Would you consider living on a narrowboat?

After his recent divorce my brother in law thought it was time to do something different so he bought a narrowboat.

I was a bit surprised as I’ve only ever thought of them as a holiday thing & not something to live on all year round but after seeing it & listening to him I can now see the appeal… no council tax, all heating is by red diesel (88p litre), no electricity or gas bills. You also get to see some beautiful countryside that you wouldn’t even know was there.

There are downsides of course… there isn’t a lot of space so no room for all the tat you’ve acquired over the years, there are bills to pay & it’s not really suitable for a family.

So, given the right circumstances, would it be something you might try?

Melchett:
… no council tax,

Really? I thought these zbs had every area covered and no-one escaped :slight_smile:

mrpj:

Melchett:
… no council tax,

Really? I thought these zbs had every area covered and no-one escaped :slight_smile:

Nope, no council tax. I did say there are bills to pay & the waterways licence is one of them, according to BIL it’s costing him around half of what he paid in council tax.

Yes, would definately consider it as the lifestyle appeals to me. But then having said that, after a few months I am sure I would get fidgety.

I’d live in one :slight_smile: you can get wider ones and I know of two families that live on boats so you can do it :slight_smile:

I did think of it a few years ago, I may even do it in time.

I would consider it, in one of the wide barges. I know it restricts the canals you can use in this country but they are capable of sea journeys so all of Europe can be covered. Plus the fact that some of are huge, loads of room for everything even the car. Look for barges on " Apollo duck" google it. Loads for sale from a couple of thou to a million or more.

By the way there is a section for narrow boats as well.

Lusk:
Yes, would definately consider it as the lifestyle appeals to me. But then having said that, after a few months I am sure I would get fidgety.

:grimacing: When you get fidgety you move to somewhere new :wink:

Once Ive saved up the money I plan to live full time on a yacht. Not as expensive as they sound.

I lived on a boat back in the late '90s for a few years, first a 30 foot narrowboat, then a 52 foot narrowboat which I bought when I realised the 30 footer was way too small. I loved it, and would do it again tomorrow. In fact, I’ve recently managed to talk my fiancee around to the idea and we’re planning on selling our house and most of the crap we’ve accumulated to put in it and buying a narrowboat instead.
Pros … it’s a great way of life and (whatever people say) it is cheaper than a mortgage, council tax, ever increasing utility bills and all the rest of it. Cons are that it can be cold in winter, and you need to be at least reasonably practical and able to turn your hand to anything from diesel engine maintenace to woodwork and wiring. Moorings - at least, genuine residential ones - can be difficult to find and are subject to council tax just the same as your house is. You can live unofficially on a leisure mooring if you can find an understanding marina owner who is prepared to turn a blind eye to your presence, but you have to expect to be turfed out if the CRT (Canal & River Trust; the body which replaced British Waterways) take exception to you being there. This is not a problem if you’re young, free and single, but if you’ve got kids in the local school or a regular job in the area, it can be disastrous. A postal address can also present difficulties, but not insurmountable ones: most people just borrow a friend or relative’s address.
In short, it’s great fun and a proper adventure, but you need to have an affinity with that sort of lifestyle. Doing it just because it’s cheaper than a house won’t work in the long term.

switchlogic:
Once Ive saved up the money I plan to live full time on a yacht. Not as expensive as they sound.

Quite agree, mine is up for sale and you can have it for a grand :slight_smile: I live on a barge doing three weeks on and then three weeks off (not a narrow boat but a sea going ole girl) and get paid for the pleasure (?) OK, so it’s work for me !

raymundo:

switchlogic:

Quite agree, mine is up for sale and you can have it for a grand :slight_smile: I live on a barge doing three weeks on and then three weeks off (not a narrow boat but a sea going ole girl) and get paid for the pleasure (?) OK, so it’s work for me !

The yacht attracts me as I love sailing. This year I sailed across the bay of Biscay with a friend in his 36ft (I think) Gibsea. (I think). Was brilliant stuff. So I want to do it myself. Cant think of anything better than living on a yacht and if the weather looks good just go out sailing for the weekend. All the time you’re at home! After all having lived full time in lorries for 7 years now a yacht would be massively more spacious.

I know someone that lives on a narrow boat in MK. Pretty sure a few years back he said he was paying £100 -£140 to heat the boat, per week.
There are other costs too, plus the outlay of the boat itself.
In previous conversations, the 60k he bought the boat for could have bought a nice house which would of appreciated in value several times over during the same time frame.
Hindsight I guess.
That said, living on the boat has its own rewards.

Rhythm Thief:
Cons are that it can be cold in winter, and you need to be at least reasonably practical and able to turn your hand to anything from diesel engine maintenace to woodwork and wiring. Moorings - at least, genuine residential ones - can be difficult to find and are subject to council tax just the same as your house is. You can live unofficially on a leisure mooring if you can find an understanding marina owner who is prepared to turn a blind eye to your presence, but you have to expect to be turfed out if the CRT (Canal & River Trust; the body which replaced British Waterways) take exception to you being there. This is not a problem if you’re young, free and single, but if you’ve got kids in the local school or a regular job in the area, it can be disastrous. A postal address can also present difficulties, but not insurmountable ones: most people just borrow a friend or relative’s address.

This will be his 1st winter aboard so we’ll see about the cold bit :wink: Everything is diesel powered… Webasto central heating boiler & diesel fired stove so he shouldn’t have a problem.

He doesn’t have a permanent mooring, he just moves every couple of weeks to another spot on the canal, always close to a pub funnily enough.
I agree that it would be difficult for a family with kids but for a single person/couple who fancy the “challenge” it looks like a wholly different & relaxing lifestyle.
Bet you can’t tell I’m as jealous as f*** :slight_smile:

think Alex Lester lives on one during the week

Melchett:

Lusk:

:grimacing: When you get fidgety you move to somewhere new :wink:

Good point lol but not sure if I could give up the house etc to do it although I really can see the appeal :smiley:

I have spoken to some canal boat dwellers.They have to move on every two weeks or pay for a permanment mooring.
A British Waterways official will ride his bike along the canal and issue fines for non movers.
He had a Gps machine to log the movements.
Recently a large number of boats have been broken in to.Cash/bikes/lap tops and other valuables were stolen.
The boats were padlocked.So a guard dog is needed.
Passing boats could be a nuisance.You can drink and drive in a boat.In the tourist season you get lots of silly people messing about on the water.Hen and stag parties.Rowdy people.
Around here the permits are £800 per year.
With winter on the way ,getting firewood is a must.Saw or chain saw.
Some run a business from their boats;hairdressers,cafe,diesel engine mechanic,red fuel tanker mobile delivery service,woodmaker,boat painter and so on.Nursery,bike shop/repairs.

My nan lived on a Dutch barge ,(twice as wide) and had the time of her life, very little maintenance (but when you do have to its expensive) and my god the place was sorted,
Plasma screen full length corner leather sofa that seats 8, move when you want.

But yes they can get cold ( unless you pimp it out like she did)
For a tramper it should be a home from home as although you do have household appliances you have to watch wattages etc,

Never have the solid factor money wise or even physically like bricks and mortar though

Toby said … You can drink and drive in a boat.

You bloody well cannot, another ‘assumption’ on your part I presume ■■ :unamused:

Intoxicated persons
Rule 44. No person shall navigate any vessel on any canal or take any
part in the navigation, mooring or handling of any vessel on the
canal whilst under the influence of drink to such an extent as to
be incapable of having proper control of the vessel.

GPS device … Any vessel can only be tracked ONLY if it has as AIS (Automatic Identification System) transponder fitted, like a tracker but never known a canal boat to need one, hardly likely to get stolen :slight_smile:

ps, you can lock up your brick built house or boat with as many locks as you like before going out but some scrote will still get in if he is determined, locks (and guard dogs) only keep out honest folk …

If i lived on the water i would do some volunteer work to cut down trees and hedges along the canal.
When they drain collect all the junk in the mud bed.Maintain the locks and crossing points.
Build or update the cycle paths.Friendly people to meet and have a cold pint after a hard days work.Run the tea room or cafe too.