add anything to it, just thought you’d like to see it.

People will remember Muhammed Ali for many reasons, mine are quite personal. Ali was my inspiration and helped give me the courage to stand up to the United States government and say, “■■■■ you! I will not participate in the Vietnamese genocide.” Whilst most “draft dodgers” at the time headed north to Canada, like Ali, I stayed and faced the music.

At the time he went to prison, Ali was well on the road to fame and fortune. He gave all of that up, and willingly went to prison, to stand up for what he believed in. To understand his committment, one needs to understand that Ali had no idea what awaited him when his prison time was over. Life was not very kind to black ex-cons at that time, and he had taken a very controversial position. He had no idea if he would return to reclaim fame and fortune, or if he’d spend the rest of his life doing menial labor. That is what makes him the greatest, in my mind anyway. He risked losing everything to stand on principle, and that is a rare quality.

I’m not much for belief in afterlife, but, if there is one, Ali is now free of his mortal bonds, and can once again float like a butterfly, and sting like a bee.

RIP Muhammed Ali.

And to add to the list, Moto2 rider Luis Salom, 24…maybe a different ‘job’ to others but just doing his job. Seems like Bruce Forsyth hasn’t got long either

Harry Monk:
This was posted on another forum I visit, and I really can’t add anything to it, just thought you’d like to see it.

People will remember Muhammed Ali for many reasons, mine are quite personal. Ali was my inspiration and helped give me the courage to stand up to the United States government and say, “[zb] you! I will not participate in the Vietnamese genocide.” Whilst most “draft dodgers” at the time headed north to Canada, like Ali, I stayed and faced the music.

At the time he went to prison, Ali was well on the road to fame and fortune. He gave all of that up, and willingly went to prison, to stand up for what he believed in. To understand his committment, one needs to understand that Ali had no idea what awaited him when his prison time was over. Life was not very kind to black ex-cons at that time, and he had taken a very controversial position. He had no idea if he would return to reclaim fame and fortune, or if he’d spend the rest of his life doing menial labor. That is what makes him the greatest, in my mind anyway. He risked losing everything to stand on principle, and that is a rare quality.

I’m not much for belief in afterlife, but, if there is one, Ali is now free of his mortal bonds, and can once again float like a butterfly, and sting like a bee.

RIP Muhammed Ali.

Nice one Harry, a lot of us grew up with Cassius Clay/Muhammed Ali in our lives & he was always an inspiration to me, he said what he was going to do & he did it, he said that he was the Greatest & He was the Greatest.
The tributes keep pouring in.

Rest in Peace Big Man. [emoji219]

Agree with Martinviking… Ali wasn’t known for talking outta his arse… He was one of those who could talk the talk & walk the walk!

Actrosman:
And to add to the list, Moto2 rider Luis Salom, 24…maybe a different ‘job’ to others but just doing his job. Seems like Bruce Forsyth hasn’t got long either

How do you think ‘Our Brucie’ is going to feel when he reads that ? :unamused: :laughing:

raymundo:

Actrosman:

How do you think ‘Our Brucie’ is going to feel when he reads that ? :unamused: :laughing:

Nice to read it, to read it nice !

I grew up watching Ali fight. The first I remember was as a young kid, watching him against Henry Cooper, think it was in his Cassius Clay days, when Cooper put him down, but Ali won it.

I watched a compilation of his Parkinson interviews last night on BBC4, if you get a chance when it comes around again watch it. Look out for the interview with him and Joe Frazier togeher, where Ali winds Frazier up, who bites, and they start sparring in the studio…classic :smiley:
He was a charismatic likeable guy out of the ring, and truly ‘The Greatest’ in it, an absolute legend of the type we will never see again.
RIP.

robroy:
I grew up watching Ali fight. The first I remember was as a young kid, watching him against Henry Cooper, think it was in his Cassius Clay days, when Cooper put him down, but Ali won it.

I watched a compilation of his Parkinson interviews last night on BBC4, if you get a chance when it comes around again watch it. Look out for the interview with him and Joe Frazier togeher, where Ali winds Frazier up, who bites, and they start sparring in the studio…classic :smiley:
He was a charismatic likeable guy out of the ring, and truly ‘The Greatest’ in it, an absolute legend of the type we will never see again.
RIP.

if i remember rightly didn’t someone in ali’s corner split his glove, thus giving him more time to recover.

Link not working sorry

steviebyday:

robroy:

RIP.

if i remember rightly didn’t someone in ali’s corner split his glove, thus giving him more time to recover.

Yeh that’s right, he did, Ali would have started the next round dazed, but by the time he had changed his glove he was sorted.
Ali always recognised Cooper with respect after that fight.