If You Could Vote Again (Brexit)

Winseer:
(1) Brexit is not done, and there is a clear commitment from Labour to completing it. By that point, no other option than “Hard and Fast” would do of course, which might not be palatable to the wider Parliamentary Labour Party. Thus, the Tories might think that “dawdling” offers them the best hope of staying in power, albeit with an even further reduced majority.

But the question is what people want from Brexit. Corbyn and McDonnell seem to have a clear view of what they want, although it’s not yet clear what the party as a whole thinks (although it seems to be going in the right direction).

But amongst those like Carryfast, there seems to be a view that “if it isn’t going to hurt it isn’t going to work”, that only a hard Brexit that causes chaos or involves some sort of show of subservience from the EU will be enough.

For example, Corbyn’s current agenda on ending free movement (which the whole Labour party now seems to support) and gaining the right of the state to nationalise infrastructure and invest in industry, the old Bennite agenda really, doesn’t really seem to be enough for “hard” Brexiteers.

(2) Brexit IS done, but the Tories then proceed to drag their feet with the re-allocation of the money no longer sent to Brussels. If they start the show by paying off the already wealthy […]

But what do you really expect the Tories to do with the money, other than cut taxes further for the wealthy? And bearing in mind that almost any sort of Brexit is probably going to involve costs that eat into the savings - not ruinous costs, I’m not forecasting doom, but something that leaves us worse off as a nation in the short-term not better off.

(4) Time passes, and by the next election, Labour manage to get more seats than the Tories… For the Tories to lose enough seats to fall below Labour’s tally either means that some minor parties are going to be picking up dozens of seats, or the Libdems are going to see the biggest come-back since Lazarus. I can’t see the Latter happening myself.

Me neither! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Someone like Rees-Mogg as Newly taken-over PM by that point - could be the backdoor that Farage is waiting for, before he gets of the sunken wreck that is UKIP already by this point. He won’t be joining the Libdems though, and Labour are likely to shoot him on site. :unamused:

Indeed, Farage is on the radical-right. What do you see in Rees-Mogg though? The man who describes £250k spent on politicians’ portraits as “chicken feed”?